AVIC411.com

Cool thanks for the reply. I might have to go with the one with the stealth install. I have a Dodge Charger so I would have to mount it either in my rear window or on my dash or something... most likely the rear window tough. I am wondering what kind of reception I would get if I mounted it in the trunk. I live in the DC/Baltimore area, so over the air stuff is not much of a problem. I guess it's just something to play with.

When you said your friends doesn't get as many channels as yours, are you talking about UHF channels? And is it a considerable difference? I'm really only looking to get the major channels (CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC and maybe a couple of the weather channels). I spend enough time in traffic... I dont want to end up getting home and sleeping in my car because the TV is so good! :lol:

Well, the thing with digital tuners that is a MAJOR difference from analog rabbit ear tuners...If you have poor-none reception, you will NOT get the channel at all. An analog tuner will pick up poor reception, and display it on the screen with alot of static. So yea, the quality of the reception from the antenna will lead to more TV stations. (Major channels usually have very good broadcast reception quality, so you need not to worry)

Nice thread! I just applied for a converter box coupon, said it will mail out on 4/3. I like the stealth antenna and would like to mount it under the safari basket of my Xterra. Wonder if it would hold up to the elements?

I'm also gonna need a three-way splitter for A/V inputs. #1 for this converter box, #2 for the video out cable from my HTC Fuze, and #3 for iPod connection. All these will go into A/V 1 in the back of the unit because I don't something always plugged into A/V 2 on the front. I assume when I select A/V 1 intput as a source it will take whichever input out of those 3 is supplying a signal, so no need for an external switcher.

If my antenna was on the outside of the car...I'd get a quality OUTDOOR antenna. Don't opt for the cheap indoor ones. They make flat, nice, antennas (most of them need to be powered separately) for around $50 I think.

I think its just expecting a input, so your three way splitter will work BUT you have to change AV1 input to iPod, every time you want to use the iPod.

It looks like you got a UHF/VHF antennae while your friend got a UHF only antennae. That would explain why you get more channels. VHF and UHF cover a different channel spectrum.

If you look at the antenna link I posted, one of the features for his stealth antenna is "Receives local HD and DTV signals; supports UHF and VHF signals"

Well, the thing with digital tuners that is a MAJOR difference from analog rabbit ear tuners...If you have poor-none reception, you will NOT get the channel at all. An analog tuner will pick up poor reception, and display it on the screen with alot of static. So yea, the quality of the reception from the antenna will lead to more TV stations. (Major channels usually have very good broadcast reception quality, so you need not to worry)

This is definately something I plan on doing. It would be nice to have local channels. Some examples of times I am going to look forward to:

1) Leaving a game and being stuck in traffic, my buddies can watch either other games or highlights.

2) Tailgating

3) Driving home and trying to find out where the storm is, but the crappy radio won't tell me.

Pretty excited. So good thread!

Weather Channel and keeping kids/adults entertained is a big plus :)

Does anyone know if there is a DC powered digital converter box so that I would not need a DC/AC converter?

Probably not because Converter Boxes are meant for indoor use with a TV...so you probably won't find a DC one since all houses are AC.

isnt there a tv tuner made by pioneer?

Yes there is but 2 things.

1) Extremely expensive, a converter box with a coupon will cost you free-$10 at the minimum

2) TV Tuner by pioneer is ANALOG. When the DTV transition is finished, it will be useless. You might as well go digital right now.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so mega ALL i need is bunny ears, digital converter box, and power inverter??

yes...and RCA cables to your headunit. That's all you need.

Couldn't you just use your car's antenna for TV reception?

It might not work in the boonies but in any major city it should to the trick...Right?

Well....is your car antenna a coaxial cable? If it is then yes, just wire it your converter box. You'll probably want to get a Y-Splitter as well so you can still retain AM/FM radio.

Is a true stealth install possible w/ having to be able to change the channel, even w/ the remote you need to be able to see the converter, Is that correct?

You have to see the IR port of the coverter box because you have to use the remote to change channels.

When I said stealth install for my friend, I meant his antenna was hidden in his car. The converter box for his car, as well as my car, sits underneath our front passenger seats. The TV Remote works by pointing it towards the leg space of the front seat passenger. My friend and I both believe it works because the IR bounces off somewhere in the leg room into the IR Receiver inside the converter box.

I want TV, but I do not want anything in the passenger compartment. I would like it all stealthily hidden.

I have a universal remote that can transmit RF, it just requires that you stick the little RF-IR sensor on the face of the digital converter then run the RF sensor wire up to the front of the car somewhere. It may be over engineering, but since when has that been a problem.

i got it all hooked up. I put the audio into the front output and the video to the video and then turned it on in the setttings the only problem is now i cant control the volume from my headunit or the converter box..what could that be?

you answered your own question. you put it into an output... instead of an input...

if you have an iPod:

you have to get an AV splitter... or 3 separate Y cables, and connect everything that way... when you want to listen to the iPod you have to switch it every time on your unit.

if you don't:

just connect it to AV1...

It should be possible to disassemble the tuner box and remove the IR sensor. Then just solder in some longer wires for it and mount the sensor anywhere in your car. That way the tuner box can be mounted under a backseat or in the trunk.

i jsut got mine hooked up and i dont get good receptino while driving but my antenna is in my trunk and im looking right now for a diff antenna to try out. My last car had alot better of a signal while driving

If your antenna is flat enough try mounting it on your rear deck where it meets the bottom of your back window. The defroster elements could interfere, but should be better reception than in your trunk.

I'm REALLY looking forward to doing this install!! Come on coupons! :)