AVIC411.com

My D3 to F90BT Experience

Last December my D3 got stolen. I finally got my insurance money and bought a F90BT to replace it. I knew the F series had some issues, but I had no idea they would be this bad. My unit is supposed to have the 2.0 update installed. I didn't want to try any other navigation systems, because I was already set up for everything to plug-in play with pioneer units.

Here is my list of annoyances with this unit compared to the D3. I'm seriously considering selling this unit and going back with the D3.

1. Takes way to long for the backup camera to come up.

2. Unit still takes a long time to boot up with the 2.0 update installed.

3. Operation of the unit lags quite a bit. Kinda like a old computer running programs it can barely run.

4. No track up on 2D mode. Pioneer programmers must have been smoking something to miss this. I hear there is another update that might fix this. That would make the unit more usable.

5. In 3D mode the track arrow is huge. There is no need for this. However, I hear this can be modified.

6. In 3D mode you can't zoom out enough.

7. When searching for a POI I want to be able to type in the name of the place and have the unit try and narrow down my search as I go. D3 did this.

8. There is no way to have the navigation lady speak over the music. I don't want my music to mute every time she speaks.

9. No remote control.

10. The map moves in a jerky manner, and it takes awhile to register that I've already turned. The D3 was much faster in this aspect. Yes, I have the VSS wire connected.

11. The volume knob is almost useless. I know you can get replacement knobs, but another thing pioneer overlooked.

12. No motion sensors. I kinda liked that feature on the D3.

I guess I'll list some positives.

1. Graphics are much better than the D3.

2. Integrated bluetooth.

3. Ipod cable came with unit.

5. Shows elevation. D3 didn't.

6. Can be modified easier.

7. Like the D3 this unit is easily bypassed. I won't buy a unit that can't be bypassed.

Edit: I did play with this unit in the store, but some of these things you don't find out until you actually use the unit.

I also just "upgraded" from a D3 to the F700. I had been eying the F700 on sale for $699 CDN and finally upgraded when I had issues with my D3. Of course my issues were self inflicted by using a bad burnt copy of the new Pioneer Map CD.

I have to say I agree with all your points, the F series has some major annoyances. The top 2 for me are the ridiculous long boot-up time and the no track up option. I've since burned a good copy of the new maps for the D3 and am considering switching back. But every day I look at the gorgeous screen on the F700 it makes it harder to decide. Can I live with 30 second load times and upside-down 2D maps in exchange for better graphics? Tough call..

I really wish Pioneer was more helpful. If they promised that they were addressing these issues in a version 3 firmware I would stick with my F700 but right now I don't know.

I agree with most all of your points. The lack of remote is retarded! Aren't they embarrassed that you can but a cheapo pioneer cd player for less than $100 (probably less than $70 online) and it comes with a remote control? But for $1200 you're screwed if your car doesn't have factory steering wheel controls. How the hell am I supposed to change presets from the map screen without pressing like five buttons on the touch screen that take like two seconds each to react? Anyhoo, I think problem #8 on your list is fixable in the settings. Totally agree with the rest though

wow....i couldn't agree with your points more. what my biggest problem is w/ the f90 is not the fact that it loads for very long, but the fact that every turn/exit/ or whatever i take, the unit reacts like 2-3 seconds later. that pisses me soooo off. and when im on a road that the map doesn't have, that stupid arrow is so confused and keeps on spinnin....

wow....i couldn't agree with your points more. what my biggest problem is w/ the f90 is not the fact that it loads for very long, but the fact that every turn/exit/ or whatever i take, the unit reacts like 2-3 seconds later. that pisses me soooo off. and when im on a road that the map doesn't have, that stupid arrow is so confused and keeps on spinnin....

Oh, yeah I forgot about that one. Yeah, the D3 would just keep straight like you were flying or something.

Makes 3D mode useless when the road isn't there, then you can't do track up on 2D mode to make it better :?

your issues #1 & #2;

I am very new to the F-series but since I ALWAYS back in to where ever I am going to park (unless I can drive through to be able to drive out) I don't have to wait at all for the back up camera. As a matter of fact my reverse cam comes on so quick that even shifting (GMC truck) from park to drive the Reverse camera comes on for an instant. (but I do use my remote start so I can't complain about long boot time I am reading about)

#4) Agreed took me 10 mins of search the displays and settings to finally decide to read the CD owners manual! To find it doesn't exist! PIONEER HELLO!

#5) Yep there is a hack to address this.

#9) Yes! Why not provide a remote? (could solve #11 also)

#11) Factory steering wheel controls addresses most of these issues for some.

Very good list and spot on for the most part.

your issues #1 & #2;

I am very new to the F-series but since I ALWAYS back in to where ever I am going to park (unless I can drive through to be able to drive out) I don't have to wait at all for the back up camera. As a matter of fact my reverse cam comes on so quick that even shifting (GMC truck) from park to drive the Reverse camera comes on for an instant. (but I do use my remote start so I can't complain about long boot time I am reading about)

#4) Agreed took me 10 mins of search the displays and settings to finally decide to read the CD owners manual! To find it doesn't exist! PIONEER HELLO!

#5) Yep there is a hack to address this.

#9) Yes! Why not provide a remote? (could solve #11 also)

#11) Factory steering wheel controls addresses most of these issues for some.

Very good list and spot on for the most part.

Yeah, after the unit as already booted up the backup camera works fairly quickly, but still not as fast as the D3. When just starting up the vehicle and backing up I'm already completely backed out before the back up camera comes on.

is it just me or do the buttons also respond wayyyyyy to slow if you click on them twice?

and i have the pac remote thing for my steering wheel. that thing ALWAYS skips songs when i hit it, and it never adjusts the volume right. it either skips or doesn't do anything.

there is like a waiting period of whatever button you push, u gotta wait 2-4 seconds before you can push it again on the steering wheel

Oh, yeah I forgot about that one. Yeah, the D3 would just keep straight like you were flying or something.

Makes 3D mode useless when the road isn't there, then you can't do track up on 2D mode to make it better :?

it even gets better if you park on a parking lot next to a major road. at first the 3D mode won't figure out what just happened and keep spinning, n then it will just think u r actually back on the main road even tho u haven't moved!! lol