AVIC411.com

As far as I know, the Pioneer units sold here and in Europe do not use the same GPS system. GPS and communications satellites are stationary (as seen from Earth), which is why your satellite TV dish doesn't have to move. You can't see US satellites from Germany because of 'line-of-sight'(see the movie Independence Day), so just a software change probably wouldn't make a US nav unit work over there.
The satellites belong to the US Military and also cover Europe . The Tomtom 910 PND comes with maps for North America and Europe installed.I would call Pioneer to see if they have maps for your unit first then maybe take a look at the 910 . I have a Tomtom and they have great nav graphics. It also has blue tooth and stores MP3s and when you come back you can use it here. Oh, I'm pretty sure Pioneer sells nav units in Europe just don't know if if the maps are interchangeable.
Those are both very nice PORTABLE GPS's. Does anyone know of a in dash GPS that has both Europe and US? The reason why i dont want a portable one that sits on your dashboard is so people wont be tempted to just break window to snatch it and run. VS an in dash unit w/ a detachable face plate and 5% tint so it makes it some what harder to steal and see.