AVIC411.com

Dis-assemby Photos and Instructions

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a used AVIC-Z2X kit. i installed it in my vehicle and it functioned except the screen wouldn't move. I pulled it from the dash and could see that the white "gear track" was not seated on the metal slide rail.

After searching on here, i couldn't find the service manual posted anywhere but decided i would try to fix it on my own anyway. I was able to disassemble the entire unit and took pictures along the way. I was going to post up a small dis-assembly write up in the hopes that i might be able to help someone on here.

I don't have a photo share account so i would like to ask if anyone would be able to host the photos for me? I need to edit the photos (add arrows and notes) and i still need to compose the write up, but i figured i would get started and hopefully have it written by the time i found a photo host.

Thanks guys! i have already learned a lot from these boards!

Ok, let me start out by saying that this is in no way a complete or comprehensive guide to taking your Z apart. Its not a great tutorial. But its something.

I take absolutely no responsibility if you decide to take your Z apart. I just wanted to show the process i used.

If you dont know how to use a screwdriver or remove/replace a ribbon cable, i suggest you dont take your unit apart! Send it to an authorized repair center!

I didnt take pics of removing the screen. but thats the first step, so i will try to explain as best as i can.

Start by making sure the screen is all the way out. You can do this by pressing eject and disconnecting the power while the screen is all the way down; alternatively you can use the manual method and move the gear with a small screwdriver via the underside of the unit shown here:IMG00020-20090419-1335.jpg[/attachment]

Hereis a pic of the underside of the dvd drive where the ribbon cable connect. as well as the small plug that we removed[attachment=7]IMG00039-20090419-1403.jpg[/attachment]

Here you can see the the ribbon cables that you disconnected from underside of the dvd drive, the orange cable has a small piece of tape over the lock.[attachment=8]IMG00037-20090419-1359.jpg[/attachment]

In the pic above there are two screws on this piece that hold it to the board underneath, as well as the screws we removed earlier from the sides of the case. there is also a small plug that powers the fan that you need to remove before pulling the back of the case off,

the plug you need to disconnect between this "level" and the one beneath at the back of the unit. as well as a screw in the that needs to be removed before lifting this layer off the unit and two ribbon cables in the front [attachment=4]IMG00028-20090419-1351.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6]IMG00030-20090419-1352.jpg[/attachment]

another view of the ribbon cable[attachment=5]IMG00032-20090419-1353.jpg[/attachment]

after removing the middle layer, you will see a circuit board with 4 screws you must remove to lift this layer off the bottom case. the ribbon cable marked by the blue arrow is connected to the bottom layer.[attachment=3]IMG00027-20090419-1350.jpg[/attachment]

also, at the back of the unit, there was a small "tab" that i had to bend away from the board in order to lift it off the case, here is a closer view of the "tab"[attachment=2]IMG00026-20090419-1349.jpg[/attachment]

after lifting the circuit board off you will be at the bottom of the case with the slide assembly, gears and the white rail[attachment=1]IMG00025-20090419-1339.jpg[/attachment]

and pic of my rail disconnected from the slide, which is why i had to take my unit apart in the first place[attachment=0]IMG00024-20090419-1336.jpg[/attachment]

I hope you get some use from this, as i had nothing to go on when i took the unit apart. If i need to dis-assemble the unit again, i will be sure to take better notes and pictures of the process with a regular camera, and not my cell phone

Thanks guys!

• 3 months later...

Damn. This just happened to me last week. My unit will open without issue, but when you go to put it back to normal, it gets hung and self-opens again, I assume as a saftey to not break it, like a garage door. If I "help" it when its closing it will cloe all the way.

I had the screen all the way down, and I can see the "rack" isnt where its supposed to be. I would love to take this thing apart and fix it, but all the pics on this thread are gone :(

Does anyone else have any pics of this process?

Much appreciated,

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post an update. I ordered a new rack from Pioneer and was able to replace it myself using the instructions above (without pics) to do the job.

If you follow the instructions above, and have a some what logical brain, you can do this.

The only step that wasnt mentioned above that I had to do to remove the broken rack was to remove the motor/gear assembly. Once you get to the bottom layer, you will see two silver screws holding the motor/gear assembly down. Simply remove those two screws and the gear/motor assembly will simply lift up enough to remove the broken rack.

Its a little tricky to get the new rack seated on the track correctly, I had to use a large flathead screw driver to pry it onto track.

Once thats in place, just put everything back together in reverse order.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Greg

• 5 months later...

The links to the pics are broken, its an old post.

I completed the disassembly, repair, and reassembly without the pictures. If you follow the written instructions in this thread, and you have some dexterity/patience, you can do it too. It's not as hard as you may think. Just make certain you know what screws go where (write it down if you have to). There are a bunch of different sizes to deal with.

Good luck...

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a totally outdated post but I wanted to amend to it for future reference that the rack part number for the Z1- Z2 - Z3 is CZN701 and will cost you about $16.95 plus shipping from pioneer. The part takes 5 - 7 business days to arrive. You can order this part by calling their parts department at 1 800 228 7221 or by clicking the link below. They are open from M-F 7AM to 4:30PM PST and close for lunch from 11:30 to 12:30.

Thanks Greg Fisher for the link to the Pioneer website.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/par ... um=CZN7014

To remove the plastic rack it has 3 legs attached to the rail.

To reassemble, just reverse the dis assembly process, with some time and patience you can get it done. Good luck

DISCLAIMER: This is not a complete list of steps from the manual, it is only a guide to familiarize you with what is needed.

post-2426-12872761695193_thumb.jpg

post-2426-1287276170027_thumb.jpg

post-2426-12872761705589_thumb.jpg

post-2426-12872761711299_thumb.jpg

post-2426-12872761716377_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

No problem at all, I no longer have the Z3 installed in my car, as i am upgrading to a full portable computer. I think I just got tired of all the restrictions in these head units. If your intrested in seeing my progress (which is slow), or are just intrested in what others do to install computers in thier cars then please go and check out http://www.mp3car.com. The link is below.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/worklogs/140246-2003-honda-civic-hybrid-install-worklog.html

• 1 year later...