AVIC411.com

AVIC-F700BT USB Cable Question

Hey all, I was referred here from another forum in hopes of getting some questions I had answered. Anyway, to keep it simple, I will just copy and past my questions:

Well, I've had the F700 for a while now, but early last week, my car was broken into and my pioneer was almost stolen. Luckily, I think the maxima dash confused the thieves and they got away without it. It was no biggy fixing all the wires they had messed up, or replacing the dash that they messed up, but they cut/tore the USB cable. That leaves me without like ALL my music, and I dont think I can take another week of radio. Does anybody know if pioneer sells a whole replacement cable, or were I could possibly by a USB receptacle that is compatible and splice it?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the unit has an SD card, use that

not hard at all to get a USB to SD card reader and an 1-16GB SD card.

Plus you can get a fast 15mb/s card and it will be faster than usb, i think

The biggest problem is that the interface for non-ipod sources is downright archaic and a royal PITA compared to the ipod integration, replacing the USB cable for someone that has some basic electronics repair skills is NBD.

The biggest problem is that the interface for non-ipod sources is downright archaic and a royal PITA compared to the ipod integration, replacing the USB cable for someone that has some basic electronics repair skills is NBD.

The thread creator did not mention anything about an ipod.

Second, I was under the impression that an ipod would not work in the USB alone, and that the unit(s) needed a special cable for it, possibly for one of the connectors in the back of the unit.

Third, using the proprietary apple connection for ipods DOES charge the unit, but the sound quality is actually lower than using the 3.5mm jacks

I'm sure there are some areas I don't know about for the 2, such as if you can control the ipod/view songs playing from it on the head unit, etc...

The thread creator did not mention anything about an ipod.

Second, I was under the impression that an ipod would not work in the USB alone, and that the unit(s) needed a special cable for it, possibly for one of the connectors in the back of the unit.

Third, using the proprietary apple connection for ipods DOES charge the unit, but the sound quality is actually lower than using the 3.5mm jacks

I'm sure there are some areas I don't know about for the 2, such as if you can control the ipod/view songs playing from it on the head unit, etc...

I was replying to your specific suggestion of using SD and bringing up the limitations that come from it being far less graceful than an ipod-based solution.

Pioneer has spent almost no effort on the non-ipod USB and SD playback interface, and it shows.

• 5 weeks later...

I have purchased 2 avics in the past couple weeks. A f700bt and a f900bt. One had a severed usb cable. The other was in really good shape. I spliced and reinforced the usb cable on the severed one. I noticed that the cable had been pulled free of the plug on the circuit board. Easy fix, just some dismantling plug back in and reassemble. I wasn't surprised by this on the severed usb cable unit. The really nice 900bt wouldn't recognize anything usb related. Since I had the previous experience with the unplugged usb on the 700bt, I looked inside. Sure thing! Plugged it back in and works like a champ.

So.....

If you think you have a bad usb.... pop the top and look inside. They tend to come unplugged REALLY easily!

Hope that helps someone out. :grin:

BTW I zip-tied the usb cable to one of the brass posts that hold up the cd/dvd assy. That helps it to not get yanked again.

the ipod cable actually sounds better that the 3.5 jack with very few exceptions,

when youing the ipods dock connector, the sound is taken directly as a signal, when the sound is taken from the 3.5 it has to run through the volume adjusting circuit on the ipod, which will cause it to lose a little SQ.

if the volume on the ipod it too low, then you will have a weaker signal going to the AVIC, and you will be amplifying more noise along with the music, if the volume is too high, then it will start to distort causing another loss in SQ

the internal DA converter that poineer uses for SD and USB(flash drives)is complete rubbish and it does show in the sound quality, but at least the sound isnt quite as bad as the interface is.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have purchased 2 avics in the past couple weeks. A f700bt and a f900bt. One had a severed usb cable. The other was in really good shape. I spliced and reinforced the usb cable on the severed one. I noticed that the cable had been pulled free of the plug on the circuit board. Easy fix, just some dismantling plug back in and reassemble. I wasn't surprised by this on the severed usb cable unit. The really nice 900bt wouldn't recognize anything usb related. Since I had the previous experience with the unplugged usb on the 700bt, I looked inside. Sure thing! Plugged it back in and works like a champ.

So.....

If you think you have a bad usb.... pop the top and look inside. They tend to come unplugged REALLY easily!

Hope that helps someone out. :-D

BTW I zip-tied the usb cable to one of the brass posts that hold up the cd/dvd assy. That helps it to not get yanked again.

Tony, thanks for that tip.  I am installing and testing a F700BT that I got off of craigslist.  The USB did not work at all.  Sure enough, the cable was completely disconnected inside the unit.  When I did get it connected, the grommet on the cable was much to close to the connecter to reach the back of the unit. If that grommet was at one time properly placed in the case opening, there had to be  lot of pull on that cable and no wonder it came out of the connector.  I also zip tied it to the brass post you mentioned and left the grommet inside the case.

• 1 year later...

I just had a issue where the iPod wouldn't work, and wouldn't charge. Checked the wire connection inside and it was good. Found the USB plug on the board had a bad ground connection. Spliced the black wire to the chassis and now my IPod is working and charging. I thought the cable was bad.

• 9 months later...