AVIC411.com

Pioneer AVIC-Z3 is now disco - new model is AVICZ110BT

Judging by the model number I don't think this will be the same old song and dance of "Same hardware new software". The BT at the end makes me wonder if it'll be a new box with Bluetooth included, along with other goodies. Exciting!

In europe, the Z3 was/is called HD3BT, with a separate BT box, as with the Z3....

So don't get your hopes up just yet re. the bluetooth... :wink:

Judging by the model number I don't think this will be the same old song and dance of "Same hardware new software". The BT at the end makes me wonder if it'll be a new box with Bluetooth included, along with other goodies. Exciting!

I don't know about the BT in the part number (I would hope it does have BT internal) but that it is listed as a DivX certified product says to me there has to be some new HW. Someone here was saying the Z1-3's was not able to run the Dvix SW because of processor or other HW limitations. And it was listed under 720x576 on the Dvix page where the old spec on the screen is 480 x 234.

I don't know about the BT in the part number (I would hope it does have BT internal) but that it is listed as a DivX certified product says to me there has to be some new HW. Someone here was saying the Z1-3's was not able to run the Dvix SW because of processor or other HW limitations. And it was listed under 720x576 on the Dvix page where the old spec on the screen is 480 x 234.

I would actually expect Bluetooth to be built in, as that seems to be the trend with Pioneer at the moment, and they seem to have moved to the Parrot solution.. :wink:

Also, looking at the Japanese models as well as the other new models, significantly higher screen resolution...

Hopefully they got with a better Nav system in the new units as well.

I can't honestly complain as I live in a suburb of San Diego so the nav has been pretty good for me so far, but there ARE times when I'm like "wtf?" so I can imagine what it's like for those of us who live in smaller communities.

Edit: And while I don't own an iPod and probably never will, I am really pulling for them to have an improve iPod interface for all of us who desire it. :D

On May 7 Pioneer Japan announced new models - these will probably be the models we see here in the states with different model numbers :

http://pioneer.jp/press-e/2009/0507-1.html

May 7, 2009, Tokyo, Japan - Pioneer Corporation announced today its renewed lineup of the HDD-based CYBER NAVI car navigation systems for the Japanese market. The new lineup consists of three models: The AVIC-VH9900 is a 1-DIN+1-DIN DSP-control AV navigation auto server with built-in 7-inch wide VGA touch-screen monitor. The AVIC-ZH9900 is a 2-DIN DSP-control AV navigation auto server with a built-in 7-inch wide VGA touch-screen monitor. The AVIC-H9900 is a 1-DIN navigation system (without a monitor). The former 2 models are also equipped with a built-in terrestrial digital TV tuner.

Incorporating further advances in Pioneer Smart Loop concept, the new Cyber Navi car navigation systems provide enhanced information services for users, including:

* "Smart Loop traffic congestion information" now covers all roads that are displayed with 500m scale (excluding minor streets narrower than 5.5m) to realize more precise route search. The coverage area of the Smart Loop congestion information has been expanded from a length of approximately 330,000 km to 700,000 km. Compared with the VICS congestion information service that covers approximately 70,000 km long, the new navigation systems can cover 10 times the distance.

* Real-time road data update*1 , which is included in the latest-data upgrade service via download provided free for 3 years*2, notifies the opening of new roads by a message appearing on the navigation screen. Via broadband home networks, a mobile phone or a dedicated communications module, the user can reflect new road data in the navigation map easily and immediately.

Plus, the three new models offer innovative navigation capabilities utilizing next-generation technologies:

* Photoremo@Navi technology, which Pioneer has developed in cooperation with Sharp Corp., allows the new navigation systems to interact with Photoremo@Navi-compatible mobile phones to be marketed this summer and beyond using the optional Bluetooth® unit ND-BT10. This feature is used to set the navigation systems to automatically begin route searches based on the POI (places of interest) data transferred from compatible mobile phones, to check unread e-mail and missed calls in the mobile phones on the car navigation screen, and so on.

* DSRC (Dedicated Short-Range Communications)-applied services, as next-generation ITS services, will be available in tandem with the soon-to-be-released DSRC unit ND-DSRC1 (optionally available). The services will include the 5.8-GHz VICS Service which provides safety driving assist information in addition to traffic congestion information primarily on expressways, the DSRC Charge Settling Service*3 that enables the payment of parking fees with IC credit cards via wireless communications with drivers onboard the cars.

The Pioneer Cyber Navi car navigation systems AVIC-VH9900, AVIC-ZH9900, and AVIC-H9900 will be available in late May, 2009 for suggested retail prices of 378,000 yen, 357,000 yen, and 189,000 yen (including tax), respectively.

More details on main features:

1 ) Latest-data upgrade service via download provided free for 3 years*2

In addition to the above-mentioned real-time road data update, drivers can upgrade POI (places of interest) data 10 times a year (30 times in 3 years), and all data twice a year (5 times in 3 years) free of charge by downloading the data via the update manager of the Navi Studio (for Cyber Navi) PC-link software.

2 ) Greatly improved ease of search

* "In order of relevance" has been added to the sort key in "Multi Search." This enables the input of desired words and can be operated like web searches. Search results are displayed in order of those closest to the number of characters that have been entered.

* "AND search" and "Pinpoint search", commonly used in web search, are also available. "Pinpoint search" enables precise searches by entering full addresses. Like a mobile phone, a numeric keypad can also be used for enhanced ease of operation and search.

* The "Gas Station Price Information" is available via communication services. It makes searches over the network to display a list of stations with the cheapest gas price station at its top.

3 ) Photoremo@Navi compatible (using the optional Bluetooth unit ND-BT10)

The new navigation systems can interact with Photoremo@Navi-compatible mobile phones to be marketed this summer and beyond, via the optional Bluetooth unit ND-BT10. Photoremo@Navi functions include:

* "Photoremo@Navi POI data Transmission" to set the navigation systems to automatically begin route searches when the systems are activated based on the POI data transferred from compatible mobile phones. All users have to do is timer-set the mobile phones to transfer Photoremo images with the POI data stored in the data folders before they get into the car.

* "Photoremo@Navi Mail Transmission" to easily send memos prepared in advance and other information such as the current position and estimated arrival time to other parties via e-mail.

* "Photoremo@Navi Information Notice" to check unread e-mail and missed calls in the users' mobile phones on the car navigation screen.

4 ) DSRC-applied services (using the DSRC unit ND-DSRC1 optionally available)

Users can make use of novel DSRC-applied services in addition to the ETC function. The DSRC-applied services will include:

* "5.8GHz VICS Service" provides a wide range of traffic information primarily on expressways in addition to congestion information. This includes "safety driving assist information" that informs drivers of the existence of merging vehicles and obstacles in the way ahead and other traffic condition information that is provided with voice and images captured by roadside cameras.

* "DSRC Information Service (sightseeing information, etc.)" allows drivers to browse information on nearby sightseeing spots by communicating with DSRC roadside units in service areas and other specific areas.

* "DSRC Charge Settling Service"*3 enables the payment of parking fees with IC credit cards via wireless communications with drivers onboard the cars.

* "DSRC Uplink Function" enables drivers to send their mileage records and other information to roadside DSRC units via the DSRC units to post information and improve services.

5 ) Improved picture quality and sound (only for the AVIC-VH9900 and AVIC-ZH9900)

The picture quality of the 7.0-inch wide VGA monitor has been greatly improved especially when it is viewed from higher positions. When a DVD or other video sources are viewed on the monitor from 30 degree or higher positions, the conventional problem of unclear, dark images - a phenomenon where the gradation of images cannot be correctly rendered - has been significantly reduced. Sound quality has been remarkably improved as well by carefully selecting quality parts - ex. replacing power supply capacitors around the power amplifier with dedicated audio capacitors.

6 ) ATRAC Advanced Lossless music server for high sound quality recordings (only for the AVIC-VH9900 and AVIC-ZH9900)

ATRAC Advanced Lossless is used as the codec to record CDs onto the system's hard disk to achieve high sound quality recordings that retain the sound quality of the original CDs. Data is compressed to 50%*4 of that of the original CD without the loss of any musical information. This enables the recordings of greater numbers of musical tunes in linear PCM equivalent high sound quality.

7 ) Bluetooth Audio wireless playback and iPhone® connectivity (only for the AVIC-VH9900 and AVIC-ZH9900)

By using the ND-BT10 Bluetooth Unit (optionally available), it is possible to play musical data stored in mobile phones and portable audio players that comply with the Bluetooth audiovisual profile. The car navigation systems are iPhone® compatible as well with the use of the optional CD-I021 iPod® connection cable.

I don't think those models are relevant.... Pioneer has always had completely different models in japan, because they have a totally different infrastructure there with all sorts of over-the-air features that are not available in any countries outside Japan....

See f.i. also here:

http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2009/05/16/pioneer-avic-zh9900

Yep, we said “yenâ€. Don’t expect this to come out in the U.S. It would be a waste anyways. U.S. don’t have the infrastructure to support most of the features Pioneer AVIC-ZH9900 offers. - which include “Smart Loop traffic congestion informationâ€, Real-time road data update, Photoremo@Navi technology, and DSRC (Dedicated Short-Range Communications)-applied services

Yep, the US internet infrastructure is lagging other countries by quite a bit, especially for the average user. So I would be surprised to see anything comparable in terms of services. I would also look at the previous year released over there for a guide as for HW.

In general I would assume they would want to fill out the chart they have on the product catalogs, the Z looks pretty blank. I would be surprised if many of those blanks are not added to get the Z up to par.