AVIC411.com

F500BT - noob questions

Hi, i just picked up a F500BT and cant say enough about the amount features packed into this little monster (divx for one!). I just have a few questions, hopefully this is the right thread, if not i apologize (hopefully someone can move this post).

1. Im not sure if i may have damaged the mounting bracket since the up and down (not telescoping) portion "grinds" when switching positions unlike the the tilt (side to side) which is quite smooth.

2. My unit was manufactured in Jul/08 (same with amp), should i be aware of any new hardware upgrades or fixes on the newer units (for example after performing the firmware upgrade to 2.0 my map is still at 1.0060.. is this ok?), since im still within the exchange period at my local retailer.

3. Lastly, i dont really need the amp (since the gps is for my dads truck...he plans to use it as an on dash unit from time to time), but i dont think we have a choice up here to buy the f500bt alone. I was thinking instead of just installing the amp in my beater (96 corolla with stock tape deck/speakers...) in the hopes that the sound quality might improve from the stock deck/speakers lol (is this even possible or just pointless)...or load up an sd card for the F500bt and use it as an mp3 player in my corolla with the sound coming out the car speakers instead of the F500BT (this would be the ideal scenario if possible).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help (*puts flame suit on just in case :o ).

1) i have similar issue with grinding but stopped using their mount.

2) Have no idea about the map , if you did 2.0 update - you are on the latest stuff.

3) I've hooked up 500BT+amp+iPod+backup camera in my Toyota Highlander - sound from iPod is great through car's speakers. It doesn't go VERY loud, but loud enough for me (amp is only 50w channel). It is a great all around multi-media+navi system.

I can watch movies from iPod or SD card, listen to iPod music, listen to radio and get navi prompts, see rear view from camera... sound is great, unit is awesome, bluetooth works fine....I'm happy with mine!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.

I have had some time to test the GPS portion and its pretty solid (TTS, accuracy, recalculations, etc). The only reason i ask about the build date/map version is because there are quite a few new roads and malls/real estate development going up in my area. The F500BT had no problem navigating to the general vicinity of the area (from which point onwards i am more than capable of reaching my destination :lol:) but it would be nice to have access to them in the POI menu.

As for the amp i havent had a chance yet to figure out what to do with it :?...

Thanks for the reply.

I have had some time to test the GPS portion and its pretty solid (TTS, accuracy, recalculations, etc). The only reason i ask about the build date/map version is because there are quite a few new roads and malls/real estate development going up in my area. The F500BT had no problem navigating to the general vicinity of the area (from which point onwards i am more than capable of reaching my destination :lol:) but it would be nice to have access to them in the POI menu.

As for the amp i havent had a chance yet to figure out what to do with it :?...

There have not been any official updates to F-Series maps/POIs from Pioneer yet. Check the hacks forum for "unofficial" options.