AVIC411.com

if anybody need, extract files from WINCEIMG.BIN

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3da5 ... e37b913e74

For anyone wanting to play with an alpha version of the software.

You must trim your default.reg file down a little (remove some unused crap inside) in order for it to generate an image successfully.

*edit* this alpha software is old now. Go to the Wiki's "Modify Base OS" page to download the most recent beta version.

The "Modify Base OS" wiki page now has my avic-modder beta application link with full functionality. You just need to copy your WINCEIMG.BIN file off of your "My Flash Drive" and open it with this program. If how to use it isn't obvious for you, just pm me.

The "Modify Base OS" wiki page now has my avic-modder beta application link with full functionality. You just need to copy your WINCEIMG.BIN file off of your "My Flash Drive" and open it with this program. If how to use it isn't obvious for you, just pm me.

I am using an AVIC-X710BT, where exactly is located the WINCEIMG.BIN and .CKS files?

I don't have it inside "My Flash Disk" folder.

Thanks.

I am using an AVIC-X710BT, where exactly is located the WINCEIMG.BIN and .CKS files?

I don't have it inside "My Flash Disk" folder.

Thanks.

If it's not there, you could always pull it from one of the official upgrade images for the X-series Pioneer has on their site. It's usually under a folder in the upgrade image, at least it is for the F-series upgrade images.

Yeah, from what I know, after upgrading to FW 3.0x, a F-Series AVIC will be become a X-Series AVIC, so their firmware should be the same.

I just don't want to miss something when performing a complete backup, I mean COMPLETE.

Is there anyone who has knowledge on this, or refer me to another post for complete backup?

Thanks.

You're system's complete "state" is all stored on the internal flash storage drive. This drive is seen as the "My Flash Disk" directory in Windows Explorer. When you look at the whole Windows directory itself, the files you see aren't actually sitting on a real drive, they've been extracted at boot time from the flash disk and put into a RAM disk. That's why if you make any change to the files in the Windows directory, they're all wiped out on reboot. So, even though the Windows directory and boot files don't show up in "My Flash Disk", that's where they got extracted from. All the other files (like the navigation and bluetooth stuff) are stored in extracted for on the actual flash disk. Only the Windows/boot files are packaged up and extracted at boot time.

That was all just to help you visualize it. My main point is that a "full backup" of your unit is copying everything from the internal Flash Disk, including system and hidden files. Even though you see items outside of "My Flash Disk", they all originally came from there at boot time.

I'd find the WINCEIMG.BIN file first and worry about backing everything else up later. The most important thing is to find and backup your Windows image. Remember, in Windows there is a check box option for viewing hidden files and a separate check box for allowing you to view protected OS files. Make sure you can see both.

Where do you live? If it happens to be in the AZ area, you could stop by and I could help you do everything.

Yeah, from what I know, after upgrading to FW 3.0x, a F-Series AVIC will be become a X-Series AVIC, so their firmware should be the same.

I just don't want to miss something when performing a complete backup, I mean COMPLETE.

Is there anyone who has knowledge on this, or refer me to another post for complete backup?

Thanks.

Hey EEGeek,

You surprise me on your offering to help complete strangers. Sincerely thank you from my heart :oops: . I live in Canada though :mrgreen: .

Appreciate your detailed explanation on the file/folder structure, I already backup everything from the "My Flash Disk" with System and Hidden files showing turned ON. My only concern is the WINCEIMG.BIN and .CKS files.

Just FYI: with the F or X Series, the customized settings are not resetted upon system restart, because they are back-powered by the car's battery when the system is turned "OFF", unlike the F500 Series. They are however resetted after entering Testmode.

Correct me if I am wrong, the WinCE and .BIN and .CKS are in EEPROM or some kind of flash ROM, you can only modify them when you are in Service Mode and reprogram them.

From the great works that you have done, I would think that I could theoretically embed my own prefered fonts and registry setting directly into the WINCEIMG.BIN file, then flash the unit using the Service Mode, so no more tedious reworks after entering the Testmode. Is this the point of your works?

Thanks again. :wink: