AVIC411.com

NEW to forum: Help with install D3 to Prelude 2001

HI guys im new to the forum trying to learn how to install the D3 into my honda prelude 2001. So far i got my radio taken out and i just got the wiretap to bypass it.

Was wondering if there are any previous write ups for honda prelude installation. I searched but came up with nothing.. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks for the response.. i did post on preludepower there is no write up that i can find.. i found a 350z and a civic write but im not sure if its the same.. so far i got the trim off and my original radio out.. i dont know how to start the rest or where to start.. do i need to know how to solder?

and for the bypass part do i just pull the cord out and plug it into the lower slot?

Not sure if you're still looking for help...but what are you hung up on? Is there any special bypass harness that you need for an install in a Honda (i.e. GM needs a box to bypass the chimes & onstar audio, etc.)? If not, buy a basic wiring harness for your vehicle (available at any car audio store, walmart, ebay, etc) and then splice the wires accordingly.

You can use butt/crimp connectors or solder...whatever you feel like doing. Solder is better, some say, but I've never used anything other than butt connectors and have never has an issue. Typically, I bring the new harness in the house with the new radio, make all possible connections there, and then bring it out to the car and plug it in to make sure it's right before physically installing it.

After that, it's just a matter of doing the DVD/Nav bypass workaround if you so choose...but you might want to make sure everything works the first time around, before you go messing with other important wires in your less-than-confident situation. However, as matlock mentioned, pry out the mute wire by releasing the white tab with a pin or knife point, then plug it in to the appropriate slot.

I would assume the RCA's come in to play if you have a factory or add-on amp...?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got this from the Toronto Prelude Club when i was looking for the VSS wire.

The VSS wire on 5th gens is also located right behind the deck. Theres a harness attached to a metal bar behind your deck, if I remember correctly its the far left harness and its a blue/white wire.

Same wire goes to the ECU, which is under the pass side carpet.