AVIC411.com

F700bt into 99F350

I installed one in my 2003 F150, it had a DDIN unit with the 4 holes in the front just like yours. I had to use a dremel to cut into the plastic behind the unit, it sounds worse then it is. Once you install the trim, and radio in you can't even tell you cut anything. Looking at the dash kits online it seems your 99 uses the same single din kit as my 03, however they don't list your truck as having a double din kit available that I can see. However considering we use the same single din kit, I can't think of a reason why the double din kit for my truck wouldn't work in yours. I believe it's metra p/n 95-5818. I also believe American International's FMK552 would work as well, but you would have to cut out the single din divider.

I have used the single din kit in my 99 that came out of my Crown Vic. When I went to Best buy to look for a kit, they don't show 1. Then their installer pulled out a kit for a 2001+ and said, "Those trucks are all the same, just use this 1". I told him that there is no place to mount the brackets that hold the radio in and that's the problem. He then said "ohh then you can't put it in". I refuse to believe that. I don't mind a little fab work. So long as when its all said and done, I can return it to stock and you can't tell anythings been done.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get that exact radio in a 2003 F150, I can't say for sure but if you bought either of the two kits I mentioned above I believe you could make it work. Like I said the plastic clips screw into the F700, and then click into the factory plastic. Nothing gets screwed/bolted in to the dash. It all just clicks into place. You would likely have to dremel a little bit from the top and bottom, but all of that is done behind the face plate, and not visible once you slide the stereo in.

Parts: Metra kit for the faceplate, wiring harness adapter, soldering iron, solder, shrink wrap, fine screwdrivers (for the hardware bypass), dremel w/bits, xacto knife w/ straight blade, Ford radio removal tool or equivalent, zip ties or electrical tape.

The labor side:

1.) Prep the wiring; on your table, connect the Pioneer harness to the adapter. If so inclined, do the hardware bypass at this time: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=bypass

2.) Remove the old radio using the Ford tools.

3.) Remove the dash cover, and take it to your bench. The radio hole will have a lip around the perimeter; carefully remove the lip with the dremel and the xacto blade. You want to end up with a smooth radio hole all the way around.

4.) Determine where to install the GPS antenna- I put mine under the dash; I cleaned the ducting behind and above the radio area, then used the stick-on baseplate on the top of the duct (flat area). GPS antenna base is magnetic, and it stuck onto the baseplate.

5.) Determine where to place the microphone- I placed mine in the top of the A pillar, pointing towards the driver. I drilled a hole, then used a grommet to mount the mike. Cabling runs under the dash to the radio.

6.) Determine where to place the USB/iPod wiring: I placed mine in the cubby in the dash above the right knee. I drilled a hole in the back of the cubby large enough for the iPod adapter cable (USB and RCA connectors) to pass thru, and installed the cable.

7.) Install the sideplates from the Metra kit onto the new radio. You want to install the sideplates so the front edge of the plate is even with the front edge of the radio chassis, NOT even with the front of the touch-screen. Put the faceplate on the radio, and test fit the unit in the dash you modified earlier. Make any changes you need to make to the dash now- the radio with faceplate should be an even fit into the radio hole.

8.) Zip tie any loose/excess wiring on the radio, and in the dash. Connect the wiring harnesses, the radio antenna, GPS antenna, USB/RCA connectors, and mike, and test everything BEFORE installing!

9.) After passing run test, install the radio. I won't post in public how I secure the radio into the car, but I can assure you that it's secure.

10.) Reinstall the dash. Don't worry about the screws above the radio.

Total time to install is about 1.5/2 hours, not including how much time you take to determine where you want to mount the GPS antenna, iPod cable, and mike.

PM me with any questions/comments.