AVIC411.com

D3 vs F90bt - Which one should I get?

Which unit is better?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which unit is better?

• D3
    • F90bt

I currently have the D3 in one of my cars and will be installing the F90 into a different car in the next few weeks. I have however installed a f700 into a friends car and have to say that there is a lag during start up but the F series does seem to have a number if features that I have to say are good improvements. I like the fact that BT is now built in instead of another module that needs to be installed. I also like the fact that I can play video from my 1st gen iPhone on the F series and the voice commands are also a nice touch. The F series does not support navTraffic if this is something you were wanting.

If you want iPod - then the answer is simple. The voice control on the F is a huge benefit - album art etc - very nice - much better interface. I love my F900 especially after the 2.0 update. It kicks ass despite all the nay sayers. Blue tooth is freaken awesome now - connected in a minute consistently and great sound quality.

Everyone has their own opinion so here is mine since you're asking for them.

The D3 was great by all means, but the F series is by far superior in technology. Sure, no XM traffic but MSNDirect traffic has better, or more widespread coverage. X.Mm traffic is $12 or so/month, MSNDirect is $124.00/Lifetime.

F-Series has built in blue tooth, and the F90BT even includes an Ipod cable. Nav is internal flash memory as opposed to swapping discs continuously.

Version 2.0 really speeds up the F series. I know there is more, just all I can think of at the moment. After checking out a friend's F90BT for a couple weeks while I borrowed his car, I immediately got one for my daily driver, transplanting my D3 into the Motor home. Hope this helps a little.

I just upgraded from the D3 to the F700BT. It's a tough call to say which one is better. I would say the D3 is more functional - it starts MUCH quicker than the F700/900 even after the 2.0 firmware upgrade on the F series. (5-10 seconds versus 30-40 seconds) It also doesn't lock the 2D maps into "north always" mode. I prefer to have the map rotate so the direction I'm driving shows north on the display but on the F series this feature has been removed. I checked with Pioneer tech support and they confirmed it.

On the plus side for the new F series - the screen is much higher resolution (800x600 versus 480x320 I think) and looks incredible! It is slightly smaller than the D3 but more than makes up for that with the beautiful graphics. The menu system is much cleaner and better laid out. There are lots of little improvements too like Ipod album art being displayed onscreen.

Bottom line : Get the D3 if you want a functional, fast performing GPS. (Just make sure to get the upgraded map disc too.) Get the F series if you just want to impress people. I've got 30 days to return my F700 to Future Shop and go back to my D3. I am still trying to decide, but I am leaning towards keeping my old D3. The longer startup times and the North-locking thing on the 2D maps drive me nuts.