AVIC411.com

F700BT with Onstar mic

maybe, you will need to cut into the mics and solder the pioneer plug onto the gm mic, will it sound as good as the pioneer mic, only one way to find out, will it look better than the pioneer mic, YES, also if you do this, you wont have a mic for the onstar anymore (incase you where installing the unit and planning to retain the Onstar)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i've done lots of cars with stock oem mics and yes it works great especially the onstar mics because they have noise cancelation

I am so happy you responded to this. There 's a lot of talk on this (from what I uncovered) but no one ever says they tried it.

I am going to install my AVIC 700bt into my 2002 Saab 9-3 SE CNV this weekend. What do I need to know to hook into the OnStar Mic.

I am pretty sure that the mic is on the A Pillar. And, another (may be dumb) question... this renders the onstar buttons useless, right?

Thanks. I am so thankful you replied. I am so pumped. I so want to use that OnStar mic....b/c, from what I recall, it was pretty good when I used those 30 free mins years ago.

i've done lots of cars with stock oem mics and yes it works great especially the onstar mics because they have noise cancelation

I am so happy you responded to this. There 's a lot of talk on this (from what I uncovered) but no one ever says they tried it.

I am going to install my AVIC 700bt into my 2002 Saab 9-3 SE CNV this weekend. What do I need to know to hook into the OnStar Mic.

I am pretty sure that the mic is on the A Pillar. And, another (may be dumb) question... this renders the onstar buttons useless, right?

Thanks. I am so thankful you replied. I am so pumped. I so want to use that OnStar mic....b/c, from what I recall, it was pretty good when I used those 30 free mins years ago.

they do make special harnesses the will retain the OnStar after replacing the radio, there not cheap either. however if you disconnect the mic from the OnStar module and use if for something else, then your onstar is pretty much useless with out its mic.

(1) find the mic wire

(2) cut the end off of it

(3) take the mic that came with the avic

(4) cut the mic off of the cable

(5) solder the cable (from the avic's mic) to the onstar mic

(6) plug it in to the avic

From what I recall lasteveinng, the Pioneer Mic cable is 2.5 mm. (and as I do not have mic; friend broke it taking it out of car) can I just use any other 2.5 mic "thingy".

and, someone mentioned on a post someewhere that those mics have two different "impedences" (sp)... which dodges the question. ...how does one locate these wires?

I was actually looking into this recently. I don't have a car with OnStar, a Pontiac GTO, but I need to redo my headliner and was thinking about getting a OnStar Mic from some GM vehicle at a junk yard and creating a hole in my headliner and inserting it for a clean, OEM look. I just had a couple questions. Are the OnStar Mic's any good? I see they have noise cancellation but would that work since it's not installed in a OnStar equipped car? Is there only a hot and ground wire coming from the OnStar Mic? From the Pioneer Mic cable?

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Would it be possible to simply splice into the mic and not completely cut it off from Onstar? I have and would like to keep Onstar and I'm wondering why they both couldn't be connected?

having i mic hooked up two two devices at the same time might get some type of feed back from one or the other devices, but only one way to find out