AVIC411.com

Avic Z1 won't work with car that has bose audio?

Depending on the vehicle, there are several companies that make adapters to interface with OEM Bose systems. Most Bose systems are setup for just 2 channels of audio (L & R), and then process/crossover from there, not leaving the user very much in the way of control (Fader, Balance, etc..). My opinion is if you are not going to try to add other speakers to the system, then you can use it. If you want more bass, better highs (I know, I know - "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose!"), then you usually be better off taking it all out & starting from the ground up.
Depends a lot on the vehicle. The above post describes newer gm bose systems. Quite a few imports with the bose system , you can use the rca preouts of the d1/2 to provide signal to the factory amp. Take for instance the 350z, with that car, instead of using a 70-7550 wire harness, you'd use a 70-7551 and that will allow you to retain the bose system and still replace theradio.
I installed the Z1 in my Audi w/ Bose. I bypassed the amplifier, since it's got all of the x-overs, etc. in it, but I used the stock mids in the front doors and the stockers in the rear. It works, and if you're using a decent amplifer, sounds decent, since the stock Bose speaks are 2-ohm. You'd be better served though, just upgrading it all. To answer your question, yes, it's doable, but difficult when utilizing the Bose amplifier.
[quote name="ImolaVirus"]I installed the Z1 in my Audi w/ Bose. I bypassed the amplifier, since it's got all of the x-overs, etc. in it, but I used the stock mids in the front doors and the stockers in the rear. It works, and if you're using a decent amplifer, sounds decent, since the stock Bose speaks are 2-ohm. You'd be better served though, just upgrading it all. To answer your question, yes, it's doable, but difficult when utilizing the Bose amplifier.[/quote]

I had mine installed in my RSX-S using the bose amps and speakers but in the end, ImolaVirus is right. You will never get great sound out of a bose system so I ripped it out and upgraded everything....Steve
I also have an Acura RSX Type-S, and the installer didn't even have to use a converter. He wired to the harness in some clever fashion, and the system sounds [b]better[/b] than it did with the stock head unit!!

I'll try to find out exactly what he did so I can share it here as well.
  • 4 weeks later...
Well it all depends on what bose system you have, metra makes many amp bypass and intergraion harnesses, I have an audi a6 with bose and for the time being I used metra part 70-1787 wich plugs into your factory harness and has rca preouts to plug into the back of the head unit, I sell these parts at my work, what car is it for?