AVIC411.com

2009 Scion xB Release Series 6 with Avic F900BT

Thanks guys, I have completed my 3.0 upgrade and my hardware bypass, and everything worked OK on a short 25mph test ride. Here's our accumulated wisdom:

Hardware bypass for Avic F900BT on the 2009 Scion xB Release series 6

1. Pull the fascia off the dash around the radio (big piece with vents and small piece underneath the radio), undo bolts, pull radio.

2. Relocate mute wire as detailed elsewhere. I pushed the pin out with a nail and pulled it into its new location with a needlenose pliers.

You will probably want to remove some or all of the wrap tape on the radio wires to continue. I just pulled it off.

3. Using tap splice conectors and a short length of wire, connect the relocated mute wire to the radio ground wire (black wire pin 15 on the power harness). You don't need to cut the relocated mute wire.

4. Locate the parking brake wire on the power harness. On the xB plug it's red and white, NOT green.

5. Using the same methods and materials as step 3, connect the parking brake wire to the same radio ground wire.

(At this point, you can check your work by seeing if the Address button works without the parking brake on.)

6. CUT the red-and-white parking break wire on the CAR side of the tap splice connecter you installed. In other words, the red and white parking brake wire from the radio should be electrically connected to the radio ground wire and nothing else. If you skip this step, the car will think your parking brake is always on and will beep at you incessantly. (Ask me how I know).

I did NOT have to perform and software mods to get this to work. Now my passenger can navigate, dial, and play video while the car is driving.

PLEASE don't play with the radio too much while you are driving -- I don't want you to kill somebody. It would be so easy.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the instructions specific to the xB - I plan to do the mod this weekend.

One interesting note: I saw a youtube video on performing the mod (not on a Scion), and the guy who did it did NOT ground either wire. What he did was to re-locate the mute wire and then splice it to the brake wire (I think the brake wire to the car-side was cut)! It seems a bit simpler, but wondering if it makes any difference? I guess the basic difference is that it isn't grounded.

Kevin

Hey guys I also have a RS6 - My friend did the parking brake mod using a relay.

Since there are so many of you here though I have to beg of you a favor.

Can any of you get me the RS6 splash screen? I lost mine in modding :( I have been searching forever!

Thanks!

If you want a few bucks via PayPal or something I will!

Can any of you get me the RS6 splash screen? I lost mine in modding :( I have been searching forever!

I got the RS 6.0 wallpaper from the OP in this thread: http://www.scikotics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54938 (note this is a different site)

PM me your email address and I'll send it to ya if you still need it. Props go to him.

On a different note.... but still related to the xB RS 6.0....

Any tips on optimizing the sound settings? I'm really thinking I might need to replace the current speakers... I just can't make them sound "right" to me.... then again they are factory speakers.... do they ever sound right? ;)

I got the RS 6.0 wallpaper from the OP in this thread: http://www.scikotics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54938 (note this is a different site)

PM me your email address and I'll send it to ya if you still need it. Props go to him.

On a different note.... but still related to the xB RS 6.0....

Any tips on optimizing the sound settings? I'm really thinking I might need to replace the current speakers... I just can't make them sound "right" to me.... then again they are factory speakers.... do they ever sound right? ;)

Thanks so much man I just sent you a PM - As far as the sound quality I was really dissapointed to . I have yet to find a setting that makes me happy. I just can't afford new speakers right now.

Hey guys I also have a RS6 - My friend did the parking brake mod using a relay.

Since there are so many of you here though I have to beg of you a favor.

What is the purpose of the relay?

I just asked him for an explanation he said it provides a brief ground signal after bootup and it was his belief that it needed to see it after bootup. Whatever it works! lol

1. Pull the fascia off the dash around the radio (big piece with vents and small piece underneath the radio), undo bolts, pull radio.

Thank you for posting a nice set of instructions for us xB owners! :D

I do have one question before I mangle my wife's box. Any tips on getting the fascia off without scuffing it up? Is it yankable with your fingers or do you need a tool?

Thanks!!

I do have one question before I mangle my wife's box. Any tips on getting the fascia off without scuffing it up? Is it yankable with your fingers or do you need a tool?

That first sentence made me laugh :)

The fascia pulls off with some gentle pressure (at least it did in my case). It will probably help if the interior of the car is nice and warm, since it makes the plastic a bit more flexible.

Pay attention when re-installing it as it looks the same upside-down. If I remember correctly, it has a connecting "tab" on the top side...

Hope that helps,

Kevin

I found it a little easier to use the airvents on either side of the radio to pull from. It pulls off really easy. There is also a small fascia piece mounted just under the radio that must come off too. This piece also just pulls off easy.

I actually replaced the factory tweeters with some old Infinity Kappa tweeters I saved, and also replaced the rear door speakers with some component 3 way 6 1/2s also Infinity Kappa. The system sounds so much cleaner now. I was just driving today, the volume not even up that loud. I can totally tell the difference. I have custom EQ settings and love the sound now. I did notice that the factory front mids are poly cone unlike the rear door speakers which were paper cone. But I also heard that the rear door speakers are made to be lower in volume than the front, but with the replacements I put in there it still sounds nice all the way around.

I actually replaced the factory tweeters ...

Hey this is interesting to hear about, I am sad that I don't still have my old Kappa's! Any tips or info about how to replace the factory tweeters, or how big the replacements can be?

Did you connect them to the factory wires or run new?

Did you add a crossover or use whatever's already in the xB?

Sorry for all the questions but I am interested to hear anything you can share! Thanks.

Here is a pic of the install. 21139410024_large.jpg

Here is how I mounted them, took out the factory tweeter grill and tweet, mounted the Infinitys on the outside. Not the cleanest but barely noticable. As you can tell the infinity is rather large compared to the factory set, but it works. I had the Infinity crossover that came with the set, the old mids were only 4.5 inch and the foam surrounds were deteriorated and left them in my old truck when I got rid of it. I just tapped into the factory connection. One thing about the factory plug, it is a 4 pin connector and I had to add like a two prong connector to each wire of the Infinity for them to work, but It works great and the crossover fit behind the door panel with no problem. I was kind of limited on time, so I didn't get to take pictures of the whole install, but it is pretty straight forward.