AVIC411.com

F90bt w/ Factory Bose & Aftermarket Sub + Amp Question

I'm currently in the process of replacing my 2001 Audi Allroad's factory Bose Symphony I system with a Pioneer Avic F90BT HU and I have a couple questions regarding speakers and Amps.

While I intend to completely replace all Bose equipment eventually (probably sometime this fall) financially, that's just not an option for me right now. Therefore, for the time being I'm running the Pioneer HU through the factory installed Bose system for the cabin, but I plan to remove the Bose subwoofer immediately and run my own directly from the HU through an aftermarket Amp.

My problem is that I cannot decide whether one 12" Sub (approx. 300-400 Watt RMS, ie: Kenwood KFC-W3012) in an enclosed box would be enough, or if two 10's (ie: Pioneer TSW258D4, also enclosed) would compliment better.

I'm basically looking for a good balance between clarity and "boom", but I tend to lean slightly toward the "boom" from the Subs since I assume the clarity would be handled moreso inside the cabin. I don't need my setup to be heard blocks away, but I definately want a good, clear sound with a bump that I can feel in my bones while driving.

One 12" would take less space, but I have an enclosure for two 10"s already so that would save a little money.

Any advice and/or suggestions?

Also, anybody have any experience with MB Quart Amps? Opinions?

TIA.

I have a 900BT (just about the same as a 90BT)with a 450w amp and a 12" sub. Only the sub is amped and it sounds great. real clean sound and plenty of bass. But if you have the box for 2 10's just do that and have plenty of boom.

good luck

its all about WHAT sub you get, i have installed systems before where one 10" hit harder than two 12"s. personally i would go with a single 12" in a tuned ported box. the ported box will give you a more bass and volume than a sealed box will, while a single 12 will save you on space, i also would choose a 12" because it will hit deeper and lower than a compairable 10" giving you that "feeling in the bones" that you are looking for. maybe somthing like a 12" alpine type R (500W RMS @ dual 4 OHM coils) and their MRP M500 mono amp (500W RMS @ 2 OHMS)

Thanks to all who replied. All of your input is appreciated, but goes to show that everyone will have their own personal opinions when it comes to speakers.

I was able to get some really good deals so I decided to try both of the options I was considering. I found an enclosed 12" Pioneer Premier Champion Series Subwoofer (500W RMS) and an enclosed pair of 10" MTX Thunder4500's (225W RMS) for $100 each, so I bought them both. I also bought an Alpine 500W RMS Mono amp, so once I get it installed, I'll try both options and see which one works better for me. I was actually thinking that if the 2 10" inch setup works better, I might still hold on to the 12" box for times when I need the trunk/hatch space.

In case anybody is interested, I'll post my conclusions once I get everything delivered and set-up.

Thanks again to all who replied.

I have a F90BT / Factory Bose and an Amp. I have a Nissan Maxima. I can assure you that my single 10" is more than enough. My Sub is a Infiniti BaseLink II. I keep the levels on it low, as not to disturb others around me (or ruin my hearing). If you are wanting to give it a try, start off with one Sub. Its cheaper to get one now, then buy 2 before you realize that 2 are too much.