AVIC411.com

Worth of a broken unit?

So, two weeks after I install my AVICD1, some not-so-bright criminals attempted to steal it. Well, they couldn't get it out of my dash so they smashed the screen.

Everything except the screen should work on it, so is it worth anything? I was thinking about selling it on Ebay to fund my replacement, can anyone make a guess as to what it's worth?

I'm sure Pioneer would charge you almost the cost of a new unit to replace the screen, but it would be good for parts if you blew any internals on another unit.
Did they break both the inner AND outer screen?
I can't imagine it'd be worth much considering replacing the LCD is most likely costlier than paying $700 for a new D2 or $600 for a refurb D1.

I'll check the price on an LCD just out of curiosity.
To me, the unit itself is worth no more than $50 or so if the LCD cost is $300+ (probably pretty good deal of labor to replace it). Maybe worth $100-150 if the LCD is just a couple hundred bucks. It's possible someone on eBay would pay more, eBay is always a crapshoot. As a seller, sometimes I lose BIG (like something I paid $300 for only goes for the 99-cent opening bid) or sometimes I make big money, selling something for several hundred dollars more than I paid.

Anyway, if it comes with the power cord/speaker harness, I'm definitely interested. I have a good D1 with no power cord.
I'll think about replacing it, but I don't get a lot of free time to mess with repairing it. I've done a lot of electronic work, but as I've learned, even simple repairs will take more time than you expect.

I was just considering buying a new one and seeing if I could get any money for the old one.

Anyway, how did you find those parts? I tried searching their parts site and didn't find anything more than accessories.
[quote]Anyway, how did you find those parts? I tried searching their parts site and didn't find anything more than accessories.[/quote]

Well I know Shawn has the service manual for the D1/D2 so I'm assuming thats where he got the part numbers. I think if you search the part numbers specifically they will come up on the parts website.

Thats my best guess.
Yup, I have the service manual for D1/D2 (also N1/N2/N3 and 90DVD).

That's also correct, if you have the part #, [url=http://parts.pioneer.com]http://parts.pioneer.com[/url] will pull up the part and its price.

The service manual doesn't show how to R&R the LCD, but it does show how to remove the front panel and take the back cover off. I'm guessing actually removing the LCD is probably pretty straight forward once the back cover is off the face? Although, you're probably right about it taking more time than expected.

Anyway, if you decide to Ebay it, let me know. I enjoy working on that kind of stuff. I'll bid on it to try to win, but even if I don't win, the least I can do is drive up the price. Haha!
  • 1 month later...