AVIC411.com

F700 Bypass works... but Improper Parking Brake Message???

I did the hardwire bypass, moved the wire/pin and grounded the mute and the parking brake wire. But every time I drive my Jeep at some point the "IMPROPER PARKING BRAKE CONNECTION" Safety message comes up. I can still watch videos off of my ipod but I have to hit "OK" to clear that message off the screen.... :?:? Any thoughts of what it could be? Ive checked the connections and made sure the wire/pin was in good and everything appears to be connected right... Im stummped! :roll::?:roll:

Yep, the parking brake wire isn't correctly grounded.

Sounds more like the bypass "aka mute" wire isn't properly grounded.

No it doesn't, if that was the case he wouldn't be able to watch video at all. Since the OP specified that he can watch video, but has to dismiss the parking brake screen, that means that the bypass was completed successfully, but the parking brake wire was not grounded.

Strangely enough I have had exactly the same experience.

I'm absolutely positive the hardware bypass was performed correctly and checked, rechecked and rechecked again.

Even resoldered the wires, but still the same result.

After the software bypass all is well.

Yep, the parking brake wire isn't correctly grounded.

Sounds more like the bypass "aka mute" wire isn't properly grounded.

No it doesn't, if that was the case he wouldn't be able to watch video at all. Since the OP specified that he can watch video, but has to dismiss the parking brake screen, that means that the bypass was completed successfully, but the parking brake wire was not grounded.

I respectfully and completely disagree. If the parking brake wire were not grounded, he couldn't watch videos or enter nav destinations. It's the bypass wire being grounded that gets rid of the parking brake warning.

Okay, then you can respectfully and completely be wrong. Look, I'm not trying to be an ass, but that's just not the case. If you don't do the bypass, you can't view video in motion, regardless of what you do with the parking brake. If you do the bypass, you can watch video in motion (and access all of the other menus), but you'll get that warning unless you either:

a. Connect the parking brake lead properly to your car's parking brake circuit and engage the brake.

b. Simply ground the parking brake lead (which performs the same function as a, but without having to actually engage the brake).

Maybe it depends on WHERE he grounded it too, which the OP did not specify. Could be a weak ground.

As for the mute wire / parking brake wire dispute, the bypass will not work if EITHER of those 2 are not grounded, and since he's able to watch movies it's safe to conclude that they both are grounded, and since he checked them over and over, it's even safer.

Okay, let's try some logic on this.

We know that to allow video and some other features while moving, at least two of three things has to be done.

1. The parking brake sense lead has to be grounded all the time.

2. The bypass pin has to be grounded all the time (usually done my moving the otherwise unused mute pin to the bypass location).

-or-

3. The software mod must be done.

The OP has done the hardware mod, so we can forget about (3) for now.

We know that the OP is able to watch video in motion, at least some of the time. This means, as CatchMeIfYouCan has said, that both grounds must be working at least some of the time.

Now, the OP has said that sometimes, they get the warning that the parking brake sense lead is improperly connected. We know that this means the AVIC sees that the parking brake sense is grounded, but the car is in motion. We also know that it will not display this warning if the bypass lead is properly grounded. Don't take my word for it, search all the posts where someone has only done the parking brake grounding part of the mod.

It is clear that sometimes the ground to the bypass pin is failing. From reading these forums, it is not an uncommon problem. The issue is that the tiny JST pin on the mute wire is very very easy to damage in the process of moving it from the mute location to the bypass location. This damage is not easy to see, unless you work with these pins all the time. (Yes, as it happens I do.)

The OP needs to take the bypass pin out of the connector shell and bend its contacts in slightly and reinstall.

The correct way to remove one of these JST pins is to take an X-acto Knife (or very small flat blade screwdriver) and slightly lift up on the plastic tab over that pin. The pin is then removed by gently pulling on the wire it is attached to.

This is all there is to it. There's no mystery here. I wouldn't say this (that the bypass is the problem) if I had not experimented and determined it to be absolutely true.

Anyone who is not convinced (you know who you are), please try this at home.

Ground the bypass wire, and don't ground the parking brake wire. Then please tell us your results. I'll tell you what they are.

1. You can't play video in motion and many options are grayed out. This is true if the car is in motion, or if it is not.

2. You will never, ever get the parking brake connected improperly message.

Ground the parking brake wire and don't ground the bypass wire. Your results will be.

1. Everything works while the car is still.

2. When in motion, you will get the parking brake is improperly attached message and some stuff will stop working.

Ground the parking brake wire and the bypass wire. Your results will be.

1. Everything works, in motion or not.

2. There is never a warning about the parking brake.

Now, while moving, disconnect the ground to the bypass wire. Guess what. You get the parking brake warning, just like the problem the OP has.

The purpose of this forum is to help people. It is counter to that purpose when you post things that are incorrect because you think that's how it works, but you don't know for sure because you haven't tried it.