AVIC411.com

Brunt dvds wont play in my Z1

DVD shrink will do it all (to the point i was making, that may not have been on point to the OP)...

Put in your dvd, open dvd shrink... go to Re-author.... then what i do is, take off ALL of the menus, and just put the main movie file in... then you go to custom ratios.... and shrink the file to about 4.3 gigs..... and rip it...

when you burn it with nero... you just add the video FOLDER....

your finished DVD comes out... u put it into your dvd player.. and it STARTS the movie.. no menus, no hoopla, no hassle.. JUST the movie... i like that 10023984039284times better..
One important thing everyone overlooked (I am surprised no one else mentioned it before) is that most DVD players do not play some media not because they cannot, but because they "think" they cannot. I'll explain:

All media is indexed with something called a BOOKTYPE. This means that it reports what kind of media it is, kinda like a signature.

Most players will read the booktype of a disk (CD/CD+R/CD-R/DVD ROM/ DVD+R/DVD-R/ etc...) and compare it with an internal "supported" formats list, and if there is no match they will not even ATTEMPT to play the media!!! The disk will be considered unreadable.

To get around this ( had to use this trick to get my DVD's to play in the Z1 ) you can change the booktype of media. Remember however that a booktype change is only possible with DVD+R or DVD+R DL media. CD+R or CD+RW will not work ( not that I know of anyway )

A lot of the better DVD burners ( BenQ for example ) supply a nice utility to force the drive in booktyping mode to always burn DVD+R and DVD+R DL as the factory pressed "DVD ROM" booktype.

DVD ROM is the UNIVERSALLY suported media format that ALL DVD players will play, regardless! Keep in mind that you still need a properly created DVD with both the "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" folders and the correct VOB encodding. Encryption does NOT come into play here.

[url=http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/][color=orange]HERE[/color][/url] is a utility to enable this on you NEC drive. Simmilar utilities and fixed firmware options exist for most DVD burners to enable booktyping, among other cool things... :-) But this is dangerous so do this at your own risk!!

Ideal burning scenario for Video DVD's is:

- Burn at fastest reliable speed
- Burn with Verify ON
- Burn with DVD ROM Booktype Set on the Drive
- Burn to DVD+R or DVD+R DL media
- Burn to quality media like Verbatim
- Burn in the proper DVD format
- Ensure your content is encoded in proper DVD format.

Watch out for DTS only movies and remember that while the above will get you going 90% of the time, there is no 100% sucess rate with burned medias going beyond booktype some DVD player lasers will not like all media brands.

P.S. Booktyping works so well that I used to make backups of all my AVIC-N1 DVD9 media using DVD+R DL and ran only off of the backups to avoid damaging the originals. Without booktyping this would have never worked....
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote name="SemoTech"]One important thing everyone overlooked (I am surprised no one else mentioned it before) is that most DVD players do not play some media not because they cannot, but because they "think" they cannot. I'll explain:

All media is indexed with something called a BOOKTYPE. This means that it reports what kind of media it is, kinda like a signature.

Most players will read the booktype of a disk (CD/CD+R/CD-R/DVD ROM/ DVD+R/DVD-R/ etc...) and compare it with an internal "supported" formats list, and if there is no match they will not even ATTEMPT to play the media!!! The disk will be considered unreadable.

To get around this ( had to use this trick to get my DVD's to play in the Z1 ) you can change the booktype of media. Remember however that a booktype change is only possible with DVD+R or DVD+R DL media. CD+R or CD+RW will not work ( not that I know of anyway )

A lot of the better DVD burners ( BenQ for example ) supply a nice utility to force the drive in booktyping mode to always burn DVD+R and DVD+R DL as the factory pressed "DVD ROM" booktype.

DVD ROM is the UNIVERSALLY suported media format that ALL DVD players will play, regardless! Keep in mind that you still need a properly created DVD with both the "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" folders and the correct VOB encodding. Encryption does NOT come into play here.

[url=http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/][color=orange]HERE[/color][/url] is a utility to enable this on you NEC drive. Simmilar utilities and fixed firmware options exist for most DVD burners to enable booktyping, among other cool things... :-) But this is dangerous so do this at your own risk!!

Ideal burning scenario for Video DVD's is:

- Burn at fastest reliable speed
- Burn with Verify ON
- Burn with DVD ROM Booktype Set on the Drive
- Burn to DVD+R or DVD+R DL media
- Burn to quality media like Verbatim
- Burn in the proper DVD format
- Ensure your content is encoded in proper DVD format.

Watch out for DTS only movies and remember that while the above will get you going 90% of the time, there is no 100% sucess rate with burned medias going beyond booktype some DVD player lasers will not like all media brands.

P.S. Booktyping works so well that I used to make backups of all my AVIC-N1 DVD9 media using DVD+R DL and ran only off of the backups to avoid damaging the originals. Without booktyping this would have never worked....[/quote]

[url=http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php]http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php[/url]