AVIC411.com

ND BT1 Bluetooth "fix"

[quote name="digxrayguy"]Well, tsiawd666 was right. The echo is still there and I'm back at square one. The only way to try and work with the system is to turn the volume down where it's really not useable. I have a fairly quiet '04 Suburban and it just doesn't work. I'm going to call back to Pioneer tomorrow and follow up with the case # to complain. I would encourage everyone else that is not satisfied with the results of the bluetooth product to call and complain. Other companies are able to provide a product without the echo so Pioneer needs to improve the processing of the system to ignore the signal it just output.

Thanks to all for the input.

digxrayguy[/quote]

Where is your mic located? Can you place it right in front of you behind the steering wheel. Here's a pic of mine. Phone vol low. Plus I just recv the Nokia E62 and so far it sounds better than my Razr. No hissing air noise. Just clean.

K
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be calling them first thing tomorrow morning. I'm pissed!!! I bought the Z1 just for the Bluetooth and Nav, just the same. Typically I am acting as the driver for the company and having to write things down on the fly having one less item in my hands is something I was really looking forward to. Now, I have only tried it from two different phones but so far ECHO ECHO ECHO. The dispatcher cant read orders to me, nor can I speak with clients like this! I am going to try the mic relocation method tomorrow. It makes sense. I'll post what I discover from the mic move. Currently the mic is up behind the rear-view and cell phone is t-mobile dash.

Is there nothing we can do??? - Maybe a few resisters or diodes group connected somehow and wrapped up?

Jokingly but seriously also? Isn't there something that can be bought or built that maybe that can be in-ine with the mic, or something, to reduce feedback or something?

DUCATIBOY ...!>>!>>>>> HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

BRATT VT
I have moved my mic to just behind the steering wheel (just like the pic of the Armada up top AND NOTHING CHANGED! Still echo on the other end yadda yadda yadda.
I have thought about maybe a cotton ball at the end of the mic to act as a filter to unwanted sounds and so forth. I figured I'd try to put just a cotton ball atop the mic and see if that helps....

I forgot to call pioneer and lean into them about this. I will call them today this afternoon.

Matt
Did you try reverting the Z1 to the factory settings and re-pairing the phone like I mentioned earlier in the thread? Sucks to lose everything but it was worth it to have the bluetooth work correctly

[quote name="mhyde71"]I have moved my mic to just behind the steering wheel (just like the pic of the Armada up top AND NOTHING CHANGED! Still echo on the other end yadda yadda yadda.
I have thought about maybe a cotton ball at the end of the mic to act as a filter to unwanted sounds and so forth. I figured I'd try to put just a cotton ball atop the mic and see if that helps....

I forgot to call pioneer and lean into them about this. I will call them today this afternoon.

Matt[/quote]
Hey djoker. Just catching up but I haven’t tried moving the mic yet. I’ll give it a try this weekend. Right now it’s on the rearview mirror. I don’t think it’s the phone. I recently changed my Treo 700w to a Q because of instability of the Treo but the echo’s been there for both.

Question to all, reading another post from whtcrxghst:
“Did you try reverting the Z1 to the factory settings and re-pairing the phone like I mentioned earlier in the thread? Sucks to lose everything but it was worth it to have the bluetooth work correctly”

If you set up the volumes where they should be, rename the phone so it looks like a completely different phone, wouldn’t that be the same as a complete factory reset to pair as a new phone? It’s a lot less painful than the factory reset. :)
I don’t know if all phones allow changing the name but the Mobile 5 OS does.

Thanks all for a great forum. It’s real helpful.
Pardon my straight-forwardness, but this is all horse shit. They advertise Bluetooth, we should get Bluetooth without putting 'tin foil on the antenna.' Are there any members here that are lawyers and can we do anything? I would be willing to donate webspace for a website or petition, if needed.
Seems I am an idiot. I posted earlier stating I tried changing my bluetooth headset mic/speaker gains as listed by the op and that I had no success. Well... it had been so long since I had played with my gain tables that I forgot I needed to power cycle the phone for my changes to take effect :?

I realized this because I had inadvertently bounced the phone while I was playing with something else a few days ago... and when I was on a phone call in the car afterwards not only could I barely hear anyone but they could barely hear me. I realized the gain setting changes had taken effect.

Currently with my gains at 1 and 1 in my SLVR callers say they can barely hear me. I called a friend in the car while standing outside and confirmed the mic volume is pretty low. Inside the car I could also barely hear the voice through my speakers with my Z1 set to 3 bars. So I started immediately playing and upped it all the way to max volume in the Z1, which brought the voice volume JUST to a good level. On the other end (standing outside) you could still not hear echo.

Anyway, seems like what's really going on is we're going through a balancing act of adjust the mic gain with the speaker volume to find a happy balance. By dropping the gains I think I'm gaining more granularity in the volume adjustments, which helps get the most out of the system. Unfortunately the echo cancellation with the Z1 as we know sucks ass and makes it difficult.

I'm going to play with increasing my mic gain now so callers can hear me but not hear themselves, and I'll post what I find.
I gues I'm going to fall on the "blue tooth sucks ass" side. Moving the mic did not help and a user should not have to go through so much trouble and "balance" a function like this. I also beleive it's not the mic but the processing of the mic signal to not "pick up" what was just output from the receiving signal. In the digital world of x-rays they can do a digital subtracton of one image from another taken millisconds later but with a contrast agent flowing through an artery with the end resulut of seeing a clear image of the blood flowing through. Same concept. Subtract the signal and it won't echo. :evil:

Let's all keep complaining to the OEM.

digxrayguy
The thread isn't for discussing whether or not the bluetooth sucks with the z1. It does, there's no question about it. Pioneer provided a piss poor implementation out of the box.

This thread IS for discussing a possible work-around for those that would like to try to have a functional system.

While you may just want to complain about the problems, I'd like to try to get things somewhat usable until such time Pioneer provides a solution (which I'm not counting on). So I'd appreciate it if you folks kept such comments to some other thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I played with my bluetooth gain settings, upping my mic gain from 1 to 5. The person I tested with said my voice sounded good, but I had echo with my Z1 at the max phone volume. The next day I dropped the gain from 5 to 3, and was told that my voice was just a bit quiet, and occasionally hard to hear, also sounding somewhat higher pitched than usual. I'll up my mic gain to 4 today which I hope will give me a good mic pickup but also allow me to max out my phone volume on my side. I'll then comment on what this leaves me with (is it usable or not?).
Lets try this. Someone PM me their Phone # and a good time to call on Sat and we will try to work this out 2GETHER. Whether or not pioneer so called dropped the ball it seems to be problem with some not all. Diff phones have diff settings and means of functions.

Even before Bluetooth I have had a Cell phone kit in all my cars that I installed and There were issues of Echo even then. Proper mic placement or Vol control was normally the main cause and fixable. Now with Bluetooth in the pic things are diff.

I know for a fact if you have a Center speaker in the front that placing the mic on the Visor is a no go. Think of it this way have you ever heard on a radio show when a caller calls in they have to be told to turn their radio down.......? Well the same thing applies. I have a deep dash behind the wheel and it helps with the BLOCKING of the sound coming back to the mic. Even with mine D1 and CD-BT100 I had a problem at 1st with echo even where the mic is. I turnedd down the phone and up on the HU. Then I went backwards with the adjustments and now I'm clear.

So sorry to say this but I have to be blunt. Stop the Bi%&*(n and lets work on this 2GETHER. Yeah you paid a large amount of money for your sys but it is do-able. And if we get a conference going then so be it. I'm game.

K
I'm pretty sure it is not the mic but the way the Z1 handles voice cancelling. The unit needs to cancel out the callers. This is a function of Mobile Windows. This is something Pioneer needs to fix with an update.
We all need to complain bitterly to Pioneer. This unit costs too much money to operate like this (Bluetooth echo). BT needs to be a useable function or they need to drop support for it; otherwise they are just taking our money.
Some folks are confusing a noise cancelling function with voice (echo) cancelling.
Noise cancelling is like the Bose Quiet Comfort headset... Voice cancelling is what the Pioneer [b]doesn't[/b] do....