AVIC411.com

Avic F90BT Reboots When Hot

I have a 10 month old F90BT that up until now has been reliable. I have the hardware bypass but no other hacks or mods. We started out our 6 hour trip and the radio worked fine for the first hour. I am now 2 hours into a 6 hour drive and this POS radio is rebooting like crazy. I think my unit now reboots only when it gets hot. It doesn't get hot but I mean warm from use. When reading the forum I figured it was the infamous corrupt GPS file issue. That is not the case. I deleted the GPS files and applied firmware update 2.06. I deleted the GPS files again and it keeps rebooting. It also reboots while in testmode. We stopped for gas and it worked for about 15 minutes before rebooting like crazy again. Sometimes it actually stays off for about a minute or two before it turns back on. This to me seems like a heat related issue. Has anyone else had heat related issues? More importantly does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? If I must send it back to Pioneer any advice? If you find an Avic F90BT along interstate 89 smashed to a million pieces its mine.

I have the exact same problem. Finally someone is sharing my pain!

In this forum, most people are experiencing reboots at startup. Mine doesn't do that. It reboots randomly out of no where.

I sent my unit to Pioneer and they "reloaded the software". The unit worked great daily with my commute to work (20-30 minutes). Last weekend I took a road trip and viola, problem is back again (3-4 hrs into roadtrip).

I sent the unit back in while my 2 year Premier warranty is still active. I mentioned to them could it be heat related.

What does the space behind the unit look like when installed? Keep in mind this is a computer, and if there is no room or the fan behind the unit is blocked it will overheat, especially with the temps during the summer. Either that or it is a defective unit.

Mine has no issues like this, at all. Even on a 100 degree day and its prob 130+ f in my car when its turned on, still no issues.

So it could be defective, its a complicated unit, lots of things could start to go bad. Flash memory read error, cpu overheat, ram over heat etc.

First thing I would try though is make sure you have a good 3 inches of clearance behind the unit namely behind the fan, it has to be completely clear. One place to start. If you know its clear, send it back again. It sucks, but what else can you do? format and restore I guess.

I have this issue every once-in-a-while. I've discovered that it occurs when my iPod is connected. I would suggest, assuming you have an iPod connected, simply disconnecting it and checking to see if it boots. I've found that if I manually shuffle the songs on the iPod with it disconnected, and then reconnect it, the unit will usually function fine after that. I assume this may be a bug with input from the iPod and poor interpretation from the unit.

Has it ever done this, or has it never done this until now? I would say wires are crossing, shorting out. Either that or your amp, if you have one is somehow wired wrong, you have a remote on wire that only turns on when power is detected. You definately have some issues though, not exactly a common problem.