AVIC411.com

F90BT displays "System Startup..." message and then reboots

First a little background info:

The unit, AVIC F90BT, has only been in my car a week! I installed just last weekend (May 29th). I purchased the unit as a Pioneer refurb.

I installed the unit with the GPS receiver and the iPod control (controlling a 2nd gen iPod Nano). There is no back up camera, or satellite radio (XM/Sirius) hooked up. The F90BT came with firmware 2.0 installed. The only mods I did were the hardwire bypass (which I found here: http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19689, and played around with custom splash screens (uploaded via a 1GB USB flash drives or a 128MB SD card).

Not sure if it matters, but the unit is installed in a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (MT) -- this vehicle is mechanically and electronically identical to the WRX wagon (of the same year).

The problem:

Tonight, leaving the restaurant I was at, the unit booted up and started up just fine.... and then it rebooted all of a sudden and hasn't functioned quite right since then.

The unit turns on, goes to the splash screen, and then the top menu (where "Destination", "Contacts", and "Audio" is displayed, with a message stating "System Startup In Progress. Please Wait."

0605090128.jpg

..,Nothing unusual... However, the "System Startup in Progress. Please Wait." message doesn't go away, and the unit will reboot after a period of time (about 5 minutes).

I am able to access my iPod and radio, and the touch screen is functional, but the message never goes away, and I can't get to the GPS/Navigation screen because where the "OK" button normally is, is covered by the System Startup message. Same would go for trying to play a DVD - where the "OK" button is, is covered by the System Startup message. Otherwise, I can use the touchscreen -- I can go to settings, etc., as long as it's not completely covered by the System Startup message.

I have tried to reset the unit, but the problem persists. I did search the forums, but it seemed a lot of people where having issues with either the GPS/Navigation Mode, or the unit was not even cycling past the splash screen.

Any ideas or suggestions? Or since the unit is still covered under manufacturer's warranty, I should just ship the unit back? (Which I'd rather NOT do if I don't need to...)

Thanks,

HP

2 choices:

1. Send it back to Pioneer (they'll blame it on the hardware bypass)

2. Start reading how to use Testmode. It is covered in depth in the hacks section FAQ

Try a hard reset by holding eject and reset for 5 seconds. If no joy, enter Testmode.

You need to delete 4 gpsparaxx.bin files from the root of MyFlashDisk and then delete the contents of the user\userdata\ folder.

If still no joy, you can try my ResetToOEM file from here:

ftp://avic:avic-411@buckeyecollision.us ... tToOEM.zip

It will replace several key files on the unit. Read the readme in the archive.

Good luck.

2 choices:

2. Start reading how to use Testmode. It is covered in depth in the hacks section FAQ

Try a hard reset by holding eject and reset for 5 seconds. If no joy, enter Testmode.

You need to delete 4 gpsparaxx.bin files from the root of MyFlashDisk and then delete the contents of the user\userdata\ folder.

Good luck.

Hmm... I guess I'll give it a go and try those solutions.

Has anyone figured out what causes this problem? From my reading, it seems like others have had similar problems with reboots (with various units, F900, F700, etc.).

A little more in-depth response, now that I'm awake...

I'm going to do a search now and post into this thread (so if someone's looking for this information in the future it's all in one place).

2 choices:

I've read in other threads that they'll blame it on the hardware bypass... to me, this seems like a software issue though? I'm no expert though. :lol:

I will probably exhaust my 'self-help' options before sending it in. I'd rather not have a big hole in my dash. I could be a little less lazy and put a different HU in there (since I have 2 others lying around...), but I digress.

I found the Testmode information here: http://avic411.com/wiki/index.php/EnteringTestMode

My question was, since I might be moving files back and forth in Testmode, what is the optimal size SD card I should use for Testmode? I would be leaving this card as the "Testmode" card should I need to use it again in the future.

I did try doing both a soft and hard reset, and it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

I found this information here: http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22763&hilit=reboot+help&start=15#p156138

Which says to delete 4 files named gpspara0.bin, gpspara1.bin, gpspara2.bin and gpspara3.bin. I'm hoping the user\userdata\folder will be apparent when I am in Testmode.

Forgive me if this comes off totally noobish... afterall, I am one. I found another thread, with the F90BT back-up files here: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=21618&p=160394&hilit=f90bt+backup#p158522

It seems that your ResetToOEM.zip file would be a lot smaller, and a lot easier to do... what are the differences between your back-up and the other one?

Thanks,

HP

Hey Gents, I am new to the boards but have lots of knowledge about car audio. I have been in and out of this file system and I have tried reloading Version 2, resetting to OEM, and have deleted all the files mentioned. The issue I'm having is I Cannot delete the user/userdata file. After hours of playing around it seems like this file is one of the issues. When I attempt to Delete I get an error message saying "cannot delete check to make sure disk isn't write protected or the file is in use". So I tried renaming the user/userdata folder to something the startup wouldn't see and restarted. That worked, it brought me to the TTS screen where you pick a default language and then brought me to the main screen and the system startup was gone. I was pumped until I tried to go the nav screen and it was getting stuck on the Notice screen (no map, or settings can be reached), after a restart again, it went back to system startup and rebooting 2 mins later and so on. Does anybody know how to delete this user file, I tried to copy over it (made a fake user folder and copied and pasted) and it won't delete the corrupt files. Is there a way to completely overwrite the file system? Thanks for your help.

I tried to delete the GPSXXXXXX.bin files and files under the user\userdata\folder and doing a hard reset. Though it gets rid of the "System Start up message", the unit will eventually reboot and the message comes back.

Interestingly enough... I've gotten to the point where the "System Start" message does not block the DVD warning (as it did previously), and only the navigation warning. All other functions work. I am thinking it's something with the GPS/Navigation?

I have tried to boot the unit without the GPS antenna attached and still the same problem.

I have also tried cmh928's "ResettoOEM" files, but still get the warning and reboots.

I am currently downloading the F90BT back-up files from here: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... up#p158522

I will back up my current FlashDisk, and then try loading the 'fresh' backup files to see if will solve the problem.

I found this out while I was trying to back-up/re-load.

It seems there are a number of files in the MyFlashDisk\APL2\iGo folders that have been created that I cannot move/rename/delete... one is just two little squares, the rest are: "c", "e" and "t". All without any file extensions.

When I highlight these, I don't have the option to do anything with them. Whatever these are, they are corrupt files.

Also noticed that in my iGo Content folder... there is no content (i.e. map or POI info). However, the space used on MyFlashDisk would indicate that they are SOMEWHERE... :evil:

Guess I'll be calling Pioneer tomorrow and sending the unit in.

Same as above, I've deleted the gpspara files, all under userdata and done a hard reset - after deleting the userdata files, it came up asking me to confirm language, etc, but when I press anything to do with the map side of things it freezes. After the hard reset, all the button lights were pulsing blue. However, after a few minutes it rebooted again and the system startup message appeared. To be honest, I'm not impressed with the unit at all. If I ever get it sorted it'll probably find its way onto ebay - wish I'd gone for a tomtom now :(

Called the store I bought the unit from and they told me to return it to them, which is what I'm about to head out the door and do.

I like the unit when it worked, but as someone has said on the boards... you buy a product hoping it would integrate everything and pay a little more for extras. I already had a HU that plays my iPod and controls it via the front controls and I had a stand-alone. I didn't "need" all that other stuff, but I was willing to spend a little more to have it all in one place and what not.

Hoping they can resolve my issues!

H

PS: My g/f did note that I didn't have a problem until AFTER I used an SD card... hmmm?

I gave up and after a few phone calls found the right company to phone for warranty repair - very efficient, provided an RA number straight away, the prepaid return lable arrived the next morning and a quick call to UPS saw it on the van winging its way down to the repair centre in Wiltshire, bypassing the dealer and Pioneer :)

Don't know if it's as smooth in the States - the only downside is the big hole in the middle of my dash :(

it has to due with the cracked ezrider and the maps it's the nav part of the unit that's faulting out. i just restored factory ezrider and maps. everything works fine now. i'll just wait for updated firmware from pioneer for new maps. not really planning on going anywhere so i'm good for now with the 2007 maps :)

it has to due with the cracked ezrider and the maps it's the nav part of the unit that's faulting out. i just restored factory ezrider and maps. everything works fine now. i'll just wait for updated firmware from pioneer for new maps. not really planning on going anywhere so i'm good for now with the 2007 maps :)

My system was stock. The only mods were the hardwire and a custom splash screen.

In any event, I sent the unit out on Monday and received a replacement today (Friday)... it goes in over the weekend, and hopefully doesn't have any problems!

My system was stock. The only mods were the hardwire and a custom splash screen.

In any event, I sent the unit out on Monday and received a replacement today (Friday)... it goes in over the weekend, and hopefully doesn't have any problems!

wow i hope that this 3.0 fixes all this stuff only thing i had was the hacked ezrider and maps when mine started rebooting, just changed it back to stock ezrider/maps all is good now.

Try this. I've just been given this tip by a dealer but it was too late for me as I've already sent it off. Would be interesting to know if it works.

1) with NAV powered off, insert a blank, formatted SD card

2) turn ignition on - NAV will start to copy some system files to the SD card

3) not sure how long you should leave it or if you get any prompts, but after giving it time to write to the card, turn off the ignition

4) put SD card in your PC and put the Pioneer update files on it

5) insert SD card in NAV, turn on ignition and (hopefully) it should boot and re-install the firmware