AVIC411.com

Z1 screen intermittently stuck

I searched a couple pages and saw that I am not the only one with this problem. Some people's screens partially work (tilt/open), and some don't move at all.

My screen either works perfectly or it won't move at all. Kinda sounds like loose wiring to me, or maybe something occasionally gets stuck in the gears? Other than the confirmation beep, I don't hear the motor or anything at all. I really don't know what to make of this. Like many others, I get the "beep" to drop the screen, but nothing happens. When I try to Tilt +, I get a beep, then it exits the tilt screen menu. I have had this thing since July 2006. It's the version that allowed me to flick my lights for the bypass (before I upgraded to garret's Z3 drive). The screen functions have worked flawlessly until a month ago.

In my searches, some people mentioned a ribbon cable that you can't really see unless it's open. Even then, you don't want to touch it. Somebody mentioned removing a sticker to access the gears--is this the white/black pioneer sticker? Someone mentioned the screen coming off track--mine slides all the way up/down with no problem...when it works, so that probably isn't it. Did I miss anything or read something wrong?

My screen had been motionless all day, then when I tried it 30 minutes ago, it opened like it was 2006 all over again. I'm fairly confused, and definitely frustrated with this thing. If anybody can point out anything that I may have missed, please chime in. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

any updates abhout this or maybe where you might be able to point me in the direction of other posts/threads about this.

I have same exact unit (flashing headligths, bought in june of '06, etc) and for me it seemed to happen in the hotter months of summer (never happened in winter or fall) so i thought maybe a humidity issue. Well, there was a time that it would do it (well, not do it (slide out)) for about a day or so... then next day, after it cooled down overnight and in morning it would pop out like, as you said, it was 2006 all over again. BUT i am now dealing with it not sliding out for about a month now, and getting really discouraged.

I tried resetting unit by disconnecting battery, maybe later i will try hard boot or whatever else they call it in the manual for rebooting... BUT might you something else in mind as to the issue or resolve for this?

pls thx

This is what worked for me. I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but feel free to try at your won risk.

-Pull out the HU, but leave all of the wiring connected.

-Remove/peel back the white Pioneer sticker on the bottom. This will reveal a crescent-moonish shaped hole.

-Inside that, you will see 1-3 holes on a thin metal sheet (it's been a while, so I don't remember how many holes you can see).

This is where it gets just a little tricky.

-Turn on the power (key to ACC/on).

-Raise the HU so you can see the bottom.

-Push the button to open the screen

-**Within two or three seconds** Take a sturdy paperclip and move the holes mentioned above either left or right (I for get which way, but I think you move it counter-clockwise). Don't force it too much--If you go the wrong way, you will only make the screen shut tighter. Also, once the screen opens under its own power, the holes will move fast. Be prepared to pull out the paperclip quickly. For this reason, I used what I guess can be described as a flicking motion to move the holes.

This has happened to me 2-3 times, and the process described above has worked every time. Luckily, I haven't had the problem since early this year. If it happens again, I will see which way I have to rotate the holes to open the screen. Without pushing any buttons, I'll try moving the holes in the "open" direction ~1/8". I have a feeling that doing so will keep the screen from shutting so tight that it can't open on its own. Also, try masking off the surrounding area. You don't want to scratch up your dash in the process.

not sure if this makes a difference or not... but i am still able to open the face/screen by hitting the button on the left to insert/eject cd's... that still works fine... it is the booting up and shutting down that the screen has no outward or inward motion going on...

Again, not sure if that makes a difference, just wanted to make mention that I can still load/unload CD's w/o any trouble.

pls thx

matt