AVIC411.com

Here's the problem:

I installed an AVIC-F90BT (premiere) headunit a year ago. I performed the Pioneer Firmware upgrade to fix a few of the popular issues (bluetooth, boot-up time, nav bugs, etc.. as it has its own built-in flash drive). Everything worked perfectly afterwords, until about 3 months ago when I noticed the headunit would never remember what screen/menu it was at last when I'd turn the car back on. It remembered what source to use, but would always boot-up in the main menu instead of going to the source screen/map or where ever it was before I'd turn the car off.

I had the same issue in the AVIC-F900BT I have in another car I have. I resolved it by going into the headunit's O/S (using testmode via an SDcard), deleting all the files on the unit's flash drive and replacing them with a complete OEM file backup. Ever since then, that units worked wonderfully.

To make a long story short, I did the same thing on the AVIC-F90BT. However, something must have happened after I deleted the files on the flash-drive, because now I can't even get into the unit's O/S to put the back-up files back in. It just turns off completely just before loading up the O/S (which is windows CE).

I've looked up the issue on here and have only found 1 thread where someone has had this issue, where the person ended up sending it to Pioneer. Now, I bought it on eBay and I'm not sure of the warranty status on it. I'd really rather not go months without music in my car, hence why I'm trying to figure out if there's something I can do that I may not be informed of. I've tried going to local Pioneer distributors, but all they do is sell/install.. Not repair.

Short of sending the unit to Pioneer, is there anything I've overlooked? Is there anything I can do?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Nope, testmode initializes fine, then just as it's about to finish the unit turns off. And I mean completely off.. the backlit buttons, screen.. everything goes black. But I can still hear the unit's fan spinning, meaning there is power going to it.

I want to contact Pioneer and ask them what to do, but as it's a civic holiday here in Canada, they're closed. :evil:

Well, so much for that. I'm able to get into service mode, but the unit shuts off after roughly 13-15 seconds. No matter what I do, the unit simply turns itself off (yet the cooling fan is still on? wtf) after a short amount of time.. No where near enough time to do anything.

FAWWKK!!!!!!

Are you absolutely sure you entered the service menu correctly?

When I was updating WinCE I was pressing the buttons incorrectly. If you do not press them right, it will still go into the service menu, but the screen will shut off after 10 or so seconds while the power remains on. Also, if you only do a partial format (if the unit restarts during the WinCE updating process), the unit will go to a black screen on startup.

The correct process to get into the service menu is as follows:

1. Immediately after turning your key to accessory, you want to hold the Reset, Eject, Map, and Menu buttons.

2. After four or five seconds (the screen will still be black), you want to release the reset button.

3. After a couple of seconds, you will get the blue service menu screen, release the eject button.

4. After you release the eject button, you can release the Menu and Map buttons simultaneously.

Before pressing any buttons, wait to make sure the unit will stay booted in the service menu. Wait approximately 15 seconds to be sure. If it stays booted, then you are good and you should be able to restore the unit from there.

Alright, I was finally able to stay in a stable Service Mode screen. I updated the winCE img using the one from the 2.06 firmware update. I rebooted the system with an SD chip inside with the Testmode folders. It comes up with an error message regarding mapDBxxxx. roughly 3 seconds after the error message, the unit cuts again like the previous fashion.

What now... :evil:

Alright, so I did everything as instructed in the WinCE 3.0 update thread to a tee. I got the new WinCE img in using service mode, was able to get into test mode 2.3 and transfered the files over (x910 backup) and the 'data' files just fine. I reboot the system, took the SD card out, pressed reset and eject (as instructed) and hoped to see a nice Pioneer splash screen come up.

Yeah, instead I get a black screen and nothing else. The unit stays on though and doesn't shut itself off after 15-ish seconds.

The only thing I did that I -think- I may have done wrong is transfered the contents of the 'data' folder directly into the igo folder, meaning there isn't a 'data' folder in the 'igo' directory, just the files.

Was that my mistake? If so, how do I go about undoing it? If not, what else could be the problem??