AVIC411.com

external hard drive issues. can anyone help?

ok so i had the f700bt installed in my mustang a couple days ago. and i purchased a 250G external hard drive because i was told i could upload songs/vids to the hard drive and plug it into the USB connection in my glovebox. so i did just that. but when i plug the hard drive into the USB the f700 isnt recognizing it, the USB key is still grey on the screen. anyone have an idea what might be wrong? any help is greatly appreciated. thank you

the bigger is the longer for bootup.Read this viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24109

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i just tried using my 250GB external western digital drive on my F900bt. it recognized the mp3's fine when there was only 1GB on there that i tested just to make sure it was in FAT32 and recognizable.

immediately after, i dropped another 100GB of music onto the drive and it didn't recognize it at all. The usb icon never lit up. i let it sit for 10 minutes and nothing.

ive seen some people have hit 40GB and havent been able to go passed it, someone else said they had about 17GB of music and 28GB of tv shows and it worked.

has anyone figured out if there is some hard cap on the F series that prevents you from using a full 250GB external hard drive to play music from?

i have all the files on the HDD sorted by artist/album/song.

any help here is definitely appreciated.

so i just tried using my 250GB external western digital drive on my F900bt. it recognized the mp3's fine when there was only 1GB on there that i tested just to make sure it was in FAT32 and recognizable.

immediately after, i dropped another 100GB of music onto the drive and it didn't recognize it at all. The usb icon never lit up. i let it sit for 10 minutes and nothing.

ive seen some people have hit 40GB and havent been able to go passed it, someone else said they had about 17GB of music and 28GB of tv shows and it worked.

has anyone figured out if there is some hard cap on the F series that prevents you from using a full 250GB external hard drive to play music from?

i have all the files on the HDD sorted by artist/album/song.

any help here is definitely appreciated.

Read this viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24109

thanks landmark, i read that thread and its my next step if the method that i am currently trying does not work.

it just seems kind of odd that i would have to format using the head unit rather than any fat32 formatter. should be the same exact thing, especially if im using the same allocation size.

landmark, whats the largest amount of data you've fit on an external hard drive that was recognized?

• 4 weeks later...
I have a Western Digital Passport Portable Hard Drive 500gb. I used the 12v to 5v cigarette lighter to usb adapter and it works fine out of the box.

I have the same issue with it not booting up from a cold start. I need to unplug and plug it back into the hard drive to get it to recognize. Is there anyway to make it recognize without doing so?

What is the File format on your WD 500 GB HD? Out of the box mine is NTFS.

Thanks