AVIC411.com

just got it installed

I paid $540 for mine at Best Buy (could have gotten it cheaper at Amazon, but I wanted a B&M presence to complain to if needed). I've been pleased with the first week of using it. You can certainly tell that it's a budget model, but the things it is supposed to do, it does very well - and that's all you can really ask.

• 4 weeks later...

i feel like the ipod operation is pretty good. i didnt notice any abnormally slow response. how are you hooking up your ipod? with the pioneer cable or with the Apple USB cable that came with the ipod? Using the Apple cable seems to work quite well and eliminates the needs to buy a new cable.

I bought this unit on eBay couple of days ago(Not received yet) and intend to install it in 2007 Kia Rondo.

I was wondering how/where you installed the GPS antenna. Can you run the wire all the way back and put on the roof behind the Radio antenna? Or is there a better place to put this antenna?

Also, for Microphone, which is better place, Visor? or in the Center over the Dash? Did anyone use this 2G iPhone? Any issues with that. It seems this unit does not support A2DP audio streaming from phone? is that correct?

I intend to install it myself and any hints, tips and tricks for the install would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Just installed mine last night and i'm pretty impressed overall. I have noticed the GPS freezing a few times already but a simple soft reset fixes it. I noticed that this unit reads CDs much faster than my old 8400 and it displays ID3 tags correctly unlike the 8400. I'm not used to the multi control knob thing, but i'm getting there. i took a 2.5" 500gb hard drive and connected it to the USB extension cable that I ran into my glove box and now I have a whole bunch of room for music. my current library is about 200gb. pretty sweet. haven't tried the bluetooth yet.

I bought this unit on NewBay couple of days ago(Not received yet) and intend to install it in 2007 Kia Rondo.

I was wondering how/where you installed the GPS antenna. Can you run the wire all the way back and put on the roof behind the Radio antenna? Or is there a better place to put this antenna?

Also, for Microphone, which is better place, Visor? or in the Center over the Dash? Did anyone use this 2G iPhone? Any issues with that. It seems this unit does not support A2DP audio streaming from phone? is that correct?

I intend to install it myself and any hints, tips and tricks for the install would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i installed mine in a 98 acura integra and placed the GPS antenna on my dashboard right in front of the clock. it is short enough that it doesn't obstruct my view and reception is very good. i popped the clock out of the dash, fished the green connector down and routed it through all of the wires and such down to my console. easy peasy lemon squeezy!

I haven't messed with the microphone/BT stuff yet.

Just installed mine last night and i'm pretty impressed overall. I have noticed the GPS freezing a few times already but a simple soft reset fixes it. I noticed that this unit reads CDs much faster than my old 8400 and it displays ID3 tags correctly unlike the 8400. I'm not used to the multi control knob thing, but i'm getting there. i took a 2.5" 500gb hard drive and connected it to the USB extension cable that I ran into my glove box and now I have a whole bunch of room for music. my current library is about 200gb. pretty sweet. haven't tried the bluetooth yet.

Hmm.. It sucks to hear about GPS Freezing. I think I already heard this from few people.

Did you call Pioneer about this issue? Any info from them. Hope it can be fixed with firmware updates.

I preferred this unit because it is simple and has the all the functionality I was need, and of course GPS functionality is one of the main functions. :(

Hmm.. It sucks to hear about GPS Freezing. I think I already heard this from few people.

Did you call Pioneer about this issue? Any info from them. Hope it can be fixed with firmware updates.

I preferred this unit because it is simple and has the all the functionality I was need, and of course GPS functionality is one of the main functions. :(

it has only done it when i first start the car. a simple soft reset fixes it. not a huge deal and i expect pioneer will release an update for it soon.

I bought this unit on eBay couple of days ago(Not received yet) and intend to install it in 2007 Kia Rondo.

Thanks

typically, you do not need to put a GPS antenna on the outside of the car. usually on top of the dash, in the corner will work just fine. sometimes you can even hide it under the dash but that isnt always the best choice.

i do not believe this unit has A2DP for bluetooth music, but the 2G iphone doesnt have A2DP either unless i am mistaken. i believe only the 3GS iphone has A2DP.

it has only done it when i first start the car. a simple soft reset fixes it. not a huge deal and i expect pioneer will release an update for it soon.

You mean only once it happend, or everytime you start the car?

it seems to only do it after the car has been sitting for a while. It freezes every morning when i first start it to leave for work, but if i stop to get gas and turn the car off, pump gas for a few minutes and turn the car back on it's fine. I drive to work, it sits for 8+ hrs and needs to be reset again.

this wasn't really a big deal to me at first until i realized that all of my audio settings drop when i do a soft reset. :(

i spent a good hour tweaking the audio settings only to learn they all get wiped out when i do a reset. my bluetooth settings, home, favorites and such all stay though. weird.