AVIC411.com

hardware bypass mod Q (searched)

I will be installing my F90BT this weekend. I need to use the mute wire for my onstar retention. I have been reading and reading and reading, and did not see a definative answer but it LOOKS like I can attach another wire where the mute wire is moved to, leaving the mure wire in tact and working properly? I am thinking about the power antenna wire since I do not have a power ant. I am going to verify it uses the same pin layout. I don't see why not, so I should be able to put it in the 4th hole between the 2 black wires and everything will be golden?

Thanks.

Brian

I will be installing my F90BT this weekend. I need to use the mute wire for my onstar retention. I have been reading and reading and reading, and did not see a definative answer but it LOOKS like I can attach another wire where the mute wire is moved to, leaving the mure wire in tact and working properly? I am thinking about the power antenna wire since I do not have a power ant. I am going to verify it uses the same pin layout. I don't see why not, so I should be able to put it in the 4th hole between the 2 black wires and everything will be golden?

Thanks.

Brian

You are correct, the only reason the mute wire is used is that in 95% of the installs, it's never used, grabbing an unused antenna control wire will work fine.

Well, that was a fail. the pin diameter is larger for the pins on the black harness. I am thinking about just doing the software mod, or disconnecting the rear video pins and connect one of those there. I've still got a few days... Has anyone bought a replaceement plug/ idea on cost?

Thanks for the reply.

Brian

what kind of car is this? i have an 08 cobalt with premium sound and onstar and didnt use the mute wire and my onstar still works fine....

I believe the issue will be that OnStar will not automatically mute the AVIC without the mute wire (but that's the only issue I see)

I totally spaced on the antenna wires being in the other bigger harness, so yeah, no joy there.

Ya, it looks like Onstar will not mute the Avic without that connection. Either way, I'd like to keep it. I do have 2 other accessory lines though, one coming off of the GMAHLAN and one coming off of the GMLNAV (ties all the wires you need for install together for VSS and reverse and some others together) so I am going to use the accessory off of the harness for the bypass wire.

Thanks for the views and comments. I think I have it figured out.

Brian