AVIC411.com

steering wheel input

I tried searching different topics, trying to find out if it was possible to change the track next input on the steering wheel controls to the preset up and down. I know that the pre programmed preset up and down doesnt work, using the PAC SWIPS. but is there a command line or function that could be changed so that the steering wheel input would change the presets?

Short answer is no, there isn't a menu option in the AVIC settings/sys.txt, etc to fix this. It's probably hard-coded in AV.exe.

Looking at the service manual (thread with link) the wired remote goes to an IC on the AV board that converts the level to a command for the Nav unit. So it's theoretically possible to alter the software on the Nav side of things for command substitution, but we probably won't be able to easily expand the command set coming in from the wired remote to add the missing Preset commands to the IC and still keep the track/scan buttons.

Also notice there's an I2C connection going from the Nav to this IC, so if someone has an Aardvark or similar I2C bus analyzer we could probably observe commands being sent/received over the bus for various events (tuning, wired remote press, etc)...

• 1 month later...

So you mean that the F900 doesn't know to change the presets through remote wired? i.e. pressing up and down on the steering wheel buttons. I thought there is a limitation on the remote interface for my car (Alfa Romeo 159).

Is it possible that Pioneer didn't program this to be done through remote wired interface?!

This shouldn't be controlled by the radio but by the aftermarket control box that you have installed to allow use of the steering wheel controls. Better control units will give you more options for controls

actually, thats wrong, pioneer has stated that its not a part of the remote function to control the presets. They made it like that, though i don't see why.

Here's the process that happens on the AVIC F units:

Connections:

Steering Wheel Button --> Converter (PAC SWI-PS, etc) --> Pioneer Remote Input -> uCOM on AV board -> Navi board

Timeline

• [*:1n69sy8v]You press a button on the steering wheel. Thanks to a voltage divider connected to that button, the voltage on the wire going into the Converter input changes (usually goes lower).
    [*:1n69sy8v]The Converter interprets the voltage level on its input as a certain button push (hopefully the one you mapped during the setup process).
    [*:1n69sy8v]The Converter knows how to "speak" the input that the Pioneer Remote expects and sends a message like "Mode Swith pressed and released" or "Volume + pressed and held" along the wire that goes into the Remote Input.
    [*:1n69sy8v]Inside the Pioneer, the message gets received on the Remote Input by the uCOM chip on the AV board and converted to a message for the Navi unit to indicate a button event occurred ("Volume + pressed and held", "Mode button pressed and released", etc).

Now at this point, we know that any Converter that changes your button press into the Remote Input language used by Pioneer/Sony will probably correctly change a "Preset Up/Down" button press into the "Preset Up pressed and released" message going into the Pioneer Remote Input jack. It's either the uCOM, the Navi or software on the Navi that's dropping this message on the floor.

Options

• [*:1n69sy8v]uCOM doesn't convert "Preset" messages from the Converter and send them to the Navi: We're screwed, since we don't have the ability to modify the uCOM (that I'm aware of, anyone know if this is a CPLD/FPGA?).
    [*:1n69sy8v]uCOM converts "Preset" messages to a signal/message to the Navi, but the software doesn't support it: Now there's hope, since there's conceivably a way to update the Navi software to recognize the event and send the command to the tuner unit or IP bus device to go to the next or previous preset.

From what I've read on the other forum, you _can_ change presets on AVIC by shorting the _other_ ring on the remote jack while applying the Seek Up/Down signal. It's just that no existing remote actually does that right now...

From what I've read on the other forum, you can change presets on AVIC by shorting the other ring on the remote jack while applying the Seek Up/Down signal. It's just that no existing remote actually does that right now...

Yeah, you got me thinking about it and I did a bit of Googling on the Intertubes... Came up with this discussion of the protocol on MP3Car.com. Anyone have their SWI-PS out and handy to see if the ring goes low when you hit a button meant for "Preset Up/Down"? I know 1PACMAN claims Pioneer changed their behavior on the AVIC Fs and that it's not the same protocol it was on older HUs. Just curious (since I'm at work at the moment and can't open up the dash right now).

From what I've read on the other forum, you _can_ change presets on AVIC by shorting the _other_ ring on the remote jack while applying the Seek Up/Down signal. It's just that no existing remote actually does that right now...

I am using a Sony RMX4 stalk to control my F700BT.

As you know, all the Sony/Pioneer wired remotes do is put a different resistance between the tip and ground of the 3.5mm connector. The standard Sony commands are as follows:

Resistance ......Sony............... AVIC

(ohms)........Command.........Command

0...................Power...........Nothing

2077...............Source..........Source

4336...............Mute........... Mute

6429...............DSPL........... Next Track/ Next Frequency

8670...............Next Track.... Next Track/ Next Frequency

12000..............Prev Track.... Prev Track/ Prev Frequency

16700..............Volume +.......Volume +

23600..............Volume -.......Volume -

33560..............Select..........Nothing

48200..............Mode........... Band

To test if the Pioneer actually has the ability to receive other commands, I made up a dummy wired remote with a variable resistor and a push to make switch. I used a 100K variable resistor and went through the whole range from 0-100,000 ohms testing to see if the the AVIC had any other responses. Sadly it didn't. The default command seems to be "Band". ie if the resitance I selected was not close to one those in the list above the unit responded as if the Band command had been pressed. The Sony stalk does connect the middle ring to the ground when the FF/REW ring is moved inwards, which may do a preset up/down on a Sony, but the Pioneer does not respond to this change, and just responds as if the normal FF/REW had been pressed.

I am not a programmer, so maybe this is a bit simplistic, but bear with me.

Presumably each different part of the firmware has to interpret the commands from the remote in it's own way - eg the "next track" remote command is interpreted as "next track" by the MP3 player, but is interpreted as "up scan frequency" by the tuner. Can the tuner section firmware not just be re-programmed to interpret "next track"/"prev track" remote commands as next/prev preset instead? That would solve the problem for me as there is always the on screen buttons for tuning if required.

Can the tuner section firmware not just be re-programmed to interpret "next track"/"prev track" remote commands as next/prev preset instead? That would solve the problem for me as there is always the on screen buttons for tuning if required.

Ideally, yes. As far as the Navi unit is concerned, they're all just button press events that some interrupt handler is forwarding on to the correct program to handle. The .exe most likely to be the one to hack is APL/AV.exe. If Pioneer was really savvy, they'd have a menu in the settings for mapping buttons to commands for each screen (i.e. "Up" maps to "Preset Up" in FM/AM/XM/HD/Sirius, "Next Track" in iPod/SD/USB/CD/DVD). I'm itchin' for some free time to really play with the firmware on the emulator and a bench unit... Maybe in a few months.

Just wanted to say, I have no idea how this works nor the technicalities of what you are discussing, but I *really* need this (ok, more of a heavy *want*)...

Here's hoping you guys can come up with a solution for a major shortcoming of the Pioneer unit (Pioneer, are you listening??)!

Thanks for that info Geoff even though most of it was over my head.

I was just wondering what your final take on the Sony RMX4 is.

It seems like it takes care of most of the basic functionality based on your post so overall are you happy with it for now at least?

Thanks for that info Geoff even though most of it was over my head.

I was just wondering what your final take on the Sony RMX4 is.

It seems like it takes care of most of the basic functionality based on your post so overall are you happy with it for now at least?

Yes, overall I'm happy with the RMX4. The limitations are at the Pioneer end not with the RMX4. I have always preferred a stalk to steering wheel controls as I find it easier and more intuative. Far easier to use without looking/thinking as it doesn't move about like a steering wheel!