AVIC411.com

G1 with "cupcake" supports AD2P

Hi, everyone. I have an AVIC-D3 with the BTB-200 bluetooth module. I also have a Google Developer's phone, which is basically an unlocked T-Mobile G1. Yesterday they introduced their official 1.5, or "cupcake" build, which I loaded on my phone. Much to my surprise and pleasure, I can now play music through my phone via bluetooth!

While not nearly as detailed as, say, the iPod interface is, it still supports basic functions such as pause, play, skip tracks, etc. The sound quality is not bad. A direct source, such as an iPod or CD, sounds clearer, and there's an audible hiss via bluetooth. Still, I only notice it when I'm not moving - with road noise, etc., it sounds (to my ears) virtually the same.

Though T-Mobile still hasn't officially announced that they're going to have an update, most signs are that they'll introduce an official update soon. I also found that there's a build available if you've "rooted" your G1, though YMMV. Proceed at your own risk :)

http://code.google.com/p/sapphire-port-dream/

Cupcake as you know it, was a joke from some programmer, he made a chat app on the market and just named it cupcake so he can get download counts. The cupcake we are talking about is the codename for Android 1.5 (I guess you have the 1.0). 1.5 has video recorder, stereo bluetooth and much more new stuff (it also has many bug fixes). Its being sent OTA (Over The Air) as we speak so you should get it very soon. If you don't want to wait, head over to the xda-developers forums and go under the HTC Dream (G1) forum and look for the update files, its very easy to apply it.

-- tonton

• 2 weeks later...