AVIC411.com

How do you verify the VSS wire is working?

So I've had my avic f90bt installed for roughly a month now. How do I verify that the VSS wire is working? I read that it takes some time to calibrate it, which the headunit does automatically.

When I'm driving around, and I go into the navigation system settings to take a peek at the MPH, it doesn't match my speedometer.

I have stock steelies, so I know it can't be the difference of my wheels and speedometer.

The difference between what it says in the avic and speedometer is off by ~1-2mph

Are there any mods, or settings I can tweak, so that I know the avic is receiving a signal from the VSS wire?

(well, besides driving under a tunnel...in which there are no tunnels near me, and I'm not willing to drive out of my way to a tunnel...LOL)

So I've had my avic f90bt installed for roughly a month now. How do I verify that the VSS wire is working? I read that it takes some time to calibrate it, which the headunit does automatically.

When I'm driving around, and I go into the navigation system settings to take a peek at the MPH, it doesn't match my speedometer.

I have stock steelies, so I know it can't be the difference of my wheels and speedometer.

The difference between what it says in the avic and speedometer is off by ~1-2mph

Are there any mods, or settings I can tweak, so that I know the avic is receiving a signal from the VSS wire?

(well, besides driving under a tunnel...in which there are no tunnels near me, and I'm not willing to drive out of my way to a tunnel...LOL)

Apparently there's some screen you could access with Pioneer's diagnostic CD...

On the other note, pretty much all car speedos are off a few mph by design. I have never seen one that would match any GPS exactly.

As BorisM says, most (if not all) cars speedometers are off by a small amount, usually on the fast side. As your tires wear, the difference (between the reading and true speed) will vary.

The easy test for VSS operation. Put a large piece of metal over your GPS antenna. You should get the verbal message "GPS signal lost." Now vary your speed and see if the reading on the AVIC tracks with the speedometer.

(It'll still be off by whatever amount.)

shoot, my GPS antenna is actually underneath my dash...no way to put a giant metal sheet over it....I dont even have a metal sheet LOL

you can put a piece of metal over the dash where the antenna is

like i said, I don't have a piece of metal lying about...haha

Yeah... coming from an auto tech standpoint, most vss are off and lose accuracy on the very low and high side. The GPS is usually a more accurate readout as long as you're holding the same speed. I haven't hooked mine up yet (mostly just being lazy) but it's off by a few mph too. Seems to be there mostly to help in the spots where you lose the signal for a few seconds.

Using a voltmeter, you can measure the VSS wire in volts AC and it should read between 0.1 and 0.7 volts and while you are driving the volts will go higher. If you stop it will level off or if you go at a constant speed.

-Mike

That only applies to some VSS signals. Many are now digital square waves that only vary in frequency as speed varies.

Even with those that put out sine waves, it is better to measure the frequency, because that will be proportional to the car's speed.