AVIC411.com

engine noise please help!

i just installed the avic z1 in my car but im getting alot but i mean alot of engine noice coming out of the subs. it wasnt doing this before and i already check all my wiring. specially my grounds and i didnt find anything wrong. is it possible that the unit is bad? what can this probrem be??????
  • 1 month later...
[quote name="gilster85"]i just installed the avic z1 in my car but im getting alot but i mean alot of engine noice coming out of the subs. it wasnt doing this before and i already check all my wiring. specially my grounds and i didnt find anything wrong. is it possible that the unit is bad? what can this probrem be??????[/quote]

I just installed the Z1 and I'm also getting noise (constant low-volume hiss, even when nothing is playing; RPM whine; and shut-off boom noise); am wondering if you were successful and solving your noise problem and how you did it. P.S. I was also very careful about grounding - I went directly to the large metal structural tube running the entire car width behind my dash). Thanks.
You say that you used the metal tubing that runs through the dash to ground the unit. Did you just wrap the ground around the tube, or did you puncture the tube and use a screw to fasten the ground? Is there a ground wire from your stock radio that you could use? As for the POP...there's a circuit that you can get to stop that. I believe there are other posts about it.
[quote name="joe.rieger"]You say that you used the metal tubing that runs through the dash to ground the unit. Did you just wrap the ground around the tube, or did you puncture the tube and use a screw to fasten the ground? Is there a ground wire from your stock radio that you could use? As for the POP...there's a circuit that you can get to stop that. I believe there are other posts about it.[/quote]

There are two unused screws embedded in the steel tube; I found matching nuts and grounded the head unit's ground wire to one, and all the other grounds (approx. 7 of them!!! from all the different accessories) to the other. There's a ground from the car's stock stereo harness, but I was told to bypass it and go straight to the chassis.
I'd love to get more info on the circuit to stop the popping noise. Can you direct me closer to the posts.....
Here is the post about the circuit to stop popping:

[url=http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1690&highlight=pop]http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... hlight=pop[/url]

I would try moving the ground for the head unit to an alternate location and make sure it is secure. Sometimes if you have too many things grounded to the same location it can cause issues.