AVIC411.com

AVIC F90BT vs Kenwood DNX9140

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting the videos. I had read the Kenwood quickstart online and it described only the voice commands that you demonstrated. Should I assume that "Play Artist" and "Play Album" don't work and you must search by letter and give a line number? Also, I know it comes with a wireless remote, and a wired voice button. Is there a voice button on the wireless remote? Is there a voice button on the unit itself?

Should I assume that "Play Artist" and "Play Album" don't work and you must search by letter and give a line number? Also, I know it comes with a wireless remote, and a wired voice button. Is there a voice button on the wireless remote? Is there a voice button on the unit itself?

Yes that is correct. You can not say, "Play Billy Idol" You have to search by artist, album, playlist, ect. and choose your options by line number. And yes, there is a voice button on the wireless remote that comes with the unit.

Thanks for the post. Very informative. Have you been able to find a sight/forum dedicated to the Kenwood DNX? That would be the cherry on top, to have a user community as good as the AVIC community.

No none Kenwood community at this time.

hey VBLUE, i posted this on your video but a few questions...

1.) What ipod did you use ?

2.) Did video work from the ipod?

3.) Does this unit support videos from USB/SD? Or still just MP3?

4.) How much did you end up paying for this? Is it worth the major $$$? Do you recommend others wait for the price to drop in a few months? (I doubt it will drop that much anyways.

Thanks for posting the vids... They are very helpful in making a decision on the unit.

I've gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in the voice command. I don't really see the point of having voice command if you still have to look at the screen to direct the unit (line1, line3, etc.). It's especially disappointing that it doesn't understand name/number inputs for addresses. Even my old Z2 does this (and does it well).

Is there any way around the track skipping lag? Can you disable the album art, or find any other workaround? That is a pretty big issue for me, and reeks of a forced early release.

I guess what has the potential to set this unit apart from the F-Series is Kenwood's support. If they jump on the track skipping delay issue (and the GPS firmware update message issue), I will be impressed. I sincerely hope they do not drag their feet and release a half-assed fix like Pioneer did for the F-Series.

A couple of general questions, if you don't mind:

Have you noticed any menu lag at all?

I assume this unit can use XM or Sirius Traffic instead of MSN Direct?

It's hard to see the screen in the vid, but is there any way to skip a track while viewing the map screen (without using the steering wheel buttons)?

Thanks in advance for your help. I really appreciate the videos and the information.

Dave

It's especially disappointing that it doesn't understand name/number inputs for addresses.

I did state that in the vid but I was mistaken, It does allow full voice control to enter address.

Is there any way around the track skipping lag? Can you disable the album art, or find any other workaround? That is a pretty big issue for me, and reeks of a forced early release.

I will be calling Kenwood today about this.

A couple of general questions, if you don't mind:

Have you noticed any menu lag at all?

No.

I assume this unit can use XM or Sirius Traffic instead of MSN Direct?

I believe it does, check the Kenwood site for details.

It's hard to see the screen in the vid, but is there any way to skip a track while viewing the map screen (without using the steering wheel buttons)?

Only from the supplied remote control.

Is there any way around the track skipping lag? Can you disable the album art, or find any other workaround?

Dave

Just called Kenwood about the minor issues I have found. As always when I have talked to them, the rep was very receptive and I could hear what sounded like him typing up the issues I have found to be looked into. I will report back here when I receive a response.