AVIC411.com

New iPhone 3.0 Firmware not compatible with AVIC 900BT?

I have an Avic-D3 and the new 3G S. As stated multiple times, the Pioneer cable does not charge the phone. The interface itself does work though. I went and bought the $50 Apple Composite cable and I am able to stream Last.fm etc just as others stated above. I still cannot charge. The USB portion of the composite cord is left empty and the audio and video plugs are attached, then I connect the flat-ended USB to the iPhone (obviously) but I cannot get it to charge.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after much testing and talking to the Apple engineers I have an update for you all.

1. all iPhones with OS3 work completely with the Pioneer F series

2. all iPhones (including the 3GS) will charge when connected ****caveats below

a. iPhone 3GS REQUIRES currently available Apple branded AV cables (PIONEER cables are NOT compatible with charging the 3GS)

b. using an additional USB extender cable KILLS charging capability (for the 3GS)

I found upon testing that adding a USB extender cable (Belkin, GE, and others) somehow kills the charging capability of the iPhone 3GS, but not the first generation or the 3G. This was tested at the headunit itself. However if you plug the AV cable directly into the headunit (without extender) the iPhone 3GS charges fine. This however is NOT the case with the Pioneer branded cable - it will not charge the iPhone 3GS at all in any configuration.

All other current iPods and iPhones including the 3G do CHARGE and operate correctly regardless of the iPhone OS.

in case you are wondering I have tested this myself in "real world" conditions and have conferred with Apple regarding this issue.

I have noticed on some F series decks that a reset on the headunit is required after the OS3 update for the iPhone and iPod. This is a random, unduplicateable issue.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or comments......

Clark

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm that the 3GS with the Apple AV cable works perfectly with my F90-BT. I can make calls, play music, transfer contacts and charge the iPhone. The only oddity is that the tech was unable to make the up/down arrows (on the steering wheel in my 2009 Scion XB) switch between preset stations when the mode is AM or FM. It can move up and down between frequencies, but not between presets and still have the iPhone's iPod functionality work. Its an OK trade off for me because I rarely listen to the radio anyway.

Thanks for the info Clark--saved me lots of time and headaches.

-Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue w/ my 3g iphone w/ the latest 3.0 release on both the AVIC and the iphone... using the Pioneer cable, it only shows the same "not compatible" bs...... any ideas? I dont want to have to remove my entire dash again to replace this stupid cable...

• 2 weeks later...

Random results?

I started out with an iPhone 3G OS2 connected to my AVIC-F900BT via a Monster A/V iPod cable.

I routinely got the "This Accessory is not made to work with iPhone - Do you want to switch to Airplane mode?" error. I could answer No, and the phone would continue to work. The IPod would play through the AVIC, and I could make Blue Tooth calls and directory exchanges. It did not seem to charge, though on one long trip, it stayed at max charge for the whole trip, and was fully charged when I pulled it out of the car. Seems that charging works sometimes, but not others.

After some digging, I figured it was the Monster cable, so I found another cable on EBay that promised iPhone compatibility. This was a much cheaper cable than Apple's, Pioneer's, or Monster's, so I ordered it.

At the same time, I upgraded my 3G to OS3.

Now, I routinely get the AVIC error: "iPod connection failed. Please reconnect.", and on the iPhone: "This device is not supported by iPhone." Amazingly, if i take the AVIC's advice, and reconnect, it will eventually give me the Airplane Mode error, and stay connected. I can listen and watch videos on the iPhone. It may take 20 reconnections, but it will eventually work.

As an experiment, I tried swapping the iPhone for my 4GB Nano, and could not get it to connect at all - even after many many reconnections.

I then unplugged the USB connection from my A/V iPod cable, and plugged in the USB cable that came with the iPhone. Both the iPhone and Nano connected right up. I got no sound, I'm assuming because the A/V inputs were not connected to anything, and the AVIC expects all iPod audio from them - and not via the USB port.

It seems that there may be differences in cables, and possibly some SW version issues. I'm hoping future posters can clarify which cable, device, and versions they are using, and we can see if we can nail this down.

Looking forward to V3.0 of my AVIC-F series software for further testing.

No the problem is that you ordered a cheap Chinese knock off cable from ebay and expected it to work. The solution to your problem is very simple. Get the Pioneer ipod cable for the F series or get the Apple Composite AV cable and it will work.

• 3 months later...

hi guys , just let you know that all 3 cables work on the pioneer 900 bt using a iphone 3gs on 3.0 firmware, apple composite, fake ebay ones and also pioneer.

all you have to do is go to av1 settings on the pioneer unit and toggle the switch to ipod.

tried and tested

works 100%

Dont advise people on this forum to get cheap knock off cables and tell them that they will work. If you had been on this forum long enough to have more then one post you would know that your statement is not true. Just because you may have one that works doesn't mean that is good advice. As stated by myself and several others on this forum, the ebay cables are almost always guaranteed to fail. If you want to avoid that aggravation after spending several hundred dollars on your unit, don't get cheap on the cable. Seriously, its fifty bucks people.