AVIC411.com

Request for feedback from X910BT owners?

If I missed this somewhere in this forum, please let me know but given there is only 8 threads here I thought I combed through everything pretty well :wink: I don't see any user reviews yet other than a few generally positive comments, especially with stuff like voice control after upgrading to 3.01. I'm currently torn between the X910BT and the DNX6140 and very interested in any feedback Pioneer users have about the X910BT. In particular, start up time, bluetooth function (with an iPhone 3G if anyone has one :D ), sound quality, speed of navigating through menus (both complexity of the screens as well as how fast screen load), and speed/accuracy of navigation. I have a pretty reasonable idea of the features available, mostly interested to know what people are experiencing trying to actually use it. For the most part, I will be making occasional calls with an iPhone 3G (or 3GS if I pull the trigger and upgrade), listening to my iPhone or iPod and, possibly, an MP3 CD. I plan to hookup the Pioneer backup camera and steering wheel control wire to a 2008 Nissan Altima. I'd like the voice control to work well for calls and iPod but don't feel the need for Navi control. I won't be watching movies or plugging in aux video sources. I might add an amp and new speakers down the road but I'm pretty basic with sound (cue the audiophiles sneering :D ), at least to start. I was excited for the F-series last year but then deployed to Afghanistan so it made little sense to sink the cash into a head unit that I wasn't going to be using. If anyone is coming from an F-series or has used the DNX xx40 line and can offer comparison that would be fantastic! Thanks in advance for any input from early adopters.

I can answer a couple of your questions because I only had the radio for 2 days before it crapped out after updating the firmware. The reaction time is on point with the finger presses. Everything works pretty smooth. The iPhone connection also works well. Navigating through the menus is pretty easy, although I haven't figured out to search by song title yet. (Maybe something I'm missing.) I did not that the voice recognition database takes a while to build, but you can still listen to music while it does that, or you can simply turn the feature off.

The startup time is a little slow for my taste. It's probably only 20 seconds from ignition to main menu but that seems like a while to me. I have a trailblazer SS and its wired to my steering wheel controls, and the reaction time to that is definitely lacking! I hit volume and there's at least a half second delay for every press.

That's about all I can give my opinion on because it's on its way back to Pioneer for constant re-boots. (See my thread in troubleshooting) http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=26144

well its only sonicelectronix for 899, but i have a credit of 200 with them from a car alarm order that the fugged up on my birthday. the only have decent prices for the 700bt i think they have it going for $430 and with free shipping. i mean i cant say how they are, just because my girl placed the order for the alarm and the guy told her it would be brand new and it wasn't and the guy said they would us a brand new one and it was all through email and documented but that never happened so we sent it back. and i was going to just order another 1, but they wouldn't give me free shipping for messing up so i said scrap it. then they tried to just give me store credit (which i ended up still getting) but i said no thanks ill just call the bank and have them refund me the money. so im happy i still have credit with them lol.

I have had the X910BT for about 3 weeks and I love it! I have a 3G Iphone and it works great with the bluetooth and is very clear when I am on the phone... no echos at all. It was easy to upload all my contacts. I have steering wheel control and rear view camara and both work amazingly. The boot time is about 25 seconds but the rear view camara comes on in about 3-5 seconds and the music starts playing around 10 seconds. Voice recon is nice as well and most of the time does what I ask it to do on the first attempt. I wish the navigation had voice recon too. The navigation is easy to use and navigating thru the screens is self explanitory. Getting your route set up is quick as well.

I paid $770 on ebay with free shipping and with all accessories spend about $900... that included harness, dash kit, ipod, rear camera and steering control.

I have had the X910BT for about 3 weeks and I love it! I have a 3G Iphone and it works great with the bluetooth and is very clear when I am on the phone... no echos at all. It was easy to upload all my contacts. I have steering wheel control and rear view camara and both work amazingly. The boot time is about 25 seconds but the rear view camara comes on in about 3-5 seconds and the music starts playing around 10 seconds. Voice recon is nice as well and most of the time does what I ask it to do on the first attempt. I wish the navigation had voice recon too. The navigation is easy to use and navigating thru the screens is self explanitory. Getting your route set up is quick as well.

I paid $770 on ebay with free shipping and with all accessories spend about $900... that included harness, dash kit, ipod, rear camera and steering control.

lindsey09, thanks very much for this feedback as it addresses several very specific questions that were on my mind. So, the 25 seconds boot time is until you can actually start using the controls of the head unit? Is that normal for a unit like this? I suppose in general when I turn on my car I just go and don't need to mess with the controls or stereo much. But, I could imagine it might feel annoying if you were just sitting there waiting to use it. Funny that 25 seconds seems like a long time in our culture... "C'mon Pioneer, I don't have all minute!" ;-) The camera coming on quickly seems important, though. That is something that would be annoying to have to wait for so good news there. I am beginning to appreciate the idea of voice control for nav a bit more so I hear where you are coming from... but paying another $600 for it is not worth it to me. Personally, I think I'll use the included MSNDirect (I know there's a subscription fee, but $100 for life ain't bad!) much more frequently than voice control on the navigation system.

A few more questions if you are up for it... If a phone call comes in to your iPhone while it's connected to the cable and playing music, what happens? What happens to music playback when the call is ended... does it just resume where it was? Does the headunit remember what you were playing last on the iPhone when you reconnect it... in other words, do you have to fiddle with the iPhone to get it back to your music playlist or whatever each and every time you connect it or is there some "memory" that he HU has for it allowing to just pick back up where it left off? Also, sounds like got the iPod/iPhone cable (the recommended one from Pioneer?), steering wheel control and backup camera for only $130 total? Did you get the Pioneer ND-BC2 camera or something else? Did you buy all that from one person or just shopped around on ebay for best prices? Thanks for any additional info!

I can answer a couple of your questions because I only had the radio for 2 days before it crapped out after updating the firmware. The reaction time is on point with the finger presses. Everything works pretty smooth. The iPhone connection also works well. Navigating through the menus is pretty easy, although I haven't figured out to search by song title yet. (Maybe something I'm missing.) I did not that the voice recognition database takes a while to build, but you can still listen to music while it does that, or you can simply turn the feature off.

The startup time is a little slow for my taste. It's probably only 20 seconds from ignition to main menu but that seems like a while to me. I have a trailblazer SS and its wired to my steering wheel controls, and the reaction time to that is definitely lacking! I hit volume and there's at least a half second delay for every press.

That's about all I can give my opinion on because it's on its way back to Pioneer for constant re-boots. (See my thread in troubleshooting) http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=26144

Yikes! Did you get any feedback from other users that were experiencing something similar with the constant reboots? I read your linked post about it and sounds like a real frustration to be sending back something you just installed. Maybe I should I download the firmware update and have my installer try to do this before I have everything totally put together in the car? That way I'm not driving away after all the labor to put it in there and just have to take it all out again??? I'm guessing this isn't a common problem (hopefully!) but if you're the one it happens to then it's a real nuisance!

lindsey09, thanks very much for this feedback as it addresses several very specific questions that were on my mind. So, the 25 seconds boot time is until you can actually start using the controls of the head unit? Is that normal for a unit like this? I suppose in general when I turn on my car I just go and don't need to mess with the controls or stereo much. But, I could imagine it might feel annoying if you were just sitting there waiting to use it. Funny that 25 seconds seems like a long time in our culture... "C'mon Pioneer, I don't have all minute!" ;-) The camera coming on quickly seems important, though. That is something that would be annoying to have to wait for so good news there. I am beginning to appreciate the idea of voice control for nav a bit more so I hear where you are coming from... but paying another $600 for it is not worth it to me. Personally, I think I'll use the included MSNDirect (I know there's a subscription fee, but $100 for life ain't bad!) much more frequently than voice control on the navigation system.

A few more questions if you are up for it... If a phone call comes in to your iPhone while it's connected to the cable and playing music, what happens? What happens to music playback when the call is ended... does it just resume where it was? Does the headunit remember what you were playing last on the iPhone when you reconnect it... in other words, do you have to fiddle with the iPhone to get it back to your music playlist or whatever each and every time you connect it or is there some "memory" that he HU has for it allowing to just pick back up where it left off? Also, sounds like got the iPod/iPhone cable (the recommended one from Pioneer?), steering wheel control and backup camera for only $130 total? Did you get the Pioneer ND-BC2 camera or something else? Did you buy all that from one person or just shopped around on ebay for best prices? Thanks for any additional info!

no problem, the music mutes when a phone call comes in and resumes at the same place it left off when the call is ended. I did get the pioneer Iphone connection wire on Ebay for about $15. I got a Boyo camera for about $60 on amazon. I did shop around and found it was cheaper buying from different sources. I dont think it remembers where you left off when you get back into the car but I am not sure will test it and let you know.

Yikes! Did you get any feedback from other users that were experiencing something similar with the constant reboots? I read your linked post about it and sounds like a real frustration to be sending back something you just installed. Maybe I should I download the firmware update and have my installer try to do this before I have everything totally put together in the car? That way I'm not driving away after all the labor to put it in there and just have to take it all out again??? I'm guessing this isn't a common problem (hopefully!) but if you're the one it happens to then it's a real nuisance!

I looked all over the internet and couldn't find anyone with the x-series having that problem. The dealer I bought it from switched it out for me, so I didn't have to send it back. He tried saying that there's 2 files that needed to be on the SD card which is a bunch of non-sense. I downloaded the 1 file that Pioneer offers directly from their site, and followed the instructions perfectly. He was just talking out his ass. I'm not even gonna bother installing the update on this one because I don't want to risk it again.

no problem, the music mutes when a phone call comes in and resumes at the same place it left off when the call is ended. I did get the pioneer Iphone connection wire on Ebay for about $15. I got a Boyo camera for about $60 on amazon. I did shop around and found it was cheaper buying from different sources. I dont think it remembers where you left off when you get back into the car but I am not sure will test it and let you know.

Nice on the muting with a phone call, great detail to know! Resuming at last place it was playing seems like a real nice feature and I thought some HUs allowed this, so it got me curious. The iPhone/iPod connectors I saw on eBay in the $10-15 range said "replacement part" or something that made me think they were aftermarket (ie; non-Pioneer) and might not do everything the original part does. If you got something that offers all the control features of the CD-IU230V for $15, it would be great to know who you got it from because that is about 1/3 of the price I'm seeing on Amazon :mrgreen: I saw the Boyo license place camera which, incidentally, is being given away free by Crutchfield if you buy any of their HU >$500. But, the reviews are not kind to that product... flaking plastic coating, poor camera image, fogs up after a rain and doesn't go away... how is it working for you? I'm looking at the Pioneer ND-BC2 which I can't find for less than $180 but the reviews seem pretty darn good. I'll all for a bargain, just nervous about paying to have something installed that is low quality and then just having to buy something else and pay to have that one installed when the first option breaks :cry:

I looked all over the internet and couldn't find anyone with the x-series having that problem. The dealer I bought it from switched it out for me, so I didn't have to send it back. He tried saying that there's 2 files that needed to be on the SD card which is a bunch of non-sense. I downloaded the 1 file that Pioneer offers directly from their site, and followed the instructions perfectly. He was just talking out his ass. I'm not even gonna bother installing the update on this one because I don't want to risk it again.

Yeah, once bitten twice shy, I guess. Probably a fluke, though. I read on a few forums that people found the udpate useful to speed up the unit and eliminate bluetooth connection issues and speed of accessing iPod list. I think I'll want to do the update or, if I wait a few weeks to buy the unit, perhaps it will already have the update on there :wink: I'm debating buying directly from the dealer which I will do if they price match what I can get from authorized dealers online. I don't think I'd pay more for it than an online authorized dealer price, but buying from the dealer would probably result in the same easy fix (swap it out) that you were able to utilize. I definitely like the idea of them swapping out instead of having to send back. I remember driving around a Honda Accord I used to have after the stereo was stolen (different issue, of course) with a giant hole in the dash which was not cool :x I'm guessing if I didn't buy it from them, then they'd be less inclined to just swap it out if there were problems during the warranty period.

Today I learned when listening to my music on my Iphone when I leave my car and then return, no matter how long I am gone the music returns to where it left off.

Is that if you unplug the iPhone, take it with you, then plug back in when you get back in the car? Or, do you have to leave it plugged in to get it to start back at the same place when turning car back on?