AVIC411.com

FINALLY: NO MORE RED DIAMOND ICON

As many of you know (all 1000+ of you now) when I posted the branding.zip file it gave us all nationally recognized branded POI icons for our F series units. However it also gave us the dreaded red diamond icon. This would occur if there were several poi icons in the same area. As they would crowd together the diamond icon would show. This was a pain in the ass and today I finally found the little bastard that was causing the problem. It is not within the branding file at all, its in the DATA.zip. Here is what you need to do. Explore your DATA.zip on your computer and navigate to: ui_pioneer\icons\poi\ and locate the multipoi.icon file. Open the file with a text editor and edit the numbers 74, in both fields to 79, save the file and upload it to your Avic. You will no longer see the red diamond icon when poi's crowd together. The only down side to this is poi's still crowd but you will see nothing. This is a far better solution in my opion then the previous problem. Enjoy. :D:D:D

Link to latest Branding file:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18428

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked in the zip and couldn't find a multi.poi file.

Could it be somewhere else? I saw several catagories that that were 74 and I changed those to 79, don't know if that helped but even more odd. I get the red diamonds not for groups but for some singular businesses. Like a shell gas station by itself will be a diamond unless I zoom in on it and it is a stand alone business.

any suggestions?

TDM

Its in there unless your using someone else's data file with that file removed. I tried that in my testing before posting the above solution but all I got was a unit that would no longer boot. The key to fixing this problem is in the instructions I have provided above. Maybe have another look in the data file.

Nice work vblue! I just added the branding icons a few days ago and was wondering why it was doing that. I thought it was Chevron signs causing it. But come to think of it, when I noticed it, in both cases there was a Chevron with a Shell across the street. ;)

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

how do i get POI's to show up on map? the only way i see a POI is to search for it around current location or by category, they do not appear on 2d or 3d maps, i looked through my settings but don't see anything. i am running 3.01 with 2009.6 maps

i also do not have a fast food category. i can add branded icons like mcdonalds or arby's but i have to manually select them, only a few just show up on their own, mostly gas stations.

is this outdated? is so is there a link to a newer branding zip?

SETTINGS, NAVI SETTINGS, MANAGE, POI. Select the ones you want to display on the map. You can also choose the icon you want to represent the POI. I am using DpDurst mod currently and this al works for me. I do remember that during the 2.0 days when we were updating our maps, I ran across one set that did not have the fast food category. the work around was to use the POI's from the iGo 2008.10 maps. Those maps would not work on the maps we had to use with 2.0 but the POI's did. You may have old POI files. Below is the latest branded file that was edited to remove a lot of the European files. It is based on the file I originally uploaded and is more up to date.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26307&p=181036#p181036

One more thing. It is important to understood that the hack detailed in this thread was a solution I came up with to remove the red triangle symbol that would appear if the POI icons crowed together. On the stock non branded icons this symbol is a blue square with three small squares inside. I hated the crowded symbol so I developed this hack to remove it. The important thing to remember is that the icons still crowed. However instead of the crowded symbol, you will see nothing. This was an acceptable workaround for me as long as that damned symbol never showed again. This may be the reason you don't see a lot of icons. Your default zoom level will also have an affect at how many icons that are close together will show on the map. The higher the zoom in level the more icons you will see.

thanks, I got it to work, for some reason I had the 2009.6 maps but not the corresponding POI's, once i copied them over to the POI folder I got the fast food category.

I also can see why you would be frustrated with the diamond, it's every where and i live in a small town. I will edit the multipoi.icon file

this will be handy addition.

Thanks for your work and your help.