AVIC411.com

VSS WIRE FOR 2006 FORD EXPLORER

Holy crap! I cannot seem to find the VSS wire anywhere! The harness on the 06 Explorer is the Ford 24-pin type. Does anyone know which wire it would be? The harness is very different from the 05 model. My factory audiophile system had speed sense capailities. If I do find the wire, how can I test it using a digital ohm meter? What setting do I use and what do I connect?

Ford also changed the antenna connection. What adaptor should I use?

Thank you guys so much! I have spent over 4 hours looking for that damn thing. Everything else is done.
Reverse Light brown/blue + driver kick or SJB, conn. A, pin 6
Notes: The SJB (Smart Junction Box) is part of the fuse/relay box under the driver side dash.

Speed Sense purple/orange PCM, 50 pin plug, pin 1
Notes: The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is on the passenger side firewall.

The VSS wire is also found at the windshield wiper motor, pin 4.

Merry xmas.
  • 2 months later...
[quote name="Sean-w"]If the Speed Sense is purple/orange at the PCM does that mean that the same colors are used through-out the whole vehicle??

I found just to the inside of my fuse relay box, a connector with both a purple/orange wire, and a light brown/blue wire.
[/quote]

Sean,

Any luck? I have the exact same model and year as you. I would like to find these two wires inside the passenger compartment rather than going thru the firewall and attaching in the engine compartment.
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Reverse Light brown/blue + driver kick or SJB, conn. A, pin 6

Notes: The SJB (Smart Junction Box) is part of the fuse/relay box under the driver side dash.

Before getting too carried away, I just need to clarify a couple of things.

1. Is the "driver kick" the plastic panel on the bottom left sde of the driver side that is partially held in by the hood release and/or

2. Is the SJB the grey rectangular box way up under the dash on the left side of the driver side. If so, does the cover pop off easily?

Thanks in advance.

yes to the kick panel question. you dont need to go to the junction box. the wire is in the harness at the bottom of the kick panel

Thanks as always misfit - is removal as simple as unscrewing the hood release and "popping" the panel off. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but this is a DIY project for me and I haven't disassembled anything newer than my 76 Classic Bronco - which has about 10 wires in the whole thing. Gotta love the AM radio with no buttons, just a tuning knob!

first you have to pull up the rocker panel in front of it. then there is a large plastic button towards the back that needs to be popped out. the do what you said

Excellent - thanks for the help! I think I should be able to handle the VSS wire and the HU install.

The only thing I need to figure out now is how to get the Boyo camera feed through the tailgate and into the cabin. I started to take off the license plate light assembly with the big Ford logo but couldn't get it to unsnap after taking out the four bolts. I didn't want to force it as I could see it snapping off. I might have to take it to a local installer to have that done.

you dont need to remove that, but you do need to remove the inner panel to the lift gate

I was hoping to use the hole where the light wire came through and avoid drilling another one behind the plate. I had the inner panel partially off but stopped before I got too far. Once into the lift gate, can the wire be run through with the others going through the black "hose" into the roof and then down back down through the side panel and along the floor?