AVIC411.com

Sirius XM Preparing to File for Bankruptcy

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/10/report-sirius-xm-preparing-to-file-for-bankruptcy/

This is bad news. I hope they get bought out by Echostar, but I doubt it in this economic climate. It will suck not having an alternative to Terrestrial radio when it comes to new music. Will have to stick to iPod when/if satellite radio is no more.

The quality of programming both content (yammering DJs) and sound quality have dropped significantly for me since the merger, but still will miss it when gone.

Hopefully then the management can be changed up and get rid of the terrestrial-radio owning screwheads from Sirius. Then maybe we can get rid of the blathering DJs and get rid of some of the Artist only channels to free up bandwidth for better SQ across the board.

I'm still pissed about the loss of the Fine Tuning channel, found it just weeks before it went off the air.

whoa whoa fine tuning channel? details!

also, i have noticed that my reception blows most of the time, going to marginal just from going under trees, and sometimes for no reason at all in a clear sky. any ideas? i just have the 10xmt and the stock antenna on my dash.

whoa whoa fine tuning channel? details!

Sorry to excite. I meant that I miss the channel "Fine Tuning" the got taken off when XM and Sirius merged music channels a couple months back. There was/is no new channel to replace it. I WISH they would would bring back FT or atleast a suitable replacement.

Also, yeah, it is BS with Stern sucking $100 mil out of the company each year. That however supposedly covers not just stern but everyone involved with the broadcast. BTW, not a Stern fan here, so for all I care they got rid of him. What the company needs to do is get rid of the damn DJs blathering all over my music channels. I don't mind a few seconds of talk, but sometimes these people are yakking for minutes on end and it feels like FM. They really need to make the music channels more like that of the Music Choice channels on cable/DTV where its just pure streaming music 24/7. Oh well.

Stern is rumored to make a salary of around $10 mil per year plus his stock bonuses. The rest of that $100 mil/year goes to pay everyone else on the show, production costs for his and all the other shows on 100/101, etc. Worth it if you ask me. Its not his fault the company got screwed by the SEC and its leadership overspent on trying to aquire subscribers

• 3 weeks later...
the NYT article talks of a Ch. 11 reorganization rather than a Ch 7 liquidation, so I don't think the service is going to go away.

That's absolutely unreal that Howard Stern costs them $100m year, though.

Yeah that was what happen to circuit city. file chap 11 and 2 months later they started to liquidate.
  • 2 weeks later...

As an update to this, they were "bailed out" by Liberty Media Corp. just recently. Should save them from bankruptcy for another few years. Now, they need to worry about getting delisted from the NASDAQ. In order to avoid that, they will need to get their share price above $1. No easy task when they are currently sitting at $.16.

They also recently reported "pro forma" numbers for 2007 (they are reporting post-merger subs and income numbers as if they were pre and post-merger) that were better than forecast. It's very exciting to see where this company goes from here. Mr. Karmazin definitely needs to change the company's focus to better hardware, better customer service, and PR issues (when's the last time you saw a commercial for SatRad?)

You can listen to the conference call concerning their most recent SEC filing (if you're interested) today the 12th at 0800 ET at http://investor.sirius.com or on Sirius Channel 126 or XM Channel 90.

As a disclaimer, I do own stock in SiriusXM.