AVIC411.com

Buy now! 60 Dollar price on mapupdate w/3.0

I agree, comparing the ipod and the Avic-F is not fair. The iPod actually works well, where as the AVIC-F is a frustrating piece of crap.

Its like comparing a Pinto to a Ferrari.... the AVIC-F is the Pinto in this case. I just wish mine would explode so I could get the Kenwood.

Maybe I have some left over fireworks somewhere that can help.

If you're that unhappy with your unit you should probably sell it and get a new one.

Not only will it make you happier, it will give you a lot more credibility when you bash the unit.

I actually tried to sell it a while back. Problem is I paid 1000 bucks for it, and the ebay listing barely hit 500 bucks WITH XM reciever, and more thrown in.

Instead of setting fireworks off it, let someone have it for $500. You are still going to be $500 ahead than setting it on fire.

I agree, it is not as trouble prone as other units out there, but if you know how to run a windows based computer, you know how to get this thing working. Once in a while I lose bluetooth, and occasionally I get the blue screen of death. It all seems to be related to how hot it is. If I am not running A/C, or the car has been sitting in the hot sun for a while, I seem to get more errors. Once the car is cooled off, or in the winter, the unit is functioning fine.

All in all, for the price most of us paid (under $400) there is no comparison. And occasional reboot does not break my day.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right...,I have not a clue what sort of changes 3.0 does to the unit...

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 26&start=0

as for the stealing from them nonsense...I don't want to...but they are forcing maps down our throats in order to get a firmware update.

1) Firmware updates aren't always free. Especially, since this is a major OS update, not some bug fixes. If you're dying from some bug (a real bug, not some inconvenience) they haven't addressed (unlikely) you might have a leg to stand on.

2) They aren't forcing you to do anything. In fact, you're making all the choices for ... yourself! YEAH FREE WILL!

3) Bottom line, if you don't want to steal, then don't steal. It's really that simple.

For all the people complaining about early F series users being guinea pigs......It's the price you get for being an early adopter. History has shown that it's never a good idea to buy a new piece of technology as soon as it comes out. There is always a price to be paid for lack of patience.

Remember the first generation iPhone users who immediately bought the iPhone the day it came out, only for it to be rendered almost obsolete less than a year later? Same concept. You are free to purchase new technology the minute it's released....just don't complain about bugs when you do. It's the simple have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too analogy.

I think the $120 price is justified......$60 even more so. If you are completely happy with your unit and the maps, then don't buy the upgrade. If you are not happy (my maps kind of suck - in NYC, it has absolutely no idea what to do around the Lincoln Tunnel), then buy it. Simple.

The Iphone did what it was advertised to do. Infact it did these things so well that it spawned an array of clones throughout the cell phone market. the F series falled on its ass WHEN PLAYING A SONG FROM THE SD SLOT.

And as for the 1 year life...well thats bullshit, sure apple might have replaced the iphone with a newer model, but that didn't immediately make the old one useless.

Would i pay for a map update? Absolutely...i understand that there are licencing fees for things of that nature...but to force us to pay for thoes extras just to fix something that should have worked properly from day one is a spit in the face.

As for the ranting on a message board...well I see it as a way to vent...the best way to fight back at this point is to use my wallet, and i intend to by getting my hands of the pirated copy(if it comes out) of not buying the damed thing at all, and next time i need a new head unit or any other major piece of equipment, simply avoid pioneer.

Dark

PS...I know that it will be a cold day in hell before pioneer releases this update for free...all im saying is that it would be nice if they did.

A comparison versus and Iphone is completely unfair. You pay a monthly subscription for a service.

A more appropriate comparison is versus the Itouch, which you DO pay for software updates.

Also, what bugs are you guys talking about? Aside from the HD stations not showing on presets and a very rare SD song cut-off (I have a 30 min commute each way and I get this bug maybe once per month), I have zero bug complaints. Sure, the unit is slow, but that not a bug...

Pay to update your itouch? First off, there is no such thing as an Itouch. It is called the iPod touch... unless you like to touch yourself at night then that's your call.

2nd do you even own an iPod touch? if so who the hell have you been paying money to for an update? it definitely isn't Apple... I own an iPhone, iPod Classic, and a MBA. NONE of which I have paid for an update.

Quit speaking like you are God until you get your facts straight.

Pay to update your itouch? First off, there is no such thing as an Itouch. It is called the iPod touch... unless you like to touch yourself at night then that's your call.

2nd do you even own an iPod touch? if so who the hell have you been paying money to for an update? it definitely isn't Apple... I own an iPhone, iPod Classic, and a MBA. NONE of which I have paid for an update.

Yes, I touch myself, but that's besides the point.

The point is I was obviously talking about the iPod Touch. I'm glad you made that connection all by yourself.

And since you're a bit...umm... well let's just go point by point here.

1) No, I don't own any Apple products, and it really isn't relevant.

B) The OS 3.0 update for the iPod Touch is not free. It costs $10. (Oops, I meant $9.95. Didn't mean to confuse you there. http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/softwareupdate.html)

iii) OS updates for the iPhone are free. That is, if you don't consider that you are getting your ass raped by AT&T via monthly subscription; who in turn gives Apple some kickbacks.

four) Grats on owning a bunch of Apple products and dropping all that knowledge on me?

V) I am not a god.

Damn they just updated the order page, it no longer says COMING SOON! It says "This promotional price is only available while supplies last. Will not ship until August." Before it said late July or early August.

Who knows when it will ship now eh? Hopefully it wont read september next!

Yes, I touch myself, but that's besides the point.

The point is I was obviously talking about the iPod Touch. I'm glad you made that connection all by yourself.

And since you're a bit...umm... well let's just go point by point here.

1) No, I don't own any Apple products, and it really isn't relevant.

B) The OS 3.0 update for the iPod Touch is not free. It costs $10. (Oops, I meant $9.95. Didn't mean to confuse you there. http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/softwareupdate.html)

iii) OS updates for the iPhone are free. That is, if you don't consider that you are getting your ass raped by AT&T via monthly subscription; who in turn gives Apple some kickbacks.

four) Grats on owning a bunch of Apple products and dropping all that knowledge on me?

V) I am not a god.

Ouch, I stand corrected in regards to the update charge for the iPod touch.

Didn't pay anything for my 3.0 firmware update for the iPhone. AT&T doesn't get shit from me as I am with T-mobile.

Still doesn't justify you belittling others.

Oh, wait, sorry Jesus.

I agree, comparing the ipod and the Avic-F is not fair. The iPod actually works well, where as the AVIC-F is a frustrating piece of crap.

Its like comparing a Pinto to a Ferrari.... the AVIC-F is the Pinto in this case. I just wish mine would explode so I could get the Kenwood.

Maybe I have some left over fireworks somewhere that can help.

Before I purchased my F90bt, I was debating back and forth between it and the kenwood unit. I had a really hard time deciding. I got ripped on eBay purchasing a Kenwood so I said screw it and went out and got the F90bt locally.

I just went on a road trip in a friend's car with the Kenwood and it sucks! The UI is like MS-DOS! The screen is grainy and not close to being as clear as Pioneer's.

What I've noticed with my F series, is that it's very similar to my old slow celeron laptop. You have to let it completly boot up before touching anything otherwise it will have lots of random problems.

Ouch, I stand corrected in regards to the update charge for the iPod touch.

Didn't pay anything for my 3.0 firmware update for the iPhone. AT&T doesn't get shit from me as I am with T-mobile.

Believe it or not, the distinction (and reason for the charge in the first place) is due to general corporate accounting rules. The iPhone has no fee because it is accounted for differently than the iPod Touch. It has something to do with the fact that the iPhone has ongoing subscription fees and the Touch does not.