AVIC411.com

Hardwire F500 (no cig. lighter)

you could go get an external cig lighter insert and put it behind your dash and just wire it up to the radio wires for power. then run the cig plug from you unit to it and plug it in behind the dash. that way you dont have to modify anything and it will cost you about $5.

+1 all you need is a female cig socket to wire in behind the dash

I want to hardwire power to my f500 without using the stupid cigarette lighter. I have found similar kits (https://www.gosiriusxm.com/Hard-wire-po ... _224.html#) but they run at a lower amperage. Is that okay? Or do i need to be supplying 3amps to the unit at all times.

If it runs at lower amperage it could start a fire, or just fail, or fail sooner than an appropriate rating power supply. The amperage of the power source must meed the needs of the draw on the source. This runs the F500BT and charges the battery at the same time, thus Pioneer requires a 3 amp 5v source. Use less at your own risk!

• 2 months later...

You don't need to wire the cradle. You can just plug the cigarette adapter into the F500 and use it. You can use it without any power, but you only get about a half hour of time before the battery dies.

The hookup diagram shows hooking up both the 12v always hot, and the 5v cigarette adapter for the cradle wire. You can use the ND-G500 with the car audio system as an alternative. It has a 12v connection with a 5v power supply built in to supply the 5v without the cigarette adapter, to hook up on the F500's cradle cable.

The yellow 12v always hot is required in North America only. It can apparently work without it, but I assume safe operation prevents some features from working unless you are stopped with the parking brake on. Legal requirements may necessitate this. Your insurance Co. may not have to pay a claim if you were using "locked" features while driving, that led to an accident, because you didn't hook up according to North American requirements. Use against Manufacturer's installation instructions at your own risk.

I don't know if you can remove the battery, and run it with external power. Some electronics need the battery in the circuit to operate properly.