AVIC411.com

U310BT Parking Brake Bypass

I grounded my unit and have driven about 100 miles since the install with no lockout. It permanently shows parking brake as "On" under Settings > Status. If you tried grounding yours and were unsuccessful in bypassing the lockout, you may want to double-check your wiring. You probably did this, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure you fully secured the tap on the green wire to ground and it's not loose. Use pliers.

I'd actually recommend that anyone doing the install ground the AVIC to the parking break ground wire instead of the one coming from the unit if you can get to it without too much hassle. It's less likely to come back to haunt you if you get sued after a wreck, since you can at least argue that you (improperly) connected it to the e-break.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you ground the parking brake? Which wire to where?

Well, the simplest way to do the bypass is just to tap the ground wire running into the UB10BT itself. Do this by attaching the wire tap at the end of the light green wire to the black wire coming from the U310BT. Tighten the tap with pliers, and you're done. Bypass complete. This is probably what 95% of owners will do.

What I'm suggesting is that you actually run the light green wire to the parking brake, and attach it to the ground wire coming from the brake. The manual instructs you to attach the tap to the "power connector" wire of the ebrake; just attach it to the other wire (ground) and it will be bypassed. The ground wire will probably be black or white with a black stripe, but this varies by vehicle. (Check your manual.) This way, if you get in an accident, there's less likelihood that your bypass will be found (opening you up to a lawsuit), and you can claim that you at least tried to install it correctly in states where operation while bypassed is illegal.

The law varies by state; I posted a list below. Most state laws only pertain to video screens in the driver's line of sight, and in this respect the U310BT may be less of a legal problem to bypass. However, even if a bypass is legal in your state today, the law may change, you may move, or you may be pulled over in another state. Legal or not, none of this will protect you from a frivolous lawsuit claiming you were "distracted" during an accident. Wiring to the parking brake ground rather than the ground from the unit itself may offer some protection in that regard.

I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice, just my opinion. Whichever way you decide to go, let us know if you have any problems and we can try to help.

AVIC-U310BT Installation Manual

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Navigation/AVIC-U310BT_InstallationManual0526.pdf

US State Vehicle Electronics Laws

http://www.digitaltips.org/in-vehicle/stateLaws.asp

EDIT: I don't know what laws are applicable in Europe, Canada, etc. I live in Florida, where my amateur reading of the law is that a bypass is perfectly legal, since the U310 doesn't display video and the law "does not prohibit the use of an electronic display used in conjunction with a vehicle navigation system."

• 1 month later...
words, words and more words

Holy sh!t, somebody's AVIC is online and talking to us and nobody else caught this. pioneer just made these f#$%ers way too smart, next the machines will rise up against us, somebody better find and protect John Conner, he is our only hope.

Holy sh!t, somebody's AVIC is online and talking to us and nobody else caught this. pioneer just made these f#$%ers way too smart, next the machines will rise up against us, somebody better find and protect John Conner, he is our only hope.

LOL. I was trying to come up with a user name that I would remember for this site; I figured the AVIC model was as good as any when it came to a user name.

• 1 month later...
The wiring harness on my unit does not have a light green wire to ground...does any else not have a light green wire?

It is long thin light green wire and should be there as without connecting it to Handbrake terminal or ground, Unit would not allow you to use keypad at all. May be they mistakenly provided harness from Non-GPS unit, which also uses pretty much same harness, except for this wire.

• 4 weeks later...
I just installed F500BT and grounding the p-brake didn't seem to work. I hope U310BT work... I don't want to get the relay and stuff for my U310BT. Will see...

Both the F500BT and U310BT can be bypassed by grounding the ebrake. However, while the U310BT will "just work" after that, the F500BT also requires a software patch. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=17715

I just installed F500BT and grounding the p-brake didn't seem to work. I hope U310BT work... I don't want to get the relay and stuff for my U310BT. Will see...

Both the F500BT and U310BT can be bypassed by grounding the ebrake. However, while the U310BT will "just work" after that, the F500BT also requires a software patch. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=17715

Thanks for the input... I guess I have some work cut out for me. :P

• 2 months later...

So, I installed the U310 last night. I ran out of time before I could hook up the parking brake wire. I planned on doing it as the manual states, I was not going to bypass it. I just left the wire unconnected. This morning I drive to work and the GPS is functioning normally, as far as I can tell. Some functions are dim and cannot be accessed, but as soon as I stop the car those functions light up and I am able to input addresses and such. The GPS knows if you are moving are not. Am I missing something by not actually hooking up the green wire? Any problems with leaving it as is and not tearing apart the car any more?

Thanks

Some functions are dim and cannot be accessed, but as soon as I stop the car those functions light up and I am able to input addresses and such. The GPS knows if you are moving are not. Am I missing something by not actually hooking up the green wire? Any problems with leaving it as is and not tearing apart the car any more?

That's surprising; I would have guessed that the unit would be "locked down" as long as the brake wire was not connected. When you say that you can access menu normally when you "stop the car," do you mean that you can access menus when you are stopped at red lights, or only when the ignition is in ACC mode?