AVIC411.com

Navi voice guidance not working

I just got my AVIC-N2 and for about a week now the voice does not give me step by step directions. Also in the submenu I can only choose map view or driver view the other options are grayed out. I have the VSS wire hooked up and I thought it would take a few days for the system to learn my driving, however, it still hasn't 'learned'. The bar in connection status is still incomplete. I've tried resetting the unit it doesn't help.

The only way I can hear the guidance mode is if I put it in demo mode. When I do that it does the turn by turn steps with the image turns. But its in demo mode. I did bypass the unit and it is working because I can watch movies with no problem. Anyone know what might be wrong?

Thanks.
Well the other two view modes will stay grayed out until you are driving along a programmed route.

It was take a few hundred miles for the learning state to be completed. It takes time.

Is the voice guidance volume turned all the way down?

If you have the steering wheel remote, and you hit 'Navi' and then use the volume buttons, it will adjust the volume of the nav voice.

I can't recall how to change it on the headunit now, but someone will come along who knows.
it can be how far have you driven. It took mine almost 1000 miles to fully learn everything. Also the unit can only learn turns as you make them. Here in new jersey it seems like making a left is illegal so the left turn took the longerst for the unit to learn completely.
Yeah I think theres something wrong with either my VSS wire or my unit. Tonite on the drive home from work (20 miles) i decided to leave it on the 3d calibration screen and just watch it periodically. What I noticed is that the distance meter gets about halfway full then resets, it did this continuously every 15 minutes. I also noticed that it displays the wrong speed every time I shift, but if I leave it in a gear for more than 2 minutes it would change to the right speed. I'm thinking about removing the VSS wire tomorrow and see if it affects it. If not I'm probably gonna take this thing back and go with the Eclipse model I considered before this. I'm pretty disappointed with this unit...
You can try this for vss.

Speed Sense white/black or black/red data link connector
Notes: The data link connector is under the driver side dash.

You didn't use that stupid crimp connector that the unit comes with did you? If so I'd day try actually splicing into the wire.

merry xmas
No, that connector was crap. I spliced into the harness off my ecu. I know the wire is correct because my turbo timer also required the VSS signal and that works fine. Is there anything more definitve than white black or black red? There are a number of harnesses under the driver dash. Does it even specify which years it applies?
Well somewhat, I disconnected the VSS wire and decided to just drive around without it to see what would happen. I noticed after a few seconds it started learning left and right turn which it never did before. 5 min later it went from Sensor Initializing to Simple Hybrid. I had never seen that before so I went ahead and put in the nearest gas station and BAM voice guidance kicked on. It even displays the speed accurately which I didnt think it would do without VSS.

I only drove for about 10 min but it seemed to learn distance, and the turns rather quickly already at about 60%. The 3d section, however, is still at 0. Either way I'm extremely pleased and I guess it was the VSS wire hooked up incorrectly which caused the problem. I'm gonna try that other wire off the OBD harness tomorrow and see if I can get it once and for all.

Just wanted to thank all who helped out. Much appreciated 8)