AVIC411.com

Pioneer AVIC antenna connections..

OK, anyone here have pointers regarding the Pioneer AVIC F7010BT (same as F700BT) antenna connections in a 2008 Audi A4 (B7)?

I got the adapter from ENFIG.com, but... there are TWO antenna connectors in the Audi. The AVIC only has one so the question is; how to connect the other from the Audi?

Notice that with the AVIC the AM reception is pretty much non existent (only able to get one station in DFW) whereas with the OEM radio got boatloads of AM stations..

Have the antenna wire hooked up to the antenna wire of the AVIC and set in the AVIC to "Power"

Suggestions? Hints?

I am in the same boat with you on this one. I have been able to get some AM reception by making sure that the power is connected to the antenna. (That is the way it works with Toyotas). Problem is I have major noise from the alternator. The rest of the AM band is very marginal. I also have the two antenna connector system and have searched for some type of Y connector, but have not yet been successful.

Hopefully some one has a fix and we can both get our AM bands.

regards,

M

I have had an AVIC in my 2008 Audi A4 for a year. My installer and I BOTH gave up on ever finding an adapter that allows BOTH the AM and FM leads from the car's antenna to connect. We looked at every Metra, VW, Audi, etc. antenna adapter out there and simply couldn't find one that does the trick. I decided I don't care about AM so we just connected the FM. If you ever find one that does both, let us know!

Some car manufacturers (Audi f.i.) use antenna amplifiers, that are powered by supplying the 12 Volt signal over the antenna cable....

If this is the case, the antenna signal will be rubbish with the Avic, as the amplifier will not be powered....

You will need a "phantom power adapter" in this case, that allows you to power the amplifier over the antenna cable....

See f.i. here for an example:

http://www.carsystemshop.nl/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=2511&osCsid=509fc2fb189f08b98b088d7d065a54d3

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/40_EU55.html

or here:

http://www.rondevries.nl/index.php?page=producten_bekijken/detail.php&product_nr=15195&hoofdgroep=121&subgroep=1500

and here for twin:

http://www.celsusice.co.uk/product_details.aspx?Product_code=AAN2203

Does anyone know if the two antenna connections are for?

is one FM and the other AM? Satellite? My Audi is an 2008 A4, came from the factory with the Symphony sound system, NO satellite radio, NO Bose, NO Navigation.. Yet connecting to it in the back are TWO antenna's...

is one FM and the other AM? Satellite? My Audi is an 2008 A4, came from the factory with the Symphony sound system, NO satellite radio, NO Bose, NO Navigation.. Yet connecting to it in the back are TWO antenna's...

Diversity antenna.

Diversity antenna.

Thanks.. As I thought then, to get optimal reception need both connected.

i would try the ant splitter (as pictured above) and two euro ant adapters(the ones with the built in amp) and see if that does the trick, is three antenna adapters a little over kill, yes but if it works, then its worth it.

edit: the link(the last one) from jwq looks like the piece you need, it has the splitter and amp built into one unit

i would try the ant splitter (as pictured above) and two euro ant adapters(the ones with the built in amp) and see if that does the trick, is three antenna adapters a little over kill, yes but if it works, then its worth it.

edit: the link(the last one) from jwq looks like the piece you need, it has the splitter and amp built into one unit

ARGH! Contacted them, out of stock with no date on when they will have again. Going to go the dual din antenna plus another adapter route... will post results once done...

As said, I would go for something like this:

http://www.celsusice.co.uk/product_details.aspx?Product_code=AAN2203

As you also need a phantom power adapter as it's 99% certain the antenna amps are already there, but not powered.....

See also this thread:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71306

Yeah, the first link cannot find anyone who sells and has in stock. Spoke to a guy who seems knowledgeable at CarTunes today. Basically he said that:

the Antenna out lead from the AVIC does not provide enough power for the powered antenna the Audi comes with. To solve this need to simply run 12v to the Audi antenna power amplifier. Just need to figure out which wire it is now.

Also found out another interesting tidbit... since the rear speakers are amplified (factory) and the volume was too low when connected to the AVIC they instructed a simple solution they had just done another 08 A4 with the same factory stereo which was replaced with an AVIC. Plug factory stereo back up, turn volume all the way up. Turn car off, remove factory stereo and put AVIC back in. Will give it a shot...

And keep in mind that apparently, according to the experience of others, it could make a difference to which connector you hook up the antenna's, so you might have to swap them over to get best reception... :wink: