AVIC411.com

Free update to 3.0 if bought after may 2009

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just talked to Pioneer Norway, and because I bought the avic 900 after may 2009, the software update to 3.0 (including maps) is free. If I stop by their office, he could install it right away :)

You lucky bastard, when i asked pioneer in the netherlands, this was a no go!

Mine is bought in june, strange that they have a different policy.

Maybe i'll ask again.

There's really no reason for them to supply "new" owners with the 3.0 firmware for free. The unit is still the exact same as "old" owners' units. There's absolutely no difference, so it would be unfair for them to give free updates to some, and charge others.

Bam.

/thread

There's really no reason for them to supply "new" owners with the 3.0 firmware for free. The unit is still the exact same as "old" owners' units. There's absolutely no difference, so it would be unfair for them to give free updates to some, and charge others.

Bam.

/thread

I think if they are offering it for free it is because the people who bought after may 09 bought a unit that was severely outdated. I bought mine in may 09 also, but when i ordered the 3.0 update (US) i asked about getting it for free because they sold a unit with maps that were 2 years old on it and was told no also. That is just my thought, not saying that anybody who got theirs before 09 should not receive a free update. In my opinion the update should come 2 diff ways. 1). Free bug fix without maps and igo8.3 and 2). paid for with 8.3 and new maps.

There have been some seculation on a free 3.0 without 8.3 and maps, but i have not read anywhere that confirms that.

Bam.

/thread

The reason they should do it is simple, customer relations, I have Nikon digital cameras and get firmware upgrades FOC from their web site when they fix bugs or make improvements, I will continue to buy Nikon.

Pioneer have posted firmware updates for their TV's their DVD's and other products, why not this product? Charging for the Maps I understand but Firmware upgrades which by their own admission fix bugs should be FOC.

The reason they should do it is simple, customer relations, I have Nikon digital cameras and get firmware upgrades FOC from their web site when they fix bugs or make improvements, I will continue to buy Nikon.

Pioneer have posted firmware updates for their TV's their DVD's and other products, why not this product? Charging for the Maps I understand but Firmware upgrades which by their own admission fix bugs should be FOC.

Every firmware upgrade so far has been free. 3.0 is map upgrade, so it costs money. This has been rehashed only a thousand times here...

Every firmware upgrade so far has been free. 3.0 is map upgrade, so it costs money. This has been rehashed only a thousand times here...

It's really not that simple, is it? I mean the issue stems from Pioneer BUNDLING the firmware and maps together. What they SHOULD be doing is separating them. Firmware 3.0 should be free, and the maps should cost whatever they cost.

It's really not that simple, is it? I mean the issue stems from Pioneer BUNDLING the firmware and maps together. What they SHOULD be doing is separating them. Firmware 3.0 should be free, and the maps should cost whatever they cost.

It is, and has been discussed as well. With 3.0 you get a significant Navi upgrade (iGO 8.0 to iGO 8.3) with new and incompatible map format.