AVIC411.com

Camera for F700BT

I am new to this forum and it seems everyone here knows pretty much everything there is to know about these head units. My question is, I am ready to buy a F700 BT to install into my 08 F-150. I also would like to buy an inexpensive rear view camera to install. I know there are a ton of cheap cameras on EBay. I would like to know a good camera that will switch the unit on when the truck goes into reverse. Is the Pioneer ND BC2 camera the only one that will do this or is there a cheaper alternative?

The only reason I ask is because I read from another forum that usually if the camera doesn't specifically say that it will auto switch when put into reverse, then it probably will not. But it does make sense that it would be the head unit to determine this. I am just not sure how it would get the signal that the vehicle is in reverse.

I have a Boyo license plate camera in my 08 F-150. It is activated by the head unit when the reverse lights come on. There is a wire that connects to the positive side of the backup light and that tells the HU you are in reverse. The wiring instructions that come with the Pioneer tells you how to do this.

I have an Audiovox camera on my car and it works fine. the only thing you want to do is make sure the camera itself mirrors the image. my is not mirrored so something on the right side of my screen is to the left of my car. this may just be something that bothers me but who knows. i have another camera from Audiovox (cmos1) that can do both mirrored and non mirrored and I have to install that.

I have my camera wired up so that when the car is on the camera is on (attached to switched power) this way I can also select the rear view option and use it while I'm driving (may be helpful when towing stuff? or to get the license plate of that damn tailgater!)

all you have to do to hook up the unit is run the reverse wire to your backup light wire that you can usually get in the kick panel either pass or drives side. and then whenever you put the vehicle into reverse the screen automatically displays the cameras image.

Jonathan

One of the things I don't like about most of the cameras that are designed specifically to be "back-Up" cameras is the 120 degree field of view they all come standard in. I had a Sony Bullet camera that I used to use on my helmet while skiing (similar to this http://hirescams.com/DT-CAME560.htm) and the nice thing about these is the lenses are replaceable at many different fields of view. Mine is set at 70 degrees which gives me much greater distance behind my truck and not so much of a fisheye view that the 120 cameras give you. If you download the specs for this camera off the website above you can find the exact same units on eBay a lot cheaper.

As one of the other poster's above noted, it's your head unit that does the switching to the camera when you put the vehicle in reverse. You have a reverse hook up wire from the unit (not the Camera) that has to be installed properly for this to work.

The bullet style cameras take a little more creativity when it comes to mounting them but they are easy to conceal under the bumper and less likely to be stolen as some of the license plate models are prone to. I hooked mine up to accessory power so it's always on when my truck is running. They come with a standard video connection. You will need to supply an extension cable to bring the video to your head unit but those are inexpensive from Monoprice.com (less than $7).

For those of you who have a back-up camera attached to the AVIC... how long (seconds) does it take for the camera to come on after starting the car and putting it in reverse?

thanks

If you switch it in reverse right after starting the car, it's immediate. Otherwise you need to wait until the unit finishes booting.