AVIC411.com

New A2DP workaround?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something?

yeah. wirelessly playing and controlling your music from your iPod/iPhone.

sure it doesn't sound 100% like the iPod cable, but for as loud as i play it? can't tell a difference.

coolest $16 i've ever spent.

and yes, i also confirmed that you can in fact still receive/make calls with the AVIC bluetooth and speak through the AVIC's mic. Sprint is probably loving us right now.

cheers! thumbs up to whoever even stumbled upon the Anycom in the first place :D

Compressing music over bluetooth with already compressed music? I'm just not seeing an advantage here over simply plugging in the cable. Am I missing something?

For me it's just nice to have the option. Since I need to take my phone with me every time I leave the car lots of times I won't bother plugging it in and just listen to the radio. Now I just hit play on my phone and it starts playing. The sound quality isn't great but it's good enough for me. If I decide to turn up the music and want better sound all I have to do is plug in the cable, so you don't lose anything there. Sure you lose a lot of functionality when using the bluetooth instead of pluggin in, but I think it's worth $16 to have the option to go wireless when I want to.

Can someone describe the ports/connections on this thing?

I didn't find any other pics othere than the Spring store single picture...

Is it powered? If so, how.

So I assume you plug the Ipod/Iphone AV cable in to this device right?

I'm trying not to sound stupid, (I'm actually an IT guy, and a techie) I just want

to see some pics or get a good description of the connections.

Thanks guys! Nice Find!

jb

I'm trying not to sound stupid, (I'm actually an IT guy, and a techie) I just want

Thanks guys! Nice Find!

jb

The only port is a female ipod dock port like you'd find on an ipod. It gets its power from the usb port. There's also a blue light that is solid when the device is looking for a phone to connect to and flashes once every 6 seconds once connected. Other than that, it's just a white plastic box about the size of the ipod plug on the apple cable but a little bit wider. If you search for Anycom FIPO you can find some more information on it.

Here's what it will look like:

http://www.wired.com/listening_post/200 ... luetooth_/

This link has a picture of it in an ipod speaker doc:

http://www.bluetomorrow.com/content/section/368/490/

Thanks guys! Nice Find!

jb

The only port is a female ipod dock port like you'd find on an ipod. It gets its power from the usb port. There's also a blue light that is solid when the device is looking for a phone to connect to and flashes once every 6 seconds once connected. Other than that, it's just a white plastic box about the size of the ipod plug on the apple cable but a little bit wider. If you search for Anycom FIPO you can find some more information on it.

Here's what it will look like:

http://www.wired.com/listening_post/200 ... luetooth_/

This link has a picture of it in an ipod speaker doc:

http://www.bluetomorrow.com/content/section/368/490/

Very cool, thanks for the reply and links spacewilly! Exactly what I was looking for...

Didn't have time to do a lot of searching since I'm @ work.

very cool, ordering one shortly...

jb

Good news and bad news

Good news: I got it to work on my palm pre. Just turned the bluetooth on my pre. The Pre searched for devices and found "FIPO" on phone and instantly connected. I didnt have to punch any pin number. After connection established I went into AV icon on avicf500bt and it gave me the option to turm on AV at bottom. I touched it and the car played music from pandora.

Bad news: As superjet stated earlier, streaming already compressed music gave crappy quality. How do I know? I connected the 3.5mm jack to Pre and the music was clearer and louder than bluetooth streaming, it was overwhelmingly obvious.

Final Verdict: Will most likely return the sprint bluetooth adapter. The audio difference using a cable over streaming bluetooth was significantly better. I am just going to add another 3.5mm jack to my car since I have two preouts. I hope this is helpful to everyone.

just got mine. smaller than i expected it to be, lol. like really small.

update: tried it out, works flawlessly. CONFIRM THAT IT WORKS WITH IPHONE 3GS!! The only problem is that it kills the phone battery!!! Also, as far as sound quality, it's probably one notch below cd quality, but way better than fm quality. I figured i can just use the Iphone as a remote to play the songs i need whilst outside the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed working with LG Dare (Verizon). Sprint branding does not matter. As others have pointed out sound quality is relatively poor, easily below satellite and analog FM in my opinion (tested with 160kbps MP3). I was somewhat surprised by the poor audio quality. Before my F700 I had the Pioneer FHP-8000BT with native bluetooth stereo streaming. Audio quality was very respectable on that deck. [Why Pioneer opted to exclude native A2DP from the F-series I don't understand.]

Highest and best use seems to be for iPhone users who wirelessly download blogs or other talk programming and want a quick play function when they get in the car. Frequesnt music listeners will likely be disappointed, especially if higher volumes are prefered. It is not a good replacement for plugging in your iPhone or iPod for music. (Or SD card, USB drive, or CD for that matter.)

Note: I don't own an iPod speaker system; therefore, I could not test sound quality on other equipment. Verizon's A2DP implementation could be at fault but that seems unlikely. YMMV.

Since I will likely not use the adapter very often I am offering it for sale. I paid $18 to Sprint, including S&H. Will sell for $15 with free shipping to lower 48. $20 for anywhere else. Paypal only. PM me if interested.

• 7 months later...