AVIC411.com

New A2DP workaround?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought two of these from my local best buy before christmas for $10 each. They are the Insignia brand (best buy's house brand). They are most often used to play non-ipod devices via bluetooth in a standard iPod boombox with a ipod dock connector.

Explain it like that to your best buy guys and they'll go right to it.

• 1 month later...

I've got an AVIC F90BT and both a Samsung Moment and Treo 755p (both A2DP capable), so is this something I can use as well on my stereo? I'd like to avoid having to use two seperate cables since Moment uses a 3.5mm jack and the 755p uses a 2.5mm jack.

One a side note, I've got the stereo installed in my BMW X5. I've got the steering wheel stereo controls programmed and the R/T switches source between CD/DVD, FM/AM, SD card, but it skips right past Aux 1 or 2. Is there a way to hack/program the stereo so it includes the aux inputs in the inputs rotation?

• 4 weeks later...

Another update...I haven't purchased one of these yet, but they're all over eBay for around $20 http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=6 ... p=15&_sc=1, I just searched for bluetooth audio receiver. It sounds like it's mixed results between being the same or worse sound quality vs a 3.5mm jack, so until I'm super desperate and tired of the 3.5mm, I'll stick with this since I don't wanna waste $20 for something that isn't any better sounding.

I found these using "a2dp receiver" for my search, I wonder if these would work. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=a2dp+r ... m270.l1313

Also, stupid question...but what are these http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Bluetooth-Dong ... 2a078239e3 I don't suppose these would do anything for us, either to stream music or allow the stereo to get wifi internet?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest x5james

Put a new ROM on my phone yesterday, so now I've got wifi tethering....so cool. Now I just need to figure out which of the links I posted above will give my AVIC internet.

It sounds like it's mixed results between being the same or worse sound quality vs a 3.5mm jack, so until I'm super desperate and tired of the 3.5mm, I'll stick with this since I don't wanna waste $20 for something that isn't any better sounding.

my vote is on it sounding worse(maybe by a little maybe by a lot), the headphone jack will deliver the sound as good as possible right out of the phone, compressing it to send wireless through BT will only affect the SQ negatively, it definitely cant make it any better!

I just received this unit which I purchased off eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0398926219

Works great with my iPhone 3GS running IOS 4! Set AV1 input on my F90BT to "Video" and use the source button to switch to it. Finally can play my Slacker radio without having to connect the iPhone via cable. Is the sound worse than stock? Probably by just a little - but not enough to bother me. The convenience of finally being able to play audio thru the F90 is worth it - and it's certainly worth the $20 I paid for this device.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder why you need to switch AV1 to Video from Ipod. This thing emulates an Ipod interface for all intents and purposes, it looks like. It also supports AVRCP, so it technically should be able to provide your AVIC with Artist/Title information, and let you control your connected bluetooth device from AVIC with commands such as Play, Pause and Rewind. If all you get is a generic audio input over bluetooth, it seems it would be underwhelming - after all, 3.5mm to Bluetooth dongles have been on the market for a while.

I wonder if such devices exist to support video as well as audio. I don't know much about Bluetooth protocols and bandwidths, but it'd be awesome to be able to play movies from your bluetooth phone over this dongle on your AVIC. Anyone knows if this is even remotely possible?

EDIT: Apparently, there's a Bluetooth Profile called VDP that's similar to A2DP but for video. So technologically it's possible - it'd be awesome to have A/V capabilities between your phone and your avic without a mess of cables.

I wonder why you need to switch AV1 to Video from Ipod.

Because if the input is not changed, the unit is going to be looking for an iPod and will not work for the intended purpose.

This thing emulates an Ipod interface for all intents and purposes

No, not really, it opens the USB input as a simple USB device.

It also supports AVRCP

If the software in the unit doesn't support that protocol, it doesn't matter what is plugged in, its not going to support it.

after all, 3.5mm to Bluetooth dongles have been on the market for a while.

Hmm, interesting. That might actually be a better option anyway.

I wonder if such devices exist to support video as well as audio.

Although there is a video over BT protocol (AVDTP), as far as I know, there is no consumer device that supports it currently available.

Thanks for the reply VBlue. That's a shame that this device transforms IPOD connector into simple usb with A/V. I thought that it actually emulates the IPOD interface, with all its bells and whistles. If it did support the Ipod interface, then AVIC wouldn't have to be compatible with AVRCP. AVIC just sends a standard Ipod "Pause" command, for instance, and the bluetooth module converts Ipod Pause to AVRCP pause. I guess that's too much to hope for.

In that case, I don't see anything new - as I said, you can get a cheap 3.5mm bluetooth dongle and get A2DP from your AV2 (in the front) as well as having your IPod plugged in in your glove compartment (at least that's where I routed my Ipod cable).

Yea that 3.5 thing is a good idea and probably a lot more readily available. If you can, post so,e links to some examples.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8422

That one seems to do the job (look at the videos). One thing that's nicer about this Ipod adapter is that it doesn't need batteries, since it draws power from the usb port. The 3.5mm adapter works with mini-usb to keep it powered, but it's certainly not as elegant of a solution.