AVIC411.com

CNDV-80MT Download and Howto Burn

Just a little howto guide on downloading the new 80MT discs and burning them. I noticed that others are having similar issues that I was when trying to burn DVD NAV discs and the unit not being able to read them. I tried several different discs as well as different programs and I believe I have finally found the ultimate solution. I actually have TWO AVIC-D3 units and while one unit will play ANY NAV disc that I put in it no matter what program I used to burn it, my other D3 unit is VERY touchy. I noticed that the unit that doesn't like to play certain discs was manufactured on Feb 2007 where's the other unit that does play anything was manufactured on Sept 2007. So I think Pioneer might have changed something internally such as the laser for later production models. So some people might have issues some might not. Either way this method I am about to explain has worked for BOTH my units and I recommend it for getting a good clean burn.

If your not familiar with torrent files then CLICK HERE to download Vuze which is a torrent download manager. I prefer to use this over something like limewire for torrent files. Install Vuze.

Now download the NAV Disc that you need.

WEST COAST

EAST COAST

After you download these files you will need to double click on them to launch Vuze. Vuze will then begin downloading. It will probably take a good 8 hours or so to download depending on how many people are seeding the files.

Then you need to download a program called ImgBurn. If you don't already have it then you can download the full version HERE

Now once you do all that install ImgBurn. Make sure that once your EAST COAST or WEST COAST file is done downloading you need to EXTRACT the ISO image file that is inside the zip or rar file. You can use WinRAR to do this.

Before we burn the image file you need to consider what kinda disc your going to burn your image to. So far the only disc that has worked for me is the TDK DVD +R DL disc. I have tried using the Verbatim and Memorex DVD DL discs and NEITHER of them worked. The Memorex disc didn't work at all and the Verbatim disc only worked a little bit. Here is what the TDK discs look like, I picked mine up at Office Depot.

tdk_disc.jpg

So now that you have your ISO image and the disc your going to burn it to you can open up ImgBurn. Click on "Write image file to disc". Once you do that you can click on the folder icon that is to the right of "Please select a file...", you then need to select your ISO file that you extracted from the torrent ZIP or RAR file.

imgburn1.jpg

Now another window will pop up. Make sure your settings look exactly like they are in the picture above. Also note that you wanna keep your write speed low. I burned mine exactly as shown above @ 1x and everything worked perfect. After you select the correct settings you can go ahead and click on the Write to Disc button at the bottom left.

Now sit back it will take a good 20 min or so depending on your burner. When the disc is finished it will eject and you should be good to go. 8)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone here tell me how to access the service menu on my D3 so that I can do a reinstall using this disk? The RESET + EJECT method isn't working for me, and I can't get any other help from SEARCH.

Thanks!

So let me make sure I am understanding you correctly, you already have an 80MT disc installed but you wanna FORCE reinstall it?

If so then do this... Go into your NAV MENU and select "System Options", then select "Language". Change your language to either French or Spanish.. The unit will reboot and reinstall the map software in that language you selected.... Then once it has finished you can go back thru the menus to change back to ENGLISH. Just make sure you remember where the menus are because remember they will be in a different language when you first update.

This method worked perfect for me, you can also DOWNGRADE your map software using this method as well..

Thanks for the tip. I never would have thought of using the language change to do a reinstall... What's all this talk about the "service menu" and pressing RESET and EJECT at the same time to get into the menu and check the status of the GPS receiver?

I, like many, ruined something when I updated with the 80MT disk. Before the update, everything worked great... after the update the unit reboots and freezes constantly, especially when I'm trying to enter an address or find a POI. There are a lot of posts floating around suggesting that a botched software install can actually fry the GPS receiver... but *occasionally* I can still see my current position, so I don't think my problems are that deep-rooted. I do get the "Please insert correct disk" and "the disk drive has some problem" error, though, so I'm anxious to fix it. (Actual error IS in broken English)

Thanks again for your help... and now that this thread knows a little more about my problem... does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

No problem glad it worked for you..

As far as the other problem your having it sounds like you need to change media. I have two D3 units in two of my cars and my one unit will play ANY disc I throw at it. My other unit however DOES NOT like to read burned MAP discs. After trying the Verbaitm and Memorex discs which didn't work so well, Verbatims worked but I was experiencing the same issues that you were having, the Memorex discs didn't work at all... I have however FINALLY found a disc that works. I use the TDK DVD +R DL discs and burned my MAP discs using IMG BURN. I burned them at 1x. Here is what the discs look like. I found them at Office Depot.

tdk_disc.jpg

I really recommend trying them to see if they resolve your issue. Like I said I have tried several discs as well as several different burning programs and THIS ONE seems to be working.

Contrary to your recommendation, I used a Verbatim DL disk, because I ran out of TDKs and Verbatim has never failed me (Xbox360).

I did the language switch, and it seemed to be working great, but I got a call while the fw was flashing, and the bluetooth unit picked it up. I'm not sure if the phonecall interrupted anything, but I had the same symptoms after the firmware flash. I got the "insert appropriate disk" error a few times, and the screen even froze with diagonal red lines across it once or twice.

But... somehow... after I reset and power cycled it a few times, it started up fine, my GPS location was accurate and updating regularly, and I drove to work this morning using the navigation. At one point, I passed a turn it recommended because of a road closure, and the route never updated... but I hit the RECALCULATE button a few minutes later, and it found me a new route. It would seem that it's working a lot better now than it did before I did the language switch.

Thanks for the advice... I hope it keeps working!

Oh, and in a slightly related issue... Does anyone have the original disks that come with the D3? I think it's 70MT. I'd only need the EAST disk.

If my 80MT never works right, I'd like to roll the unit back to the original firmware. So, if anyone has access to an actual disk or disk image of the original EAST disk for the D3, let me know if you're willing to set up an FTP or torrent. I can't find this disk image on any of the popular P2P sites.

Thanks!

Yeah I have all 4 NAV Discs if you need them. I have the East & West 70MT and East & West 80MT...

Are you only using BURNED discs in your unit? That's definitely your problem if that's the case. I was having the exact same issues that your describing but when I would use my ORIGINAL 70MT disc that came with the unit, my D3 would work PERFECT. It wasn't until I tried upgrading to the 80MT and then came the burned disc issue.

So no matter what you do, if your using the wrong burned disc then your gonna have issues. Do you not have any ORIGINAL discs that you can try? Also like I said in 4 posts up, you need to try burning your map discs to the TDK discs using ImgBurn and burn @ 1X speed. I'm tellin ya I tried Verbatim, Memorex and neither worked. TDK has been working perfect for me. Sony discs MIGHT work too I dunno I haven't tried them. I went out and got the TDK discs the other day and if they didn't work I was gonna try the Sony's but like I said the TDK's have been working flawless.

PM me if you need that 70MT disc, but I'm tellin you there's NO REASON to downgrade. The issue isn't your MAP DATA is the MEDIA your using. Like I said you either have to burn the data onto a disc that your unit can read, OR use an original disc. It has something to do with the manufacturer date because I have one D3 unit that will read ANY disc I throw at it, Memorex, Verbatim, TDK etc. That particular unit was manufactured SEPT 2007. Now my other D3 that I have is picky just like yours, I have only gotten it to read either OEM Pioneer discs OR the TDK discs. That particular unit was manufactured on FEB 2007. So like I said it has something to do with the laser that Pioneer must have changed to a different one later down the road during production.

I just bought some TDK disks on NewEgg. Hopefully that will help me out.

I'll have to check the box to see what the manufacture date of my unit was, but I'm pretty sure I got it two years ago around this time (spring).

I have the original 70MT WEST disk, but for some reason, I didn't keep track of my EAST disk. I live in Pittsburgh, PA, so I'm not going anywhere on the WEST disk anytime soon.

I agree with your assertion that the disk's media ID plays a role in disk recognition... (The TDK disks I had before were "RICOHJPND" if I remember correctly.) So, I'm guessing that getting a COPY of the 70MT disk won't help my problems. I'll just have to try the TDK disks, assuming my most recent attempts with the Verbatim disk were unsuccessful, and the same issues present themselves.

Thanks again for the help.

Still, I can't access the service menu. Can anyone let me in on the secret? I would like to get in just to see if there are any diagnostics that show an error. I've seen some users report that their GPS modules are reporting error codes after the update, so I want to check into that.

Yeah I'm 99% sure that the TDK's are gonna fix your problem. Like I said I tried using the Verbatims as well and they KINDA worked. I say kinda because when I tried using the memorex discs they didn't work AT ALL. But the Verbatims at least booted up SOMETIMES but they took FOREVER to load and then like you said they were slow to load and just didn't seem to work well at all. The TDK discs have been working flawless for the last 3 days so I think that's definitely the disc to go with...

As far as your question about the service menu, you might try these steps below. Also note that this requires you to have a D3 remote.

Getting to the service menu and these steps are exactly like the D1 pretty much. You will have to have the remote and one of your original discs.

The numbers on the remote work like a 4 way dpad when navigating. The 5 key works as enter in some menus, in some menus the 7 key did the job i think, and in some menus 1 was Back instead of 4 i think. I could be wrong about these but you shouldn't mess anything up pressing the wrong one.

Service Menu

1. Hold eject and reset at same time, release reset button once screen blanks out. Do not release eject button yet.

2. Screen will say "please push reset button". Release the eject button at this point.

3. Take your remote and enter 8 1 8 3 7 2 0 8