AVIC411.com

3.0 Map/Firmware update released

There are two separate updates, one for the F500BT, another for all the other in dash models.

Now I have just to figure out how to hardware bypass the video block while moving on the F500BT before I can start wondering if it will still work with the update. Search button here I come...

Please let me know when you find it :)

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair Pioneer is not charging a cent firmware update. They are charging us for the map update. What SUCKS is that they are forcing us to pay for the map update to get the firmware fixes. I don't know if I would buy another Pioneer product again... that includes tv's, dvd/blueray players etc. just plain bad customer service. :(

my question (and thoughts) are this....I have no problem paying $70 for map updates, the firmware fixes should be on them, and they are forcing payment by combining the two...that being said, are they really?

One of us with talent needs to get our hands on this....it could be that there are actually two seperate pieces, the firmware, and the maps. it would make a lot of sense (and easily done) to lock the maps by serial number as this is a third party app and i am sure they have to track and honor a royalty agreement....getting around this would be questionalble (ethically - technically, not so much)

I could see it less probable that the firmware by itself would require an unlock code...this would be in complete opposite thinking of the previous distribution method of v2.0, and what pioneer has claimed (and backed up with v2.0) was there intent to freely distribute new firmware when available.

Now lets add a little business sense....on your web site you post its $130, (result is ppl with whine about it but you establish a psychological value for you product); then you run an "introductory special" of $70 (result is ppl calm down, buy it and feel they got a deal), raise the price back to $130 and stay there for a while (result ppl who paid $70 feel good, everyone else is kicking themselves whining and trying to get it for free) wait six months, break the package apart give the firmware away for free, charge $100 for a map update (result maximum revenue, some ppl will be pissed off, but they have been given a justification - they got it early, with the maps, etc)

Keep in mind everything we are seeing right now is marketing, hence there is nothing but jasons word (and i believe he is right) about intro pricing, and when you call customr service you have a lot of guys speculating and will get a lot of mixed information as to contents and release date....this is pure marketing psycholgy....read this whole thread , then read everything on pioneers web site (as an official company statement)...the only thing known for sure is its considered a "map update that includes firmware" and its MSRP is $130.

In summary, I personally will buy one at $70, take it apart and see if the firmware update is seperate as i suspect....if so that will save anyone else the 9 month marketing wait.

Bummer, was hoping for a bluetooth update. When it works it's great but it's the most flaky BT device I've ever used.

Hopefully there's a few additional bug fixes they're not listing hoping no one will know about them.

Either way I'm sure I'll get it, you never know when an updated map will come in handy especially if you travel a lot.

Dear nubs,

You need to calm down with the speculating and simply read the Pioneer site.

"Coming Soon!

Model year 2009 TeleAtlas database on SD Card, featuring nearly 12 million POI, US and Canada coverage (including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico).

Includes firmware version 3.0, including heading-up option in 2D view, Highway Sign Boards, enhanced map UI with improved contrast, and more. Models with built-in MSN Direct will feature 3 additional channels (news, stocks and local events) and traffic flow displayed on map.

Compatible with AVIC F-Series In-Dash navigation systems only (AVIC-F90BT, AVIC-F900BT, AVIC-F700BT, AVIC-F7010BT)."

Notice the "and more" part. That may very well include a BT update. Just cool your jets and wait for it to come out. Speculation is just about as useful as watching water boil.

I didn't see on the Pioneer page or in any thread here, I would assume the iGo doesn't get upgraded to 8.3?

As was said many times here, track-up in 2D and road signs = iGO 8.3/

Also, this is why you need new maps, maps are not compatible between 8.0 and 8.3

I don't think Pioneer will be charging for the firmware update. I think if you want the map updates, you will have to pay and those come with the firmware update, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to download just the firmware once it is released. I think people are assuming too much. Just my nickels worth :).

I don't think Pioneer will be charging for the firmware update. I think if you want the map updates, you will have to pay and those come with the firmware update, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to download just the firmware once it is released. I think people are assuming too much. Just my nickels worth :).

I didn't see on the Pioneer page or in any thread here, I would assume the iGo doesn't get upgraded to 8.3?

As was said many times here, track-up in 2D and road signs = iGO 8.3/

Also, this is why you need new maps, maps are not compatible between 8.0 and 8.3

To be fair Pioneer is not charging a cent firmware update. They are charging us for the map update. What SUCKS is that they are forcing us to pay for the map update to get the firmware fixes. I don't know if I would buy another Pioneer product again... that includes tv's, dvd/blueray players etc. just plain bad customer service. :(

Well if they charge us for the package, and won't allow us to get this fix for free, then they are charging for it. Otherwise that would be like saying I just got an xbox for free, but I had to pay 300 bucks for the controller.

Since Pioneer has not released it yet, I guess I should really hold my judgment, but this really is their last opportunity to keep me as any potential future customer.

Guy guys guys... cool your jets. BorisM hit the nail on the head:

"Maps are not compatible between iGo 8.0 and iGo 8.3".

Think about this for a second. Pioneer CANNOT provide us a firmware-only update, since that won't work with old map data!!! Thus, the only way to get the firmware update is with the map upgrade as well.

The normal price for the map upgrade is $120-130, but Jason is saying Pioneer is going to offer it at $70. Seems like a decent move on their part, IMO.

Guy guys guys... cool your jets. BorisM hit the nail on the head:

"Maps are not compatible between iGo 8.0 and iGo 8.3".

Think about this for a second. Pioneer CANNOT provide us a firmware-only update, since that won't work with old map data!!! Thus, the only way to get the firmware update is with the map upgrade as well.

The normal price for the map upgrade is $120-130, but Jason is saying Pioneer is going to offer it at $70. Seems like a decent move on their part, IMO.

Well that is pioneer usa, here in europe they are talking about € 149....when i asked the question don't you think it's a little odd to pay that much for an update on a month old unit, they said, thats a commercial desicion made by headquarters, go to your local dealer for a discount....

It seems in the usa it's possible why not in europe?

I just got off the phone with "lack of customer service" for Pioneer Canada. Confirming the ver 3.0 will be out within 1 month. He did not know the cost, but did confirm that the firmware and new maps would be combined.

I complained about the Blue tooth calling never working, and buying a unit in 2009(may28th) with maps for 2007.

His reply , use my 30 day return policy.