AVIC411.com

Microphone quality

So just got my U310BT all installed and it seems to be working nicely. My only complaint is that I the voice quality when using the microphone over BT is horrible. People sound great on my end, but I sound "far away" to everyone else. This is even if I talked directly into the microphone.

Is this a common problem with other Pioneer units? Is it possible to get a different microphone that may work a bit better?

Is this a common problem with other Pioneer units? Is it possible to get a different microphone that may work a bit better?

It's a Bluetooth / Setup thing- not necessarily the unit. The microphone placement will have a big effect on the quality- you may want to experiment with different spots. Mine is on the top of my steering column. You may also want to delete the phone from the Bluetooth profiles on the headunit (and delete the headunit from the phone) and re-pair the devices with the handset volume at a different level. I'm not sure how/why this works but it's worked for me before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

working with a lot of different bluetooth systems I have found that sometimes the quality can be hit or miss. sometimes in my car people tell me i sound crystal clear and the next day someone will tell me they can hardly understand me.

my thought is that sometimes when your phone links up it grabs a nice strong bluetooth connection and the next time it might be weaker. perhaps similar to why sometimes a cell phone call is cutting in and out but if you hang up and try again it will be fine even though you are in the same place.

also, other factors may affect it as well. it could be that the phone you are using has issues with bluetooth . it could be the location of the mic. it could be the mic itself isnt functioning properly. a lot of factors could come into play.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I think I did enough research on this. It is the Microphone problem. I posted a mini review and also provided info about Microphone.

I replaced mine with Garmin Mic like few people suggested, now it is much.. much better. Actually it was not usable at all, with new Garmin Microphone it is reasonbly good, but not as good as my other Bluetooth system in my Prius.

Here is link for Mic at frys, it is very cheap.

http://www.frys.com/product/4865730

Hopefully, this will solve your problem too.

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue...only it wasn't actually the mic at all...make sure that when you push the radio into place, the mic plug doesn't pull out a little...the first time I tried to call someone, they said they could just barely here me. Like I was a thousand miles away! I pulled the radio back out to remove the mic only to see it was loose...I plugged it all the way in and installed the radio again. Called someone...same issue. Pulled radio again and again plug was out. This time I pushed radio into place...then I reach under the radio to check the plug...again it was loose...I pushed it in. Called someone...perfect...person on the other side said they couldn't tell I was on speaker. So...make sure your mic is actually plugged in. It seems to pull out easily

I had the same issue...only it wasn't actually the mic at all...make sure that when you push the radio into place, the mic plug doesn't pull out a little...the first time I tried to call someone, they said they could just barely here me. Like I was a thousand miles away! I pulled the radio back out to remove the mic only to see it was loose...I plugged it all the way in and installed the radio again. Called someone...same issue. Pulled radio again and again plug was out. This time I pushed radio into place...then I reach under the radio to check the plug...again it was loose...I pushed it in. Called someone...perfect...person on the other side said they couldn't tell I was on speaker. So...make sure your mic is actually plugged in. It seems to pull out easily

Atleast in my case it was not issue, as I bench tested this Mic without even installing the unit completely into dash. Also, I anchored all my cables so they would not pull out because of some load on cables.

But again, putting a dab of silicone may not be bad idea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...