AVIC411.com

Just got a N2 for FREE!!!!!!!

I am a car salesman, and I traded in a car and the customer took out the whole system except for the HU. So I asked him about it, he said he left it because the screen didn't work. So before I turned it in to the used car dept, I took it out, along with everything needed. I got the HU, brains, iPod adapter, wires, cables, GPS antenna. Everything that he had hooked up to it, I got. I have a few "connections" at a couple of custom shops, so I figured I might be able to get it fixed cheap. I am always sending them business. So I was searching Pioneers websight (for the owners manuals), and I found the "Flex Cable free repair". So I called and sent it in already, they said I should have it back by next fri.

Before I sent it in, I checked and it was not "modded". So I bought a conductive pen and I will mod it before I install it. This brings me to my 1st question. I forgot to check to see if the DVD was in the HU. If it isn't, then I am gonna need a new one. Can I just get the CNDV-80MT East disk (be nice to have the newer maps)? Or do I have to find a DVD that it originally came with it, the CNDV-50MT East, I think? I'm pretty sure I'll get the 80MT East anyways, for the newer maps. Will the 80MT disk do anything to the mod? Anybody willing to help me out, PM if you can.

I am also worried about where I am going to install the brain. I'm putting it in a 91 Camaro, so not a lot of room. I'm hoping it'll fit under the passengers seat. But the floorboard has a hump there because the cat converter is under it. I already have an amp under the drivers seat, so I really hope it fits under the passenger seat. Any ideas? My dash is just foam, so I want to put the GPS antenna under the center of the dash. Will that work? Or does the antenna need to sit on top of the dash?

Since I got this for free, I'm willing to spend some money for upgrades. I'm def getting the voice command. And I'm thinking about the Bluetooth as well. The iPod unit is corroded and a pin in the plug for the + hook up is missing, so it's trash. But I don't have an iPod anyways, I just thought it be cool in case someone riding with me had theirs with them. But I hear the N2 iPod capabilities suck anyways, I may still get one if I can find a used one. I was also thinking about getting a rear view camera designed to be mounted on the rear tag, I'm assuming I can hook it up the the brain. Or do I have to get the Pioneer camera? Also, does the Bluetooth use the same mic as the voice command? Or will I have to have 2 mics?

After 2 days of searching, I'm still unsure about N3 or N4 brain swap. What benefits, any downsides? Keep in mind I will have a modded unit, and would like the newest maps possible.

Sorry for all the question, but I am an Alpine guy, always had, and currently have, Alpine HU for at least 10 years. But I will say this. One of my customers bought a Mitsubishi Evo9MR and had a Pioneer flip up NAV put in right away. I loved it, just couldn't afford it.

Well, first thing to catch my eye was that you asked about an N3/N4 brain swap. They are completely different, the N1/2/3 share a compatible platform, but the N4/5 share another. As for the bluetooth, you're probably going to hate it. And the iPod interface, well, it's ...s......l.....o.....w....

Also, your idea of putting the GPS antenna under the dash pad should work fine, and the brain should fit above the under-dash cover on the passenger side of the dash - if you still have one. The map upgrades should not give you any problems. If you decide to add the bluetooth adapter, you will have 2 mics, one for VC, and one for BT. And, any aftermarket camera will work with the N2, as long as it has a standard, RCA-style video output.

Got my unit back from Pioneer, 1 day early! I have to say, I'm impressed. They ended up charging me the $200 fee, but since I got it for free, I didn't mind. They replace these parts:

CXC4634

Description: GRILLE ASSY (I'm not sure what this is, they didn't say anything about this when they called me.)

Retail Price: $50.95

CXC6790

Description: MECH DRIVE ASSY (They told me on the phone it was just a bent shaft gear.)

Retail Price: $89.95

And they did the flex cable upgrade of coarse:

GXX1257A

Description: SERVICE KIT

Retail Price: $39.95

So that's $141 in parts ($181 if you count the flex cable), that's not bad for $200 total when you include the labor. And now I have a warranty!

The genuine Pioneer CNDV-80MT east disc I bought on eBay for $23 shipped arrived today as well.

• 4 months later...