AVIC411.com

AVH-P6800 Navigation Accessory?

What option or accessory is that makes this a (Quasi) navigation system as well as a DVD Enterainment player? I know the AVG-VDP1 comes with a GPS module with it. But does this make it a navigation system as well? What I am trying to get at is it possible to be able to load Map Software and use the P6800DVD screen to bring it up? I don't eed 2 screens in my vehicle (too much clutter). The user manual seems to say it can navigate but doesn't give an accessory that would allow this to work? I would rather use Points of Interest like in the AVIC-Z1 rather than an address book? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Meza
Thanks for the reply. But what I am looking for is an add on that doesn't require the use of another head unit or another touch screen. Something that can be added on and be used through the AVH-P6800DVD touch screen. So far it seems like there isn't anything. It would seem that Pioneer would have or will make something that would be strickly a navigation add on for the head unit. Maybe in 2007. For now I guess I will just get by and get a AVIC-S1
The AVIC9/90/80/88 were all add-on navigation units. It can be installed indash or hidden away and it plugs into the yellow RGB connector on the back of your 6800dvd so you control everything from the touchscreen. The only drawback is they stopped making these units so you will have to buy an older one and so far they only sell the 2005 map disks for the standalone navis. You also cannot get navtraffic or add on the vehicle dynamics if you go this route

[quote name="mezam"]Thanks for the reply. But what I am looking for is an add on that doesn't require the use of another head unit or another touch screen. Something that can be added on and be used through the AVH-P6800DVD touch screen. So far it seems like there isn't anything. It would seem that Pioneer would have or will make something that would be strickly a navigation add on for the head unit. Maybe in 2007. For now I guess I will just get by and get a AVIC-S1[/quote]
You can make a hybrid disc with 2006 maps, or so I've been led to believe in the N1/N2/N3 section. I'm actually very curious why CNDV60 doesn't work. My AVIC-9DVD uses the same CPU and hardware as the AVIC-D1.

I'm not so sure NavTraffic wouldn't work. The 9DVD for sure has an RS-232 serial port with identical pinouts to the one on the D1 that's designed for NavTraffic. The RS-232 port is also connected to the same chip in both nav units so it makes me wonder. NavTraffic isn't available in my area so it's of no consequence to me, but I [i]am[/i] curious.
Some of the traffic info is transferred through the data cable so you would be missing info

[quote name="GnatGoSplat"]You can make a hybrid disc with 2006 maps, or so I've been led to believe in the N1/N2/N3 section. I'm actually very curious why CNDV60 doesn't work. My AVIC-9DVD uses the same CPU and hardware as the AVIC-D1.

I'm not so sure NavTraffic wouldn't work. The 9DVD for sure has an RS-232 serial port with identical pinouts to the one on the D1 that's designed for NavTraffic. The RS-232 port is also connected to the same chip in both nav units so it makes me wonder. NavTraffic isn't available in my area so it's of no consequence to me, but I [i]am[/i] curious.[/quote]
  • 2 weeks later...
Do the AVIC N1/N2/N3 Brain units use the same data cable? 30 Pin I believe. I noticed that the AVH-P6800DVD has a data port in the back, but I am unsure of how many pins there are. The install manual doesn't specify. Anyone happen to know? The brain units are goin for $200+ on ebay

Meza
Plugging that brain into your 6800dvd will not give you navigation

[quote name="mezam"]Do the AVIC N1/N2/N3 Brain units use the same data cable? 30 Pin I believe. I noticed that the AVH-P6800DVD has a data port in the back, but I am unsure of how many pins there are. The install manual doesn't specify. Anyone happen to know? The brain units are goin for $200+ on ebay

Meza[/quote]